Surprise! Accord makes Car and Driver's 10 Best! - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
16Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 39 Old 11-30-2017, 09:06 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post
I think with around 4,000 pounds and 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, the TM3 will do okay, especially the AWD LR version.

The only issues I have would be the 1) initial quality (taken care of by the warranty) and 2) the potential high repair cost after the extended warranty is up because with a Tesla, you can't pick up a battery or drive unit at the scrap yard and install it in your car. The car will reject those frankenstein parts.
I am still curious as to how well Tesla handle.

They have a low centre of gravity, which helps, but at the same time, 4000+ lbs is too much to be a good handler. I have read some drivers saying they don't handle that great, but for a family car you use to go and get back from work, an EV works well.

I also wonder how the battery replacement takes place, given how they are installed.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coup EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post

They have a low centre of gravity, which helps, but at the same time, 4000+ lbs is too much to be a good handler. I have read some drivers saying they don't handle that great, but for a family car you use to go and get back from work, an EV works well.

I also wonder how the battery replacement takes place, given how they are installed.

Probably no more complicated than the Honda timing belts, which will probably be done sooner than a battery replacement for the Tesla.

post #18 of 39 Old 11-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbtx View Post
Probably no more complicated than the Honda timing belts, which will probably be done sooner than a battery replacement for the Tesla.
Actually, it's a lot faster!

Look at that! Apparently, the whole process takes about 90 seconds!

Damn, that really answers my question, although I don't really like the way Tesla presented it. They compared this to an ICE car fueling up... Which is kinda silly because a tank of gas is way cheaper than a ton of batteries... Now if you compare the process of replacing the battery to the process of replacing the fuel tank, that would be more comparable, but it would still be a bit silly because fuel tanks don't really wear out.

Another random fact: Tesla cars are powered by a bunch of 18650 batteries. The same batteries are also found in powerful vape mods.

You will be remembered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 39 Old 11-30-2017, 11:20 AM
5th Gear

Quote:

If Porsche can make 4,000 lb. Macans on the VW / A4 platform handle well, I can't see why Tesla can't when electric motors are more efficient than ICE + transmission, lower CG, close to 50/50 balance.

They don't track well (battery overheating) but from TMC, Model S and X owners are happy about handling. It's not going to be tossable like a Miata or a Type R Civic for sure but I am no boy racer because driving crazy isn't something I want to do.

The drivers who complain they don't handle great are usually rationalizing why not to buy one (or just can't afford to buy one). I'm not a Tesla fan but we got to give the team some credit for opening up this segment. If it's been compared to the Alfa G whatever, a BMW 330 and a base Porsche, I think the TM3 will be a fun enough car. Not sure about its reliability long-term though but I don't see any competing BEV offering for now.

2011 Accord Coupe I4 5 A/T
post #20 of 39 Old 11-30-2017, 11:54 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
They don't track well (battery overheating) but from TMC, Model S and X owners are happy about handling. It's not going to be tossable like a Miata or a Type R Civic for sure but I am no boy racer because driving crazy isn't something I want to do.

The drivers who complain they don't handle great are usually rationalizing why not to buy one (or just can't afford to buy one). I'm not a Tesla fan but we got to give the team some credit for opening up this segment. If it's been compared to the Alfa G whatever, a BMW 330 and a base Porsche, I think the TM3 will be a fun enough car. Not sure about its reliability long-term though but I don't see any competing BEV offering for now.
Personally, I don't think I really like tossing the car around much, or I would have gone with the Toyobaru twin.

I admit I can't afford one, but at this point I am just curious. I give EVs credit when they are due, like how quick and automated it is to replace the batteries on a Tesla.

You will be remembered.

post #21 of 39 Old 11-30-2017, 01:05 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Personally, I don't think I really like tossing the car around much, or I would have gone with the Toyobaru twin.

