My first week of ownership thoughts/questions-2018 1.5 Touring - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
16Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-12-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

My first week of ownership thoughts/questions-2018 1.5 Touring

great car has everything i need. only negatives are minor but

-the driver side seat doesn't go high enough. i feel short and a kid sitting in the car but i am 6ft tall. all my other cars the seat height adjustment was much higher

-interior lights are old school yellow and not led; such a disgrace as the headlights are a beautiful led and one of the best around

-the rear window when raining is hard to see out of. its like it needs a wiper. the rain just stays there. the auto dimming/night mirror thing doesn't help either. i can turn it off each time to make it brighter but it always reverts back to auto dimming dark again next time i get into the car

-the stereo sucks. especially the subwoofer/bass. i can't imagine how the base version stereo sounds

-when my phone is connected to bluetooth in the car but am listening to radio the text message buzzes in my pocket instead of beeping even if i dont have silent on my phone. anyway to hear it while still connected to the car?

-will the tmps only tell me when the tire pressure is low? i can't monitor the psi myself?

thank you

The Following User Says Thank You to 5abi For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (01-13-2018)
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-12-2018, 10:24 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Was this car a surprise gift given to you?

The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
cookieman214 (01-13-2018)
post #3 of 21 Old 01-12-2018, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

-the stereo sucks. especially the subwoofer/bass. i can't imagine how the base version stereo sounds

Agree with you. Its like the cabin is too big and the music can't fill it up.

-will the tmps only tell me when the tire pressure is low? i can't monitor the psi myself?

Yeah, disappointing

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 21 Old 01-12-2018, 10:47 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
We live in exciting times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asdf002 View Post

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
No need to! You can stop by the dealer and test it for yourself if you are in the USA or Canada!
cookieman214 likes this.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #5 of 21 Old 01-12-2018, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5abi View Post

-the driver side seat doesn't go high enough. i feel short and a kid sitting in the car but i am 6ft tall. all my other cars the seat height adjustment was much higher

-interior lights are old school yellow and not led; such a disgrace as the headlights are a beautiful led and one of the best around

-the rear window when raining is hard to see out of. its like it needs a wiper. the rain just stays there. the auto dimming/night mirror thing doesn't help either. i can turn it off each time to make it brighter but it always reverts back to auto dimming dark again next time i get into the car

-when my phone is connected to bluetooth in the car but am listening to radio the text message buzzes in my pocket instead of beeping even if i dont have silent on my phone. anyway to hear it while still connected to the car?

thank you
1) Driver seat adjustments are designed nominal in relation to windshield visibility. Any higher, you're viewpoint would be creeping up on the roof line. Also, all due respect, if sitting higher was a big issue, SUV would have been the better choice

2) I agree here on the lights. LED could have been easily used here.

3) Rain on back windshield, no problems for me but I did use Rainx water repellent. I recommend you do as well.

4) Stereo wasn't a problem for me but I do agree, its subpar

5) No issues with my phone. I have Iphone. Works great for me.

6) TPMS only tells you when pressure is low based on roll speed of each tire. No PSI information is provided

I'll add another point to the list:

6) The control arms for lights and windshield wiper controls should have illuminated at night for easier adjustments. Big fail here for Honda (least for me)

Chris
DAV0320 likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-12-2018, 11:32 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notte View Post
1)

6) The control arms for lights and windshield wiper controls should have illuminated at night for easier adjustments. Big fail here for Honda (least for me)

Chris
100% agree on that. I said that to my wife just the other night, even the paddle shifters are illuminated. I get that the headlight icon on the cluster illuminates when they are on, and yeah the wipers move when they are on blah blah, but I still feel like i am guessing what mode each is switched too. I'm sure over time it will become muscle memory much like shafting from P to D in those old school automatics that still use a shifter instead of buttons or dials.

2018 Accord 2.0T Touring. Platinum White
post #7 of 21 Old 01-12-2018, 04:29 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:

3) Rain on back windshield, no problems for me but I did use Rainx water repellent. I recommend you do as well.

4) Stereo wasn't a problem for me but I do agree, its subpar

I'll add another point to the list:

Chris
2) Yes LED would have been nice. Friend installed in an old explorer, crazy how bright they are!
3)Never noticed a problem with the rear glass not shedding water. My car almost always beds up the water because of the soap I use to wash it though.
4)I was excited about the stereo and am a little disappointed. Still leaps and bounds better then my 2015. The range of the sub is not nearly large enough. I find I either have way to much bass or not enough. Can't find the sweet spot.
6) I have driven Honda products for a while so I don't get this as they are all the same and it is in my muscle memory. Plus, you have a Touring! Just leave in Auto and Auto! I have noticed the Auto wipers will wipe occasionally when the windshield is just dirty. Still playing with the sensitivity with the wipers.

Happy motoring! Hope you enjoy as much as I do!
post #8 of 21 Old 01-12-2018, 04:41 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:

I kind of like yellowish light instead of white (daylight) LED, specially early in the morning.

Quote:

Chris
don't we have enough light from all buttons and knobs? I wish it has less buttons (Tesla) and less lights. we don't need sky of stars while driving at night. how often do you need to use light and windshield control?

2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
1993 Honda Civic DX
post #9 of 21 Old 01-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Out of Control

Quote:

If you think the driver's seat is bad, try sitting in the passenger seat. My disdain for Honda passenger seats defies language

Agree. My entry level Pacifica has nice LED interior lights and crappy halogen reflector head lights. I'd gladly swap.
Interior LEDs are the easiest mod you can do.
I did my '13 EXL and love it. Also cool for the license plate light.

