Too many quality issues with 2018 Accord - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
129Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Too many quality issues with 2018 Accord

When buying a car I shop the entire Chicago area for the best price; so before starting the emails and phone calls I test drive at a number of dealers since it's pretty hard to get a sense of a car on a single 10min test drive. I've driven maybe 5-6 2018's now and what I've seen combined with owner reports does not paint a good picture of the current quality situation. On different cars I've seen loose steering wheel paddle shifter, climate control trim that was sticking severely out and one with clutch issues. In this forum we've had two reported transmission failures and some other rattle issues out of what's still a small group of owners. I'd like to pull the trigger before the end of the year but these issues leave me wondering if I'd be playing the quality lottery. It's also not confidence inspiring for those who like to keep their Honda's long-term, 150-200k miles.

04 Coupe V6 6MT
Advertisement

post #2 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 10:35 AM
6th Gear

IMO, it is never a good idea to get the first year of a new production car, and an even worse idea to get one of the first that roll off the assembly line.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamdog For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (12-10-2017), UNLTD1487 (12-10-2017)
post #3 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Elvira - the car

Haven't looked at the 2018's personally, but from reports here and elsewhere on the interwebs, the quality and reliability seems to be at least questionable.

Although I have the first year 9th gen I don't see as many INITIAL problems with that MY as I have seen posted here and elsewhere for the later year 9th gens. Not intimating the 2013 is problem free by NO means, but since I'm in tune (read psychologically triggered by 2013 complaints) and looking for 2013 problems, I find more 2014+ MY glitches, problems, quality complaints. Stuff you'd think would have been ironed out in subsequent MY after the 9th gen premiered.

Honda doesn't have the excuse, as they used when the tsunami hit Japan, as to why some of the quality is lower then previous years (remember the Civic junk? Dash material that scratched from day 1). Their excuse back then was they were using second vendor suppliers and NOT first vendor suppliers. They rushed it with crap suppliers.

Can't use that excuse legitimately now.

It's been stated before and repeated enough times, the car makers don't see as much profit in sedans anymore. All the profitable models are trucks, SUV's and CUV's.

Guess what !? Honda's no different.

Pilot, Ridgeline, CRV, HRV the writing is on the walls that the sedan/coupe is not a major player in the bean counters eyes. I get it, they are in business to make money.

Trucks in general, SUV's, CUV's = big profits Family sedans = little profits.

In my career I've seen the problem first-hand. Initial release of a product uses great materials, great engineering, great support. But watch out in subsequent years of a products life.

The only mantra is reduce cost, reduce cost, reduce cost. In that order. Sometimes quality isn't affected but most times it is palpable as to the quality failing to keep up to standards.

Lamentably this is everyone in every industry it seems today.

Anyway, my opinion regarding Honda is mine. Hopefully I am proven wrong and quality improves as well as reliability (2 CVT self destructing trans within weeks of release. Yikes!).

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General

post #4 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 10:48 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Well, technically one 10th Gen transmission failure reported here. The other "report" was a "friend" with no subsequent info given, except that the car was blue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (12-10-2017), slimm1469 (12-11-2017)
post #5 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 11:10 AM
6th Gear

Garage
I've noticed some quality issues on the very few 2018 Accords I've looked at. Specifically, panel gap and lower window trim fitting poorly. This was very early in availability. I noticed the same thing with the '17 Ridgeline. Things eventually improved later in the MY cycle. i suspect the same thing will happen with the Accord.
UNLTD1487 likes this.

2017 Accord Touring Sedan | WOP/Ivory
Previous:
2013 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe | WOP | Black/Ivory
post #6 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 11:15 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
IMO, it is never a good idea to get the first year of a new production car, and an even worse idea to get one of the first that roll off the assembly line.
The old dog is right and you certainly shouldn't over-complicate the car buying experience by doing so if you are not prepared to deal with quality issues or bugs. Heck, I had never even driven the 2018 before buying it. I also had purchased the 9th gen as soon as they were available and had two recalls, three TSB, and a few issues that I fixed myself, so my experience was in no way smooth but I would still buy it again. However, for those who want the best chance to avoid initial quality issues it seems smarter to wait until the MMC when reliability really jumps up. JMTS.
internalaudit and dugn like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greenknight9 For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (12-10-2017)
post #7 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 01:46 PM
5th Gear

I did a walk down a row of 2018 accords on the dealer's lot last weekend (all 1.5s, no 2.0s on the lot). The hood to fender gap varied quite a bit though most were tighter on the passenger side. On one car the corner of the hood was sharp enough that you could cut a finger with it. There do seem to be more than the normal amount of quality issues for a Honda product.

**Note I am biased against the 10th gen as they dropped the coupe.

2011 V6 2dr BB w/Nav
post #8 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 03:56 PM
6th Gear

Seems the Civic had the same problems in the first production year 2016.

Hopefully they are more careful when assembling they Hybrids in Marysville as it's not longer going to be MIJ.

2011 Accord Coupe I4 5 A/T
post #9 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 04:56 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
I did a walk down a row of 2018 accords on the dealer's lot last weekend (all 1.5s, no 2.0s on the lot). The hood to fender gap varied quite a bit though most were tighter on the passenger side. On one car the corner of the hood was sharp enough that you could cut a finger with it. There do seem to be more than the normal amount of quality issues for a Honda product.