I admit I can't afford one, but at this point I am just curious. I give EVs credit when they are due, like how quick and automated it is to replace the batteries on a Tesla.
To me, I don't care about how quick it is to replace the battery because so far, there is little battery degradation or I think Tesla may be building in a lot of hidden buffer in its batteries so there seems to be only 5% total degradation over 4-5 years when maybe there really was 10% degradation.

And we can't even go to an indie shop and have them install a perfectly fine battery from the scrap yard because the system will reject it so really Tesla or one of its an authorize repair center will have to replace the battery anyway so there's really no savings and how quickly we can remove and replace it are moot points.

Only silly and rich folks will not want to buy ESA because they will just lease or trade their cars in before the four year warranty is up. I'm buying the 4-year extended warranty if I take the plunge. 2011 Accord isn't going away but the 02 Civic will have to lol.

Still not sure though and will play it by ear. If I don't go with a BEV, then I will likely go with a used Accord Touring 2.0T 10AT that I hope I can find reasonably priced down the road. Somehow the CVT on the Civic doesn't seem to be that bullet proof.

I haven't seen flyboy on the 10th gen so hopefully my comment doesn't rouse him.

2011 Accord Coupe I4 5 A/T
post #22 of 39 Old 11-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Thanked 1,863 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
I haven't seen on the 10th gen so hopefully my comment doesn't rouse him.

The Tesla video simply demonstrates the rapid change out should the future include "re-charging" stations or for fleet vehicle operations. Israel is an early adapter of this technology- so that battery powered cars don't have to park for a couple hours for a partial charge.
internalaudit and Das Chicken like this.
post #23 of 39 Old 11-30-2017, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenknight9 View Post
Really, you think Toyota is catching up. The 2018 Accord thoroughly outperformed the 2018 Camry in almost all C&D metrics and the refreshed Mazda isn't out yet but requires 93 grade premium fuel to maximize it's top engine, which isn't always available. Sounds like the Accord has at the very least widened the gap even farther.
I get this in the reference of if you have 87 in the tank and a car you know will be neck and neck wants to run you and you're down power due to having 87 octane, but not being available at a gas station? I've traveled quite a bit and very small towns in central Wisconsin, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. all have had premium fuel. Maybe not the 93 I'm used to (that'd be a problem if I'm boosting in my GTI as that's a 93 specific tune), but premium regardless.
post #24 of 39 Old 11-30-2017, 03:39 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Quote:
And we can't even go to an indie shop and have them install a perfectly fine battery from the scrap yard because the system will reject it so really Tesla or one of its an authorize repair center will have to replace the battery anyway so there's really no savings and how quickly we can remove and replace it are moot points.
I thought there was a lawsuit awhile ago that covered this problem, something about how manufacturers can't REQUIRE consumers to take cars to them to maintain. I don't know who it was directed toward, but likely BMW, Audi, or MB. Although I think that lawsuit addressed simple things like oil changes, not battery replacements.

Quote:

They don't track well (battery overheating)
DING DING DING! This is something engines will always be better at, that and making beautiful noise. I would imagine you COULD keep battery temps in control, but the fact that the tesla can't makes me doubt that. I would think it would just take a maze of liquid cooling tubes and fins on the battery to radiate heat, then just run it to a radiator somewhere, problem solved. But maybe its not that simple.

Trust me guys, I LOVE getting gr9 gas mileage, and i'll fantasize about getting not exactly efficient cars like the vette and getting good mileage with them, but I don't want a FRIGGIN LECTRIC' POS! Normally I would be fine about electric cars getting popular, whatever, do what you guys want. The problem is that the hoard of electric car owners are going to try to then kill off the fun and awesome gas cars and make EVERYONE drive electric. EFF THAT.