Many of us here will stipulate Honda makes a crappy stereo. My EXL "Premium 360 watt" with sub woofer is crap. My '88 Beretta was far better. Mazda 626 years ago in the '80s had a Fujitsu Ten unit that beats many streos today.

No. Saves you money not having to buy TPMS when you do snow tires. My S60 is the same way but at least Volvo has sense enough to tell you which tire is low. TPMS have come down in price. I got Mopar units online for $27 (Tire Rack wanted $53 for brand X). I found out later on the forum (would have been nice if someone posted, they are not as chatty as us) had I gone to ebay, I could have gotten them for low $20s (Mopar brand). At these prices, I'd take space age technology any day and get an actual "real time" read out.

thank you
I

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Was this car a surprise gift given to you?
RickBlaine
Attached Images

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #10 of 21 Old 01-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Vendor

1. I think only premium brands use height adjustment on the passenger seat. I think maybe it is extra cost? I don't know about the 10th gen however, I used to have 3 Honda/Acura vehicles, and all of them didn't have the height adjustment on the passenger seat and for the heating seat, only driver side has back side heating seat, for the passenger side, only half of the seat has heating seat.

2. You can put some LEDs, there is many choices, from our custom cut dual brightness control LED interior kit to cheaper version ebay ones. Seems like big brands (Honda/Toyoya) still using the regular bulbs to reduce the cost from all around the world.

3. Maybe you can apply some chemical, I am using some chemical coating on my side and back windows and I liked it.

4. You can try a new set of tweeters, and better woofer with amplifier.

5. Only my Acura displayed the exact numbers, I heard that these are matter of licensing. If they display the number, maybe they need to pay more to the tpms related businesses? Maybe I am wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsoMotion View Post
1. I think only premium brands use height adjustment on the passenger seat. I think maybe it is extra cost? I don't know about the 10th gen however, I used to have 3 Honda/Acura vehicles, and all of them didn't have the height adjustment on the passenger seat and for the heating seat, only driver side has back side heating seat, for the passenger side, only half of the seat has heating seat.

2. You can put some LEDs, there is many choices, from our custom cut dual brightness control LED interior kit to cheaper version ebay ones. Seems like big brands (Honda/Toyoya) still using the regular bulbs to reduce the cost from all around the world.

3. Maybe you can apply some chemical, I am using some chemical coating on my side and back windows and I liked it.

4. You can try a new set of tweeters, and better woofer with amplifier.

5. Only my Acura displayed the exact numbers, I heard that these are matter of licensing. If they display the number, maybe they need to pay more to the tpms related businesses? Maybe I am wrong.
Never heard of a licensing fee for a TPMS read out.

Nearly every car other maker I am familiar with (GM. BMW, Ford, Nissan, Hyundai, higher end Volvos, MB, Toyota, Nissan, and more) uses a digital read out.

Accord's system is really done for cost. The Accord, S60, and a few others use existing hardware in the ABS and VSC and software programming to detect rotational differences to determine which tire is low. The low tire rotates slower.

Big problem with this unsophisticated, far less accurate, and cheap "meet the letter of the law" system is that all tires might have only 12 PSI and this system will never detect it because there are no rotational differences among the wheels.

I like being able to check my MDX and Pacifica PSI whilst rolling across the WV turnpike at 70 MPH. I also don't like having to guess which tire is low on the Accord. It's a better than nothing system and nothing more.
Hematitis likes this.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #12 of 21 Old 01-13-2018, 05:14 AM
REV29K

I would so take the indirect TMPS system, do I really need to know the exact PSI of each one of my tires? Not really. Once you set the pressure and calibrate, the system will alert you if there is a significant change. I prefer the indirect system for my out of pocket cost reasons, if you buy new tires after 3-4 years and the batteries in the TPM sensors are good for 5 years, you must spend the $160 to replace them otherwise the battery will die a year after you install new tires and you will end up breaking down the wheel to replace them anyway.

Or if you don't need new tires but the batteries in the sensors start to die, you are back over to the tire shop replacing sensors before you need new tires. Or if you have a sensor go bad, it's just another headache and additional cost to replace.

The indirect method doesn't cost you any more money in the long run and those with snow tires don't need to buy another set of sensors.

I guess I've always checked the air in my tires on a monthly basis anyway, so the lower cost, fewer headache, indirect TPMS method works for me.
RickBlaine, Miker and Kamdog like this.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

another thing added to my list. the automatic seat adjustment is great but why isn't the side view mirrors remembered too? ridiculous
II Kings 9:20 likes this.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-16-2018, 10:51 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
another thing added to my list. the automatic seat adjustment is great but why isn't the side view mirrors remembered too? ridiculous

Now your just getting too picky, buy a Mercedes for that feature!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S2k_Dude likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-16-2018, 11:21 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croxley611 View Post
Now your just getting too picky, buy a Mercedes for that feature!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? It's common sense. They put in the engineering to have memory seats... but stopped halfway while executing it. That's pretty disappointing to hear that was left out.

To be honest, when I drive my car, I don't have to change the seating position any between when myself, my dad, or my girlfriend drive it because we are all pretty close in height and I (being the tallest) like sitting a little closer.

However, the mirror positions do have to change.

Really, the memory function should change everything about the car... from favorited stations on the radio, to mirror adjustments, to climate control in the car. Not just the seat positioning. It is amazing that even the Accord which gets high marks on tech are sooooo far behind the software curve.

Can't these car companies pluck a handful of software engineers from the Bay Area or Seattle? It would take so little to stand head and shoulders above the competition.

2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring. Modern steel.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.