**Note I am biased against the 10th gen as they dropped the coupe.
I think Honda's had this problem since the 2016 Civic. I've seen inconsistent panel gaps on 2016+ Civics, 2017+ CR-Vs, and some 2018 Accords. The previous generations of the Civic, CR-V, and Accord all had tight, uniform panel gaps, so I'm not sure why Honda's having issues in this area now.

Other than that, though, the new Accord looks like a winner. I'd wait a year before buying one just in case there are any early bugs that need to be worked out.
yanks1 and slimm1469 like this.

Current: 2007 Honda Accord EX- Carbon Bronze Pearl: 2010-2014; 2017-

Previous: 2011 Honda CRV EX Opal Sage Metallic- 2014-2017
post #10 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

What I'm left wondering then, is how many of these issues would one expect to be resolved by May or end of next summer. That's probably about my limit. These are massive supply networks and resolving quality issues is a bit like making a steering change on a ship.

04 Coupe V6 6MT
post #11 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 05:56 PM
mobiless2

I thought that's what a warranty is for? Last resort Lemon Laws.
MD Accord likes this.

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto 4DR: Weapon-R I Throttle/TL FSB RSB/Morimoto H1/Fogs/K40/Viper 5704/exLED 146K

2015 HM SPORT I-4 CVT 4DR: TL RSB, exLED, OEM Tweeters-LED Mirrors-LED Tail Lights, Coutesy Lights, Ambient Light Kit, 4G TL Retrofit w/TSX-R Lens, RV6 PCD, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 36K

2016 ABP Civic EX-T CVT 4DR
exLED
post #12 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 06:41 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offbeat Oddity View Post
I think Honda's had this problem since the 2016 Civic. I've seen inconsistent panel gaps on 2016+ Civics, 2017+ CR-Vs, and some 2018 Accords. The previous generations of the Civic, CR-V, and Accord all had tight, uniform panel gaps, so I'm not sure why Honda's having issues in this area now.

Other than that, though, the new Accord looks like a winner. I'd wait a year before buying one just in case there are any early bugs that need to be worked out.
Never, Always, None and All can lessen a statement's credibility.

Check out most any model from most any manufacture...a mainstay constant is inconsistency.
dfwxjer likes this.

Professional Honda Driver

2.0 Accord Touring Silver - after trading in the 2018 1.5 According Touring Blue - It's all about torque.

2015 CR-V Touring (replaced one in Avatar, totaled at three months and 3,000 miles)
post #13 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 06:42 PM
5th Gear

Too many quality issues with 2018 Accord

Gang, we have same Panel Gap issues on our new 7 months ago CRV. I even called Honda Corp, they had local dealer check it following week and I was told all within tolerance. BS I told them;

looking for new BMW 2 series now to replace my 2014 Accord Coupe. No more new Honda's for me ; quality control tanked last few years, panel gap issues are sloppy.. too bad, they're good value vehicles

Tom;
'14 V6 Accord Coupe Auto (MSM);'08 Mustang GT/Calif Special Vert 5 speed; Wife: 2017 New Generation CRV EX-L, prior 2014, '11 & '08 CRVs & '05 BMW X-3 (great SUV)
My prior: '06 BMW 330ci 6-speed, '99 Accord Coupe EX 5-speed; 2002 BMW 325ci 5-speed; '97 Acura CL 5-speed; '91 Mitsb. Galant; '79 Mustang & sold in 2010 '79 Vette (owned for 13 yrs)
post #14 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 07:05 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Gang, we have same Panel Gap issues on our new 7 months ago CRV. I even called Honda Corp, they had local dealer check it following week and I was told all within tolerance. BS I told them;

looking for new BMW 2 series now to replace my 2014 Accord Coupe. No more new Honda's for me ; quality control tanked last few years, panel gap issues are sloppy.. too bad, they're good value vehicles
If going to BMW for quality control, one may want to spend more time on their forums. Of course paying a $15,000 premium to get away from "panel gaps" is one option.

Professional Honda Driver

2.0 Accord Touring Silver - after trading in the 2018 1.5 According Touring Blue - It's all about torque.

2015 CR-V Touring (replaced one in Avatar, totaled at three months and 3,000 miles)
post #15 of 260 Old 12-10-2017, 07:31 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodan View Post
If going to BMW for quality control, one may want to spend more time on their forums. Of course paying a $15,000 premium to get away from "panel gaps" is one option.
There are simply no perfect cars. BMWs also have teething problems. The High Pressure Fuel Pump was a major recall on my car, the first year for that engine in the 5er, but the second year for that engine in production. They replaced the HPFP and several injectors under the recall. They eventually fixed things, and the car has been great. And it was far more powerful and more efficient than the engine it replaced.

I expect the same thing with the Accord. Problems in assembly will be addressed, weak points will be corrected. Honda will fix things. It just will take some time, and some inconvenience for those affected. I suppose that the best time to buy is the mid cycle refresh, but not everyone can time things to such a fine point.

If I had to choose between the last year of one generation and the first year of the next, I would take my chances with the first year of the new generation. I would expect some things might need to be corrected.

SnowWhite2018 likes this.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.