window tint warning: defrost glare - refraction distortion - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 01-07-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

window tint warning: defrost glare - refraction distortion

Before I installed window tint, I posted a thread "should I get window tint". However, no one has warned me of the side effect of window tint: defrost glare or refraction distortion. I now have this glare issue, and did some research. some say they don't have this issue while others experience this issue. Some claim that it would go away after the film is cured or dry. some blame on poor install job.

In fact, this glare issue is very common. what causes it depends on how thick the film and defrost line are. also how tilted the rear window is (fastback like 10th gen accord or hatchback). Ceramic film is thicker than dyed film, such as 3M Color Stable film. Both 3M Crystalline and Llumar CTX are ceramic and thick. mine is Llumar CTX 40%.

if you are going reply to this thread with "I don't have this issue", please include the brand, type, and percentage of tint you have, for example Llumar CTX 40%.

Here are a few threads about this issue in 9th gen accord forum:

Llumar CTX window tint glare
40% 3M Crystalline window tint glare

hope this will help others who wonder why their rear windows have glare/refraction while others don't.

Attached Images

2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
1993 Honda Civic DX
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-07-2018, 06:19 PM
Roll Tide!

Bummer for you. Never had that issue with the dozen or so cars I've had tinted.

MrRangerZr1 and datechbpss101 like this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old 01-07-2018, 06:28 PM
3rd Gear

Nope...no amount of coolness factor from tints would ever make me put up with that crap...I'd be back at the shop having them take that crap off my windows immediately

I absolutely could not deal with that on a day to day basis

1994 Mustang GT #94Five0
Laser Red Metallic
Born on March 4, 1994 1 of 1,393
Bassani Cat-Back, x pipe & headers, Edelbrock Intake Manifold, FMS 65mm TB, Pro-M 80mm MAF, Custom CAI, KYB shocks/struts, Maximum Motorsports chassis brace package & c/c plates, FRPP Trac-LOK w/3.73s, Cobra R rims 17x9f/17x10.5r
Soon: CHP 347 w/AFR heads, and FTI custom cam

2003 Honda Civic LX Sedan
Satin Silver Metallic

2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0 MT #TheRedhead
San Marino Red

post #4 of 28 Old 01-07-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

did you guys read my post and other threads that I linked? it depends on type of film you have.

what brand and type of tint film do you have on your car?

2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
1993 Honda Civic DX
post #5 of 28 Old 01-07-2018, 06:40 PM
Roll Tide!

Obviously, I have and had the kind of film, defrost lines, and rear window angles that does NOT do that.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #6 of 28 Old 01-07-2018, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
Obviously, I have and had the kind of film, defrost lines, and rear window angles that does NOT do that.
what film? and tint percentage?

2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
1993 Honda Civic DX
post #7 of 28 Old 01-07-2018, 09:58 PM
3rd Gear

Iíve got 20% 3M tint on mine and see that refraction. The first time I drove at night, it freaked me out a bit. But then I realized that when Iím driving at night, the only information I get from my rear mirror is whether thereís someone behind me and roughly how far back they are. This refraction doesnít keep me from doing that so itís no big deal. And I like not having to flip my mirror to dim it at night (I miss the auto dimming mirror on my last few cars).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 28 Old 01-08-2018, 06:54 AM
3rd Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by normanfox View Post
what film? and tint percentage?
I hope it is just a matter of the film needing to be cured.

I've not encountered the issues that you've faced. My film and % are listed in my signature.

2017 Accord Sedan Sport 6MT (San Marino Red) - LLumar ATR 40% doors / LLumar ATR 30% rear window

What else is in the stable?
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT (Diamond Graphite) / Prem Pkg / Navi / Aero / Performance Wheel & Tire Pkg / 40% Huper Optik Ceramic / K&N Filter (206k miles)

2018 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited / Starlink Navigation & EyeSight Driver-Assist Pkg

Traded
2005 Acura TSX 5AT (Satin Silver) / 40% Huper Optik Ceramic (190,782 miles)
post #9 of 28 Old 01-08-2018, 09:55 AM
6th Gear

Garage
When I had my ‘13 Coupe tinted, the installer told me the glare or Jacob's ladder effect, would be more noticeable because Hondas typically have thicker defrost traces than other manufacturers, and being a Coupe with a more raked window would further accentuate the lines.. Indeed it was noticeable and similar to OP's pic, but I eventually got used to it.

2017 Accord Touring Sedan | WOP/Ivory
Previous:
2013 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe | WOP | Black/Ivory
post #10 of 28 Old 01-08-2018, 02:07 PM
Gearless

I have 3M 20/35. No problems here. I'm thankful for the back up camera at night though.

2013 Accord Sedan LX CVT
post #11 of 28 Old 01-08-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Multi-Quote Feature is our friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Shark View Post
I hope it is just a matter of the film needing to be cured.

I've not encountered the issues that you've faced. My film and % are listed in my signature.
your film is ATR which is metallic. mine is CTX which is ceramic. ceramic is known to have this glare, such as ceramic 3M Crystalline.

I wonder if there are anyone with Llumar CTX film and not seeing this glare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN9thSi View Post
When I had my ‘13 Coupe tinted, the installer told me the glare or Jacob's ladder effect, would be more noticeable because Hondas typically have thicker defrost traces than other manufacturers, and being a Coupe with a more raked window would further accentuate the lines.. Indeed it was noticeable and similar to OP's pic, but I eventually got used to it.
what brand and type of tint film do you have? I trying to gather some statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edogg View Post
I’ve got 20% 3M tint on mine and see that refraction. The first time I drove at night, it freaked me out a bit. But then I realized that when I’m driving at night, the only information I get from my rear mirror is whether there’s someone behind me and roughly how far back they are. This refraction doesn’t keep me from doing that so it’s no big deal. And I like not having to flip my mirror to dim it at night (I miss the auto dimming mirror on my last few cars).

what type of 3M tint film do you have? 3M Color Stable film or 3M Crystalline.

if you are not sure of film type, how much did you pay? so that I can make a guess of film type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbk734 View Post
I have 3M 20/35. No problems here. I'm thankful for the back up camera at night though.
what type of 3M tint film do you have? 3M Color Stable film or 3M Crystalline.

if you are not sure, how much did you pay?

How to use multi-quote

2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
1993 Honda Civic DX

Last edited by RickBlaine; 01-08-2018 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Multi-Quote Feature is our one true bestest friend!
post #12 of 28 Old 01-08-2018, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Have the CTX 30% and have the same thing. It has gotten better over the past couple days, but I am not expecting it to get perfect. There are air gaps around the defrost lines that are causing the reflection.
post #13 of 28 Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 PM
3rd Gear

Mine is the 3M color stable. I donít live in the desert so the extra cost of the Crystalline didnít make sense.

post #14 of 28 Old 01-09-2018, 12:30 AM
1st Gear

Yes! I had this problem on a 3 Series (e90) BMW. It was ceramic huper optik tint, at 35% - I believe. It was several cars ago. The glare never went away nor did it get better. Nice car, expensive tint, and I couldn't see clearly out of the back windows at night - it bugged me.

But since I lived in Texas I reminded myself how much cooler the car was in the summer thanks to the high infrared light rejection (IRR). You just can't get high IRR with dyed tint. As far as metallic tint goes, at the time I read reviews saying it could mess with my cell-phone service.
post #15 of 28 Old 01-09-2018, 07:54 AM
4th Gear

The more expensive tint films like 3M Crystalline and Prestige Photosync are not only worth it for better heat rejection, but clarity as well. Photosync in particular does very well in clarity.

04 Coupe V6 6MT
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.