• 1 Post By Ronch
  • 1 Post By jwb998
  • 1 Post By jwb998
  • 1 Post By Miker
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-06-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Trailer Hitch

Great news! CURT now makes a trailer hitch for the 2018 Accord. Being an avid biker, I need a hitch for my bike rack. They have a picture of a touring with the hitch on their website under Q&As but I can't post it here. I have been watching for someone to release one. Price tag is about $150 but requires you to drill the hole in the "frame" to mount the hitch. On my 9th Gen that was not required. You also have to remove the exhaust pipes on both sides. I have not bought a new Accord yet but very interested in a 2.0 Touring, my dealer finally has one but not the colors I am hoping for. We can probably chalk this up to the "no one cares" category, but thought I would share anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to jwb998 For This Useful Post:
Hematitis (01-15-2018)
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Still miss my CRX

Garage
Good tip jwb998!

As someone who bikes (as a mere amateur), are the strap-on racks substantially worse for those who need to carry just one or two bikes?

I ask because that seems like a substantial amount of work to mount on a new 2018 Accord.

For us, we have a Pilot with a hitch that handles all of the family bikes. When it's just me, the strap-on rack on the back of my old Accord does the trick.

I'm guessing you're biking for two - or the Accord (will be) your primary car.

2018 Accord Touring 2.0T/10AT
2010 Pilot Touring

Previous Hondas: 1976 Civic, 1984 CRX 1.5, 1972 Z600 Coupe, 1985 CRX 1.5, 2001 Accord EX-L

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 PM
6th Gear

Garage
Here's the on the E-Trailer site. Looks a bit more involved to install than the 9th-Gen, which is a piece of cake. Doesn't look too bad from an aesthetic standpoint. I'd certainly add one if I were to go for a 10g at some point. Love my Curt hitch on my '17 Sedan for carrying my road bike using a 1UpUSA rack.

2017 Accord Touring Sedan | WOP/Ivory
Previous:
2013 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe | WOP | Black/Ivory

post #4 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 09:40 AM
2016 Coupe V6-6

I ride bikes and carrying them is an issue for me. I have an 06 Pilot with a rack, and was thinking of an 2018 Accord. I know from looking the bike will fit in the Accord if I take the front wheel off, have not tried just laying it across the seat yet. But I would like the option of the trailer hitch for my rack. I was planning to get a 2018 CRV until the Accord came out. Will have to just wait and see on the 2.0 reviews and comments before making a decision.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 11:09 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN9thSi View Post
Here's the on the E-Trailer site. Looks a bit more involved to install than the 9th-Gen, which is a piece of cake. Doesn't look too bad from an aesthetic standpoint. I'd certainly add one if I were to go for a 10g at some point. Love my Curt hitch on my '17 Sedan for carrying my road bike using a 1UpUSA rack.
Be careful with this. I also want to get a hitch for the Hybrid to use with a bike rack, but Honda prohibits towing with the hybrid. So my concern is they might look at the hitch, claim there was towing, and deny warranty if something related to powertrain needs attention.

04 Coupe V6 6MT
post #6 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 11:51 AM
5th Gear

In my past experience, those strap-on trunk-mounted racks damage the paint where rubber meets metal, no matter how carefully you wrap, pad and protect the car's paint and rear bumper.

My dealer has asked me what I tow with my Coupe which has a trailer hitch, and if I'm staying within Honda's recommended towing weight limits. I just tell him it's only for a bike rack (true) and he's cool... YRMV.
vinuneuro likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
Be careful with this. I also want to get a hitch for the Hybrid to use with a bike rack, but Honda prohibits towing with the hybrid. So my concern is they might look at the hitch, claim there was towing, and deny warranty if something related to powertrain needs attention.
That's what I was going to say, I don't think Accords are really meant to tow things. Does the owner's manual give any sort of weight rating for towing on the Accord?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #8 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 12:33 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
That's what I was going to say, I don't think Accords are really meant to tow things. Does the owner's manual give any sort of weight rating for towing on the Accord?
Towing not allowed on 1.5 and Hybrid. 1000lbs for 2.0.

