Can the 2.0T adjust tuning for premium fuel? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
53Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 76 Old 12-02-2017, 03:57 PM
jmann

Can the 2.0T adjust tuning for premium fuel?

The 252 hp and 272 torque are on regular gas. Does anyone know if the numbers improve while running premium? Would there be any benefit to running premium on this car at all?

Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 12-02-2017, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

you'll have to re-tune.

post #3 of 76 Old 12-02-2017, 09:07 PM
2nd Gear

In addition to increasing the boost pressure.

post #4 of 76 Old 12-03-2017, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

It will be no change, just wasting money on gas unless you tune it as stated above.
post #5 of 76 Old 12-03-2017, 12:16 PM
6th Gear

I beg to differ.

The answer, at this time, is maybe.

We do know that modern engines reduce performance (for lack of a better word) when less than the recommended octane gas is used. So, until some actual tests are made that show how engine management handles different octanes, we don't know yet.
DougNuts, Baldeagle, Merc6 and 2 others like this.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamdog For This Useful Post:
jmann (12-06-2017), Merc6 (12-06-2017)
post #6 of 76 Old 12-03-2017, 12:27 PM
'15 Outback 3.6R EyeSight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
I beg to differ.

The answer, at this time, is maybe.

We do know that modern engines reduce performance (for lack of a better word) when less than the recommended octane gas is used. So, until some actual tests are made that show how engine management handles different octanes, we don't know yet.
Agreed. At least Honda is honest and quotes hp/torque on regular unleaded (what octane? Around here, I think it's 87).

I'm considering the Lincoln MKZ awd w/3.3T. Ford rates that engine at 400hp/400 lb/ft torque, but using 93 octane gas. I have searched high and low for anyone to determine output figures on regular gas (87, or maybe 89 and 91).

Anyone have any helpful ideas?
Thanks
post #7 of 76 Old 12-03-2017, 12:30 PM
2nd Gear

It's not like they threw a Civic Type R engine into the Accord and nerfed it in software. Physical changes were made to the engine to optimize it for regular 87 octane fuel.

I was just having this discussion with an engineer friend of mine yesterday. Higher octane fuel is slower burning. Sometimes burning premium in an engine that is optimized for regular will actually reduce performance, as the engine has to slow its timings to compensate for the slower burning fuel.
JeffAsfbay likes this.

2018 1.5T Touring Accord
2017 Touring AWD CR-V

Retired: 2008 EX-L, 2011 EX-L, 2013 EX-L, 2015 Touring
post #8 of 76 Old 12-03-2017, 12:45 PM
6th Gear

As I understand things, if a manufacturer wants to give a boost for higher octane gas, it can set the timing for, say 89 and let the engine pull timing when 87 is used, and test it for the gubbmint using 87. If that is the case, 89 will give a boost. If, however, optimal timing is set for 87, there will likely be little, if any, gain.

Quote:
If premium is recommended, this is the engine's optimal fuel. It'll run on regular—albeit with the sensor invoking ignition timing that's less than that associated with MBT. And with less than Best Torque, there'll be less performance and an mpg hit.

If the engine is tuned for regular but fueled with something of higher octane, things are a tad more complex. Most modern knock-sensed ignitions seek MBT timing and thus, at least in theory, profit from the added octane. Some, though, have preset ceilings beyond which they won't advance.
dfwxjer, JeffAsfbay and jmann like this.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamdog For This Useful Post:
jmann (12-06-2017)
post #9 of 76 Old 12-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAsfbay View Post
I'm considering the Lincoln MKZ awd w/3.3T. Ford rates that engine at 400hp/400 lb/ft torque, but using 93 octane gas. I have searched high and low for anyone to determine output figures on regular gas (87, or maybe 89 and 91).

Anyone have any helpful ideas?
Thanks
Hopefully, they don't pull an Ecoboost Mustang here, which is rated at 320 HP on premium, but only 260 HP on regular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymogul View Post
I was just having this discussion with an engineer friend of mine yesterday. Higher octane fuel is slower burning. Sometimes burning premium in an engine that is optimized for regular will actually reduce performance, as the engine has to slow its timings to compensate for the slower burning fuel.
It indeed does, but it's more because of the fact that these economy engines only have one timing map for regular gas, nothing else. More premium engines have multiple maps for fuels with different octane ratings.

2008 Honda Accord Coup EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 76 Old 12-03-2017, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
It's not like they threw a Civic Type R engine into the Accord and nerfed it in software. Physical changes were made to the engine to optimize it for regular 87 octane fuel.

Your friend is wrong, premium resists detonation better, but flame front speed is not reduced, and thus will not reduce power, at least that is how it was explained by engine/fuels engineer to me.
Baldeagle and jmann like this.
post #11 of 76 Old 12-03-2017, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmatter View Post
Your friend is wrong, premium resists detonation better, but flame front speed is not reduced, and thus will not reduce power, at least that is how it was explained by engine/fuels engineer to me.
It's true that octane does not govern burn speed by itself. However, there's a difference between pump gas and race gas. Higher octane pump gas is blended in ways that result in lower burn speeds.

2018 1.5T Touring Accord
2017 Touring AWD CR-V

Retired: 2008 EX-L, 2011 EX-L, 2013 EX-L, 2015 Touring
post #12 of 76 Old 12-03-2017, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
It's true that octane does not govern burn speed by itself. However, there's a difference between pump gas and race gas. Higher octane pump gas is blended in ways that result in lower burn speeds.
our conversation covered unleaded race and pump gas. bottom line was premium will not reduce power in an engine designed for regular, even a product like VP 101 won't, it's just a waste of money.
post #13 of 76 Old 12-03-2017, 07:04 PM
jmann

I guess we will have to wait until someone can get their 2.0t on a dyno and test this out to know for sure. both of my current cars have 2.0 turbos, but are tuned for premium. I am sure they would be ok on regular, but with reduced ignition timing and a loss of power. If you could use premium in the 2.0t accords for a boost in performance I am sure I would be willing to pay more and do that. The lease on my 428i gran coupe is up next august, and as an admirer of the fastback sedan design, the new accord definitely has my interest. Considering the touring model has more standard goodies than my BMW does, is just as fast and costs at least 10 grand less it is looking pretty likely I will get this as my next ride.
dkmatter likes this.
post #14 of 76 Old 12-03-2017, 07:11 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmann View Post
I guess we will have to wait until someone can get their 2.0t on a dyno and test this out to know for sure. both of my current cars have 2.0 turbos, but are tuned for premium. I am sure they would be ok on regular, but with reduced ignition timing and a loss of power. If you could use premium in the 2.0t accords for a boost in performance I am sure I would be willing to pay more and do that. The lease on my 428i gran coupe is up next august, and as an admirer of the fastback sedan design, the new accord definitely has my interest. Considering the touring model has more standard goodies than my BMW does, is just as fast and costs at least 10 grand less it is looking pretty likely I will get this as my next ride.
I wish it was an actual liftback.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 20K (current)

Past cars
2002 Acura TL-S 206K
1996 Nissan Maxima SE 5-Spd 110K
1980 Volvo 242 GT 425K

Other Hondas in family
2017 Accord Sport (mom's)

Past Accords
2000 Accord EX-L V6 (mom's) 100.5K (transmission failed)
post #15 of 76 Old 12-03-2017, 07:25 PM
jmann

Yeah, I wish it had a liftback too. If it did and were RWD this would be an easy decision. The trunk is pretty huge though, and not having to open the rear window makes the visibility better.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.