Rattle in/under/near glovebox or passenger side dashboard - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
9Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 12-07-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Rattle in/under/near glovebox or passenger side dashboard

Has anyone heard a rattle in, under, or near the glovebox?

It sounds like plastic on plastic rubbing or rattling; it's a medium to higher pitch clicking. Initially, I thought the license plate screws that were in my empty glovebox were jostling around when I rolled over imperfect road conditions anywhere from 20 to 50mph. Nothing in my glovebox, wiggled the door of the glovebox itself to make sure it was closed all the way, felt around, in, and under the glovebox and door jamb to see if any plastic was rubbing. Nada

I hope the dash doesn't have to come apart. I plan to get it checked out by the dealership this weekend but wanted to post and see if anyone has experienced the same issue.

Unfortunately, this isn't my first issue. I had an LED fog light that was DOA from the factory when I took delivery of the car a month ago. Seemed like Honda didn't catch it and my dealership didn't catch it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'm a return Honda owner but first time Accord owner and new to the forum. I look forward to chatting with everyone!

Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-07-2017, 06:34 PM
2nd Gear

You may have been a victim of a Monday build where they left a loose wiring harness behind the glove box. You should be able to remove the kick panel or glove box to take a closer look without having to take apart the dash.

As an aside, if you want to have some light in the glove box, try this :

. I can't understand why Honda won't give us a simple gb light but this one works well for me.

KW2004Accord likes this.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-26-2018 at 09:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greenknight9 For This Useful Post:
papppas (12-08-2017)
post #3 of 32 Old 12-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Still miss my CRX

Garage
Welcome papppas!

Don't have my 2018 yet. But behind the glovebox is traditionally the blower and filter. Best to get the dealership to check out since it's new.

Good luck - and keep us posted so we can build a knowledge base on these new models for everyone here.

Thanks!
slimm1469 and MD Accord like this.

2018 Accord Touring 2.0T/10AT
2010 Pilot Touring

Previous Hondas: 1976 Civic, 1984 CRX 1.5, 1972 Z600 Coupe, 1985 CRX 1.5, 2001 Accord EX-L

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to dugn For This Useful Post:
papppas (12-08-2017)

post #4 of 32 Old 12-09-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
I'm behind the glovebox clunking around. Hopefully I can find the culprit this weekend.
post #5 of 32 Old 12-13-2017, 02:04 AM
v17
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by papppas View Post
I'm behind the glovebox clunking around. Hopefully I can find the culprit this weekend.
Any look finding the noise? Have a similar rattling (not that loud but enough to annoy me). Happens when there is a passenger in the front seat. Am thinking loose harness wire etc under the seat but will check it out in the next few days.

2018 1.5 Touring White
(Former 2015 2.4L Touring White)
post #6 of 32 Old 12-13-2017, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear

There was a pretty common rattle in this area on the 9th gen. It might be worth looking to see if the 2018 uses the same plastic fasteners in this area. It's a pretty easy fix as you can see in this video.
post #7 of 32 Old 12-15-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by v17 View Post
Any look finding the noise? Have a similar rattling (not that loud but enough to annoy me). Happens when there is a passenger in the front seat. Am thinking loose harness wire etc under the seat but will check it out in the next few days.
First I thought it was the arm which allows the glovebox to open softly without slamming. That's not the culprit.

I had my girlfriend sit in the passenger seat and try to pinpoint the specific area; the plastic rattling sound seems to be above the glovebox, to the left of the passenger side air vent, sandwiched around the area of the airbag.

Is that the relative area that your rattle is coming from?