04 Coupe V6 6MT
post #9 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN9thSi View Post
I also love my 1UpUSA rack. I love that I can switch it between the Accord with the 1 1/4" receiver and our Odyssey with a 2" receiver. Also like how fast it is to take on and off.

I have had $5000 worth of bikes on the back of the car so I like them to be as solid as possible. Trunk mount racks don't seem as solid to me, plus the damage to car as mentioned above, and I like to use the trunk for my gear.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-12-2018, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Talking Hitch Installed!

After shopping around a little and reading the instructions, I decided to let U-Haul install a hitch. They sell the hitch $10 less then Curt (even though I am pretty sure it is a Curt hitch) at $139.95 and paid $94 (with a $10 discount for purchasing online) to have it installed. Total with tax was $255.68. They backed it up on a ramp (nose just an inch off the ground) and it took about an hour and fifteen minutes to install. All the shop people commented on the car, I had a lot of questions about it. Kept telling me things they liked about it. The installer told me that removing the exhaust was a pain as there is not much room for your hands and they have 5 hangers each and "are not going anywhere."

I was worried it was going to stick out against the white paint and be ugly. When I had a chance to look at the back of the car I didn't even notice it! The cross bar is tucked up pretty good and the hitch itself sits further forward in the car then the bumper. I could not be happier! It is WAY less noticeable then the hitch on my 2015 Sport. It was dusk when I came home and tried to take pictures and you couldn't even see it. I will post better pictures with the hitch and my bike rack this weekend.
Attached Images
S2k_Dude likes this.
S2k_Dude (01-12-2018)
post #11 of 14 Old 01-12-2018, 03:33 PM
REV29K

Last weekend I installed the OEM Honda hitch on your 2017 CR-V, I wouldn't say it was easy, took me the better part of a Saturday afternoon as it entailed removing the entire rear bumper cover, some drilling (with two different sized hole saws), and relocating the kick sensor for the power rear door. Your Curt hitch looks really nice, you should post another picture more from bumper height so I can get a better idea of what it looks like. My cars only carry bikes as well, I've got a few mountain bikes that are ridden here in the GA mountains 2-3 times per week. There is just no substitute for a hitch and a good bike rack when you ride bikes often.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-12-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2k_Dude View Post
Last weekend I installed the OEM Honda hitch on your 2017 CR-V, I wouldn't say it was easy, took me the better part of a Saturday afternoon as it entailed removing the entire rear bumper cover, some drilling (with two different sized hole saws), and relocating the kick sensor for the power rear door. Your Curt hitch looks really nice, you should post another picture more from bumper height so I can get a better idea of what it looks like. My cars only carry bikes as well, I've got a few mountain bikes that are ridden here in the GA mountains 2-3 times per week. There is just no substitute for a hitch and a good bike rack when you ride bikes often.
I will take some this weekend, took some when I got home. It was overcast so not very bright out and you can't even see the hitch in the pictures. I agree with the good bike rack comment! I did quickly throw my rack and one of my mountain bikes on it to see if the trunk would open. Sorry about my daughter, she was as excited as I was!
Attached Images
S2k_Dude likes this.
S2k_Dude (01-13-2018)
post #13 of 14 Old 01-14-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Some better pictures of the installed hitch. Again, it is not very noticeable at all which makes me very happy. Went for a quick cold ride this morning to try it out.
Attached Images
post #14 of 14 Old 01-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb998 View Post
I will take some this weekend, took some when I got home. It was overcast so not very bright out and you can't even see the hitch in the pictures. I agree with the good bike rack comment! I did quickly throw my rack and one of my mountain bikes on it to see if the trunk would open. Sorry about my daughter, she was as excited as I was!
{bolded}

NEVER apologize for the daughter being as excited as you are, Pop.
jwb998 likes this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.