Hood Flutter? - Page 6 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
31Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 85 Old 01-23-2018, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by techaccord View Post
I haven't noticed any hood flutter (but I haven't really looked for it) but I decided to open my hood because I never have before. Well, I discovered that I am MISSING one of the hood cushions/bumpers! They just forgot to install it on the passenger side. See attached pics for some good laughs

First picture is the passenger side of the hood, showing the missing rubber cushion.

Second picture shows the drier side of the hood, cushion is where it should be.

I've noticed a slight flutter on the driver's side. Am I understanding right that this shouldn't be a safety issue, this would just be an annoyance? If it's more cosmetic/annoying than anything then I'll just mention it the next time we're at our dealership and see if there's anything that can be done, but it truly isn't bad so I'm not really concerned unless there is something more to it. Sounds like some of you have it much worse than mine for sure. I haven't opened the hood yet either so I'm curious if I have both of those cushions/bumpers or not.

Kim

'18 Accord Touring 2.0T Platinum White Pearl
'16 Accord Sport Sedan Basque Red Pearl

Previous (Honda only between my husband and I)

'16 Odyssey Elite White Diamond Pearl
'15 Civic Si Sedan Orange Fire Pearl
'13 Accord Sport Sedan Obsidian Blue Pearl
'12 Odyssey Touring Elite Modern Steel Metallic
'09 Accord EX-L Sedan Alabaster Silver
'06 CRV LX AWD Alabaster Silver
'98 Civic LX Sedan Inza Red Pearl

Yep, we have a car problem!
Advertisement

post #77 of 85 Old 01-23-2018, 10:20 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite2018 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techaccord View Post
I haven't noticed any hood flutter (but I haven't really looked for it) but I decided to open my hood because I never have before. Well, I discovered that I am MISSING one of the hood cushions/bumpers! They just forgot to install it on the passenger side. See attached pics for some good laughs

First picture is the passenger side of the hood, showing the missing rubber cushion.

Second picture shows the drier side of the hood, cushion is where it should be.

I've noticed a slight flutter on the driver's side. Am I understanding right that this shouldn't be a safety issue, this would just be an annoyance? If it's more cosmetic/annoying than anything then I'll just mention it the next time we're at our dealership and see if there's anything that can be done, but it truly isn't bad so I'm not really concerned unless there is something more to it. Sounds like some of you have it much worse than mine for sure. I haven't opened the hood yet either so I'm curious if I have both of those cushions/bumpers or not.
I would say that for normal every day driving that the issue is only an annoyance.
However, I drive mainly open road turnpike miles at higher speeds and lots of crosswinds and 18 wheelers. I felt like it was important for the fix to be made.

SnowWhite2018 likes this.
post #78 of 85 Old 01-23-2018, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg3319 View Post
I would say that for normal every day driving that the issue is only an annoyance.
However, I drive mainly open road turnpike miles at higher speeds and lots of crosswinds and 18 wheelers. I felt like it was important for the fix to be made.

Definitely! My driving isn't very far or fast daily, so it's lower priority for now on mine (unless of course we start hearing of safety issues with it). Thankful for this forum though so I can keep up!

Kim

'18 Accord Touring 2.0T Platinum White Pearl
'16 Accord Sport Sedan Basque Red Pearl

Previous (Honda only between my husband and I)

'16 Odyssey Elite White Diamond Pearl
'15 Civic Si Sedan Orange Fire Pearl
'13 Accord Sport Sedan Obsidian Blue Pearl
'12 Odyssey Touring Elite Modern Steel Metallic
'09 Accord EX-L Sedan Alabaster Silver
'06 CRV LX AWD Alabaster Silver
'98 Civic LX Sedan Inza Red Pearl

Yep, we have a car problem!

post #79 of 85 Old 02-10-2018, 06:44 AM
REV29K

I submitted a ticket online to Honda for the hood flutter issue. The response I got was to log the problem with the dealer, so next time I'm in I will ask them to follow up with the ticket number and officially log the problem in their system.

