Went to take delivery today- scratches on the front bumper - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
6Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-13-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Went to take delivery today- scratches on the front bumper

I went to pick up my 18 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring and there were scratches on the front bumper and the back driver seat leather had these horrible wrinkles in it. Looks like an 800lb person sat there. They offered to buff the scratches out and replace the seat cover. I told them that it was unacceptable and did not want the car anymore. I was a little upset but I'm not paying over $30k for a new car to receive a damaged one.

scar_cle, Capth4u and Hedwig like this.

Last edited by RickBlaine; 01-13-2018 at 04:17 PM. Reason: clarity in thread title so people know what the thread is about
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-13-2018, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

Don't blame you for not taking it. Make sure you get what you want and don't settle for things like that. Once you see the scratches your eye will always go towards that spot and see imperfection.

2018 Accord Touring 2.0T - Black/Black
post #3 of 25 Old 01-13-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmb8785 View Post
Don't blame you for not taking it. Make sure you get what you want and don't settle for things like that. Once you see the scratches your eye will always go towards that spot and see imperfection.
You are absolutely right! I started to second guess myself and was going to take them up on the offer, but decided whole-heartedly against it.

post #4 of 25 Old 01-13-2018, 05:47 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPI007 View Post
You are absolutely right! I started to second guess myself and was going to take them up on the offer, but decided whole-heartedly against it.
Absolutely, don't accept it and drive it off the lot until the car is acceptable.

With no stories or promises.

Much better than a thread about how you picked up the car at night in a snowstorm, and.....

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
post #5 of 25 Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 PM
Rollin in FL

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPI007 View Post
That second guessing helped and saved you from a massive wallet heartattack Just out of curiousity, did the salesman hit a customer's car while moving the new car?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mine:
Lucky- 1999 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4AT- 112K (SSM)

Parents:
Pato- 2016 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5L CVT- 42k (ABM)
Lelu 2.0- 2017 Acura MDX w/ Tech 3.5L 9AT-- 2100 miles (BCP)

Long gone:
Lelu- 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/navi & res 3.5L- 151k (SGM)(traded-in)
2004 Hyundia Elentra Hatchback GLS- Idk miles (Silver) totaled
post #6 of 25 Old 01-14-2018, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by datechbpss101 View Post
That second guessing helped and saved you from a massive wallet heartattack Just out of curiousity, did the salesman hit a customer's car while moving the new car?
He was saying it could have happened during delivery, I asked him what about the backseat, Did that happen during delivery as well? There was a long moment of silence! I just decided to leave at that point. Though, they have been blowing up my phone! I will give a few days before I answer.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-14-2018, 05:59 AM
REV29K

I would have done the same thing, just walk away if your new car is not in new car condition.
post #8 of 25 Old 01-14-2018, 06:09 AM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

GOOD FOR YOU!! I've been advocating that for a long time! Too may people -- and you can't blame them -- are so excited by their new car that they don't look at it skeptically. You buy a house, it's normal to get an inspection. You get a car, you should be extremely skeptical that it's got flaws.
S2k_Dude likes this.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #9 of 25 Old 01-14-2018, 06:23 AM
3rd Gear

Perhaps walking away works in this case. However, many many cars delivered in "new condition" weren't in that condition just days or hours prior to delivery. There are (were) many cracked, broken, misaligned, maladjusted, torn and whatever vehicles delivered to dealers daily. It isn't a perfect process, inspections are missed or poorly done, transporting has its own set of potential problems. Most "problems" are never known or detected by the final consumer. Replaced wheels, windshield, bumpers, computers, seats...it goes on and on. I would always give the dealer a second chance to make it right, before walking away from a price and car I had decided on. If not corrected to my satisfaction I would then move on.

Professional Honda Driver

2018 1.5 According Touring, then 2.0 Accord Touring - It's all about the torque

2015 CR-V Touring (replaced one in Avatar, totaled at three months and 3,000 miles)
post #10 of 25 Old 01-14-2018, 06:31 AM
1st Gear

Why don't you meet them halfway.... have them fix the bumper and seats and then decided to walk away or not.
post #11 of 25 Old 01-14-2018, 06:47 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekohn View Post
Why don't you meet them halfway.... have them fix the bumper and seats and then decided to walk away or not.
I might do it if they offered another, lets say $1000 off and I was happy with the fix otherwise put it in the scratch and dent section like you would an appliance.
S2k_Dude likes this.