I was looking at rattle issues for 9th gens and the removal of dash pieces to gain further access looks simple enough. Unfortunately, the 10th gens have the single piece of faux wood trim that may make it harder to pry off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenPT View Post
There was a pretty common rattle in this area on the 9th gen. It might be worth looking to see if the 2018 uses the same plastic fasteners in this area. It's a pretty easy fix as you can see in this video.
I'm glad this guy has informative videos. I mentioned in an earlier comment that I wish I could gain access to just behind the dash to see if the same plastic clips exist in the 10th gen because the faux wood trim is one single piece spanning the width of the dash.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-26-2018 at 09:18 PM. Reason: merge
post #8 of 32 Old 12-28-2017, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by papppas View Post
I'm glad this guy has informative videos. I mentioned in an earlier comment that I wish I could gain access to just behind the dash to see if the same plastic clips exist in the 10th gen because the faux wood trim is one single piece spanning the width of the dash.
Pappas, have you been able to determine what was making the noise in your car? I too have a 18 Sedan and I have the exact same noise in my car. It started on just the drivers side but it is now also happening on the passenger side as well. It happens when you hit the smallest of bumps, the word "Clicking" is what best describes the noise.
post #9 of 32 Old 12-29-2017, 05:02 PM
3rd Gear

I just got my 18 EX-L 2.0. I can hear rattle on the passenger side, close to the glovebox, when driving on free way, on and off.

couple months ago I talked to my co-worker about his new Mercedes ($45k). one thing he complained was rattle noise when driving. I thought to myself "what a big deal" since my old car is so noisy inside that I did not even now what rattle means in a car... until now with my new 18 EX-L. it is so quiet inside that I can hear a small rattle.

2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
1993 Honda Civic DX
post #10 of 32 Old 01-04-2018, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

Rattle/ noise from passenger side Dash

Hello- I have had a rattle noise coming from the passenger side dash area in my 2018 Accord Sport. It starts when I hit a larger bump and then keeps rattling when I hit smaller ones too. Almost like 2 pieces of plastic hitting together. Anyone figured out what this might be? I plan to have the dealer check it out but hope to know if its an easy fix. Thanks!
post #11 of 32 Old 01-05-2018, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

My "clicking" noise is getting worst on the drivers side. It is beginning to get really annoying!
post #12 of 32 Old 01-05-2018, 08:12 AM
3rd Gear

Any chance what you all are hearing is temperature related? I see most or all of you are in cold zones. Cold and plastic do not play well together and can create creaks and rattles that do not appear in the warmer months. Any chance anyone can get a video of what you are hearing?
I do not have this issue, but I am curious.

2018 Accord 2.0T Touring. Platinum White
post #13 of 32 Old 01-05-2018, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV0320 View Post
Any chance what you all are hearing is temperature related? I see most or all of you are in cold zones. Cold and plastic do not play well together and can create creaks and rattles that do not appear in the warmer months. Any chance anyone can get a video of what you are hearing?
I do not have this issue, but I am curious.
I am having the same clicking rattle in my dash and just thought the same thing about the temperature. My car hasnít seen temperatures above 20 degrees since the first week I bought the car. There could be ice rattling around somewhere who knows.
DAV0320 likes this.
post #14 of 32 Old 01-13-2018, 10:18 AM
1st Gear

I've got a similar plastic sounding buzzing/rattle from what sounds like behind the glove box....only thing is I can't seem to come up with a set of conditions that replicates it with any consistency. Typically it's when gradually accelerating from low speed up to about 40mph I'll hear it just as the throttle is increased and is at it's lowest rev point, nothing more than a .5 to 1 second quick buzz then nothing. I'd like to take it back to the dealer to have them look at it but I'm afraid they won't be able to replicate the issue and would be a waste of time.

For the record I also live in a cold climate and the temp has pretty much been below freezing since I purchased the car. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.
post #15 of 32 Old 01-13-2018, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk774 View Post
I've got a similar plastic sounding buzzing/rattle from what sounds like behind the glove box....only thing is I can't seem to come up with a set of conditions that replicates it with any consistency. Typically it's when gradually accelerating from low speed up to about 40mph I'll hear it just as the throttle is increased and is at it's lowest rev point, nothing more than a .5 to 1 second quick buzz then nothing. I'd like to take it back to the dealer to have them look at it but I'm afraid they won't be able to replicate the issue and would be a waste of time.

For the record I also live in a cold climate and the temp has pretty much been below freezing since I purchased the car. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Yes, Iíve heard a rattle in that general area on occasion. I too live in a cold area. As you implied, it could be a contracting and expanding of the interior materials. Iíll have to pay attention next time it happens to determine if the interior has warmed up.

Advertisement

Tags
2018, accord, honda, noise, rattle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.