This is basically my ONLY complaint with the new car. At times the hood flutters at idle and on the highway. In the meantime, I applied a couple die cut silicone foam pads right where the rear gasket meets with the hood. If you push on that gasket, you will notice there are three places where the gasket is stiffer, and doesn't compress as much. That's where I applied the die cut pads to the hood. Doing so, has reduced the hood flutter considerably.

2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
2017 CR-V Touring
2002 S2000
post #80 of 85 Old 02-10-2018, 07:19 AM
1st Gear

A vibration might lead to a paint problem.
post #81 of 85 Old 02-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgooch View Post
A vibration might lead to a paint problem.
If only !

Metal fatigue, joint fatigue if severe enough flutter or just experienced over a long period of time. Hinge fatigue, latch stresses.

Are these aluminum hoods?

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #82 of 85 Old 02-10-2018, 07:54 AM
REV29K

I seriously doubt any of the hood flutter is going to cause paint problems, metal fatigue, or latch failure, it's not that serious, just a minor annoyance. Yes, the hood is aluminum (or aluminium if you are from the UK).

2017 CR-V Touring
2002 S2000
post #83 of 85 Old 02-10-2018, 09:14 AM
#SaveTheManuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg3319 View Post
My dealership service manager has come up with a fix to minimize, if not stop the hood flutter all together. He installed 2 rubber bumpers on the underside of the hood where the weather strip contacts the hood. They were designed to help this issue with the Pilot or Ridgeline that had a bug deflector installed. Honda should make note to create a bulletin.
thats thinking outside the box by a service manager, i like it...if you check out the installation instructions for the wind deflector for the 2010 Pilot, sure enough, the kit comes with three of them to install across the underside of the hood right near the windshield
S2k_Dude likes this.

1994 Mustang GT Laser Red Metallic
Born on March 4, 1994 1 of 1,393
Bassani: Cat-Back, x pipe & headers, Edelbrock Intake Manifold, FMS: 65mm TB, Cobra Trac-LOK w/3.73s, B-springs, Pro-M 80mm MAF, CAI, KYB shocks/struts, Maximum Motorsports chassis brace package & c/c plates, Cobra R wheels 17x9f/17x10.5r
Soon: CHP 347 w/AFR heads, and FTI custom cam

2003 Honda Civic LX Sedan Satin Silver Metallic
Cold Air Intake

2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0 MT San Marino Red
KTuner
post #84 of 85 Old Today, 10:57 AM
REV29K

Made an appointment for the dealer to log the hood flutter on my car with Honda. I know they won't do anything about it at the dealer, but maybe if more people log a ticket about the issue, Honda will come out with a fix like they did for the Pilot.

After 30+ days of ownership, I'm happy to report the only real issue I have with the car is the hood flutter. I do have one other minor annoyance with the wiper blades, they are noisy and there is a dead spot on the glass that the wipers don't work very well. I've tried cleaning the glass with alcohol and also with vinegar a couple of times. It helped some but it's still a bit of an issue.

Maybe the dealer will replace the wiper blades or clean the windshield with something else that corrects my complaint.
Markus likes this.

2017 CR-V Touring
2002 S2000
post #85 of 85 Old Today, 11:09 AM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2k_Dude View Post
Made an appointment for the dealer to log the hood flutter on my car with Honda. I know they won't do anything about it at the dealer, but maybe if more people log a ticket about the issue, Honda will come out with a fix like they did for the Pilot.

After 30+ days of ownership, I'm happy to report the only real issue I have with the car is the hood flutter. I do have one other minor annoyance with the wiper blades, they are noisy and there is a dead spot on the glass that the wipers don't work very well. I've tried cleaning the glass with alcohol and also with vinegar a couple of times. It helped some but it's still a bit of an issue.

Maybe the dealer will replace the wiper blades or clean the windshield with something else that corrects my complaint.
Good to hear of someone with only a few minor issues. Too often forums like this are filled with tales of woe (which is understandable). At the end of the day these new Accords seem like pretty solid cars.

Mark - Retired automotive lighting engineer
14 Accord Touring V6 Sedan

2014 Audi S4 | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

Gone but not forgotten :97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.