2018 Honda Accord EX-L, 1.5L
2015 Mazda CX-5
post #12 of 25 Old 01-14-2018, 06:56 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by campverdefela View Post
I might do it if they offered another, lets say $1000 off and I was happy with the fix otherwise put it in the scratch and dent section like you would an appliance.
If the car is selling in your area, it's also possible they make it as good as new and sell for the same cost to someone else at the same price.
post #13 of 25 Old 01-14-2018, 07:05 AM
REV29K

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodan View Post
Perhaps walking away works in this case. However, many many cars delivered in "new condition" weren't in that condition just days or hours prior to delivery. There are (were) many cracked, broken, misaligned, maladjusted, torn and whatever vehicles delivered to dealers daily. It isn't a perfect process, inspections are missed or poorly done, transporting has its own set of potential problems. Most "problems" are never known or detected by the final consumer. Replaced wheels, windshield, bumpers, computers, seats...it goes on and on. I would always give the dealer a second chance to make it right, before walking away from a price and car I had decided on. If not corrected to my satisfaction I would then move on.
True, I'm sure buyers would be appalled at how many vehicles are damaged from the time they leave the factory until they get to the customer. However, that doesn't excuse the dealer for not inspecting the vehicle prior to delivery and instead hoping the customer doesn't notice all the dents, scratches, misaligned body panels, and interior flaws. I myself hold the dealers to a high standard since they claim they are there for the good of the consumer, otherwise why not purchase direct from the manufacturer? (I guess I like the way Tesla does business direct to the buyer.)

In the OP's case, the dealer had ample time to either inspect the car or maybe they were the ones that caused the damage. In either case, they are responsible to deliver the car to the customer without any cosmetic defects. Sure things get missed, but the OP is the customer, if he doesn't feel the car he is paying his hard earned money for is in new condition, then he should ask the dealer to deliver to him another vehicle.

I have asked my dealer to call me the minute the truck pulls up and they start unloading my car, I want to inspect the car upon delivery to the dealership to see for myself if there was any damage during transport. If there is, I don't need to purchase that vehicle. Also, I will inspect the car after PDI and before I sign the paperwork, again if there is damage, I don't need to purchase that vehicle. I guess I'm lucky in that I can wait and get one that, hopefully, has not had to be repaired.
post #14 of 25 Old 01-14-2018, 07:06 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by campverdefela View Post
Why would they do that? A simple buff and re-skin will save them that $1,000.00 and perhaps sell it at a higher price than what the walk away deal was.

For all the wailing and some whining on this forum and others by would be, never-would-be, disgusted and misinformed or over informed participants, all these Honda Accords will be purchased by someone. And in 98% of those cases they and the vehicle will enjoy an acceptable road life together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2k_Dude View Post
True, I'm sure buyers would be appalled at how many vehicles are damaged from the time they leave the factory until they get to the customer. However, that doesn't excuse the dealer for not inspecting the vehicle prior to delivery and instead hoping the customer doesn't notice all the dents, scratches, misaligned body panels, and interior flaws. I myself hold the dealers to a high standard since they claim they are there for the good of the consumer, otherwise why not purchase direct from the manufacturer? (I guess I like the way Tesla does business direct to the buyer.)

In the OP's case, the dealer had ample time to either inspect the car or maybe they were the ones that caused the damage. In either case, they are responsible to deliver the car to the customer without any cosmetic defects. Sure things get missed, but the OP is the customer, if he doesn't feel the car he is paying his hard earned money for is in new condition, then he should ask the dealer to deliver to him another vehicle.

I have asked my dealer to call me the minute the truck pulls up and they start unloading my car, I want to inspect the car upon delivery to the dealership to see for myself if there was any damage during transport. If there is, I don't need to purchase that vehicle. Also, I will inspect the car after PDI and before I sign the paperwork, again if there is damage, I don't need to purchase that vehicle. I guess I'm lucky in that I can wait and get one that, hopefully, has not had to be repaired.
Talking second chance to correct. Perhaps OP won't find as good a deal and will return to purchased this "corrected" "broken" car.

Why not have Marysville call you when it's going through assembly? You could at least Face time through the process and on to the truck with a webcam for the trip....LOL!

Professional Honda Driver

2018 1.5 According Touring, then 2.0 Accord Touring - It's all about the torque

2015 CR-V Touring (replaced one in Avatar, totaled at three months and 3,000 miles)

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-14-2018 at 08:56 AM.
post #15 of 25 Old 01-14-2018, 07:31 AM
REV29K

Quote:
Talking second chance to correct. Perhaps OP won't find as good a deal and will return to purchased this "corrected" "broken" car.
I'm not saying the OP should take his deposit back and go purchase somewhere else, I guess in my mind, the second chance is getting him a different car. Just saying that he shouldn't feel obligated to take whatever the dealer gives him/her, and if the buyer doesn't want a dealer repaired car, they should feel perfectly fine with asking the dealer for something else. If the dealer doesn't want to get the buyer a different vehicle, then at that point, it's time to take your business elsewhere.

Quote:
Why not have Marysville call you when it's going through assembly? You could at least Face time through the process and on to the truck with a webcam for the trip....LOL!
Wouldn't that be awesome!!!

I've had the opportunity to visit two Honda factories in AL and GA, the Ford plant in Dearborn, and the Corvette plant in Bowling Green. All the factories are amazing, the workers all do their very best for the customer. It's just too bad that does not always hold true between the vehicle leaving the factory and getting into the buyer's hands.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.