Name: No.jpg
Views: 317
Size: 57.1 KB
internalaudit likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
The 9th Gen V6 Accord is the "mullet haircut" of the car industry. Bidness in the front, but party in the back when it's "GO TIME".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 152K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
post #25 of 39 Old 11-30-2017, 04:57 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by g60_corrado_91 View Post
I get this in the reference of if you have 87 in the tank and a car you know will be neck and neck wants to run you and you're down power due to having 87 octane, but not being available at a gas station? I've traveled quite a bit and very small towns in central Wisconsin, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. all have had premium fuel. Maybe not the 93 I'm used to (that'd be a problem if I'm boosting in my GTI as that's a 93 specific tune), but premium regardless.
Portions of the US max out premium at 91, and not just in small towns in Tennessee.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
post #26 of 39 Old 11-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
93 and 94 can be rare depending on where you live.

In BC, Canada, only Chevron has 94. Others all top out at 91.

You will be remembered.

post #27 of 39 Old 11-30-2017, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

Funny I read the article this morning about the first 10 Best issue in the 750th issue. I have had plenty of cars, but I am always happiest with the ones that are part of the 10 best list. Car and Driver seems to be able to pick out the secret sauce in cars better then other magazines in my opinion.
Cars I have owned on the 10 Best List:
83 Pontiac 6000STE (First car, dad bought new had 100K+ and over 10 years old when I got it)
92 Nissan Sentra SE-R
05 Acura TSX
15 Honda Accord

Hope to add a 2.0T Touring to that list soon!
post #28 of 39 Old 11-30-2017, 09:38 PM
billt

Front and side view could have made accord 2018 perfect. Or maybe just adding two front parking sensors; it has two front side sensors but missing the front center ones.
post #29 of 39 Old 12-01-2017, 04:46 AM
Rhymes with Mick & Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb998 View Post
Funny I read the article this morning about the first 10 Best issue in the 750th issue. I have had plenty of cars, but I am always happiest with the ones that are part of the 10 best list. Car and Driver seems to be able to pick out the secret sauce in cars better then other magazines in my opinion.
Cars I have owned on the 10 Best List:
83 Pontiac 6000STE (First car, dad bought new had 100K+ and over 10 years old when I got it)
92 Nissan Sentra SE-R
05 Acura TSX
15 Honda Accord

Hope to add a 2.0T Touring to that list soon!
I always *try* to buy a car in C&D's 10 Best Lists. Have never been disappointed. We think alike. Here is my list of the 10 Best Cars:

1991 Nissan SE-R 5MT (me too)
1995 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT
1996 Honda Civic LX 5AT (wife)
1997 BMW M3 5MT
2003 Honda Pilot EX-L 5AT (okay, this one is C&D's 5 Best SUV; wife)
2011 BMW 335i xDrive 6MT
2012 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6AT (family car)
2017 Honda Accord EX-L Navigation CVT (family car)
2018 Honda Civic Type R 6MT (picking up tomorrow)

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan 6AT MSM/Black
[RIP - turned in at lease end]

2017 Honda Accord EX-L I4 Sedan CVT MSM/Black
All stock.

2015 Honda Civic Si Sedan Taffeta White 6MT
All stock, more or less.

Other Cars: BMW 335i xDrive, BMW 550i, BMW M3, Infiniti QX4, Honda Pilot EX-L, Nissan Maxima SE, Nissan Sentra SE-R, Honda Prelude Si, Toyota Corolla
post #30 of 39 Old 12-07-2017, 01:03 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Actually, it's very interesting to know why Vette can do this kind of gas mileage on highways. The damn thing is torquey enough just basically just idle to keep cruising speed. That's impressive.

As for a Tesla... I mean, if you want something that's pretty much only good at going in straight lines, knock yourself out.

See you at the twisty turns and corners.
I've asked you this in the past, but maybe my memory is failing me...

Have you ever driven a Tesla Model S? Or even ridden in one?

The Model S would destroy your RX8 in the turns and corners. It's not super car agile, but it's far from a purely straight line muscle car. Although it dominates in that aspect as well.

Stop regurgitating things you read on the internet as fact.

His: 2017 Accord EX-L V6
Hers: 2016 Pilot EX-L
The Following User Says Thank You to dfwxjer For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (12-07-2017)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.