The all-new 2018 Accord vs. the all-new 2018 Camry - Page 37 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
255Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #541 of 559 Old 12-13-2017, 10:13 AM
'15 Outback 3.6R EyeSight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriff411 View Post
Yeah I hear you. The Legacy is supposed to move to Subaru new Global Platform in 2 years MY-2020, after the Forester in 2019. By then the current gen should be pretty solid w/ all items addressed. And with the 2018 getting CP/AA that def peak my interest, along with Subaru solid safety performance.

One of my concerns with buying a '18 Outback is the issue of the transition to the Subaru Global Platform (SGP). While I think the '15 Outback rides just fine, the way the automotive press gushed about the improvements in the Impreza due to its adoption of the SGP makes me think I'd have a bad case of buyer's remorse in 2 years if/when Legacy/Outback gets the SGP. Or maybe it's just the automotive press - they've got to come u with at least a few things that make any new/updated model great. Have you ever noticed that the press gushes about a model, then 2 years later when it is redesigned, they point out all the flaws in the older model (that they never mentioned 2 years before). If you want a more jaded view of the automotive press, search YouTube for John Cadogan (he's an engineer in Australia, and used to do car reviews).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to JeffAsfbay For This Useful Post:
jgriff411 (01-11-2018)
Advertisement

post #542 of 559 Old 12-13-2017, 01:46 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAsfbay View Post
Yeah, if I was wise, I'd avoid both the '18 Camry and '18 Accord. The Legacy is a nice car, and their sales numbers are terrible right now (this site is interesting and useful, i.e., look at which model sales are up and which are down - ) so you can likely get a screaming deal on one. I love my '15 Suby Outback 3.6R w/EyeSight. I wish it didn't have a CVT, and you can't accuse it of being fast, but with the 3.6 it is at least safe, and can merge and pass with ease. And I doubt that Subaru will keep the 3.6 much longer - a look at their new 3-row SUV (coming mid 2018) shows a new 2.4L turbo motor (I think that's the displacement). I'd imagine that new motor will find it's way into Outback & Legacy by the time they make the move to the Subaru global platform (I forget it's proper name). And I may well just get another Outback as a replacement for a 2001 Suburban (we don't need 3 rows anymore) and then get a sedan a year or two from now. We'll see :-)
From my research the Subaru didn't hold a candle to the Accord, aside from the AWD thing.

V6s on V6s
post #543 of 559 Old 12-30-2017, 01:38 PM
Out of Control

C&D test for those interested...

Notable quotes:

“Nearly every competitor has turned to smaller, turbocharged four-cylinders for their uplevel engine options, including the Camry’s nemesis, the Honda Accord. This V-6 is a stonker, though, sending the Camry from zero to 60 mph in 5.8 seconds.”

“Still, the 252-hp turbocharged inline-four in Honda’s top-dog Accord 2.0T scoots that model to 60 mph 0.3 second quicker. Although the two sedans have nearly equal peak torque, the 2.0T Accord has barely any torque steer whereas the Toyota has plenty.”

“Honda also has Toyota beat in the transmission race, where the Accord 2.0T boasts a quick-witted automatic with 10 forward speeds to the Camry’s eight. The Accord also offers a manual transmission with both of its engine options. A stick shift would be a much welcome alternative for the Camry, as decisions come slowly to the eight-speed automatic. There is a slight delay between the driver stomping the gas pedal and the receipt of a downshift, a sin aggravated by the transmission’s stubborn preference for its higher gears. A Sport button on the center console adds some eagerness to the engine’s responses, and an S slot for the gear lever does the same for the transmission, but neither fully erases the powertrain’s slight hesitation in reaction to aggressive throttle applications.”

“The chassis is pretty much spot-on. This Camry turns with an enthusiasm that nearly matches the benchmark Honda Accord and Mazda 6.”
zroger73 likes this.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)

post #544 of 559 Old 01-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
I went and tested the new Camry today with my wife. Really liked it.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 178k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2003 Ford F-150
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #545 of 559 Old 01-10-2018, 04:44 PM
6th Gear

Which is a good Camry forum to discuss the 2018 and + models?

2011 Accord Coupe I4 5 A/T
post #546 of 559 Old 01-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post
Which is a good Camry forum to discuss the 2018 and + models?
Toyota Nation

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

2003 Ford F-150

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #547 of 559 Old 01-10-2018, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta View Post
I went and tested the new Camry today with my wife. Really liked it.
Which model Camry did you test drive? When I test drove the '18 Camry SE mid-December while considering it and the Accord EX, I noticed some rough down/up shifting when slowing down and regaining speed. When I shared this with the salesman, he requested/obliged test driving another only to feel the same thing. Apparently after visiting ToyotaNation, it is a common feel and Toyota issued a TSB to address the issue with success for some but not all. I just couldn't see buying it knowing it felt this way, not to mentioned the Accord was much more smooth in shifting, ride, and feel. Very happy with the Accord!
post #548 of 559 Old 01-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan76 View Post
Which model Camry did you test drive? When I test drove the '18 Camry SE mid-December while considering it and the Accord EX, I noticed some rough down/up shifting when slowing down and regaining speed. When I shared this with the salesman, he requested/obliged test driving another only to feel the same thing. Apparently after visiting ToyotaNation, it is a common feel and Toyota issued a TSB to address the issue with success for some but not all. I just couldn't see buying it knowing it felt this way, not to mentioned the Accord was much more smooth in shifting, ride, and feel. Very happy with the Accord!
I tested the 4 cylinder SE model. I noticed the shifting to be a little funky. I wouldn't say it was rough, but a little bit off-timed. And yes, it was usually during the acceleration from complete stops or low speed. It was barely noticeable though and I didn't pay much attention to it.

The car was very smooth and comfortable. Looks great too.

Not sure if you noticed, but some 10th gen Accords already needed new CVT transmissions.

2003 Ford F-150

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

post #549 of 559 Old 01-10-2018, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
I tested the 4 cylinder SE model. I noticed the shifting to be a little funky. I wouldn't say it was rough, but a little bit off-timed. And yes, it was usually during the acceleration from complete stops or low speed. It was barely noticeable though and I didn't pay much attention to it.

Not sure if you noticed, but some 10th gen Accords already needed new CVT transmissions.
The two Camry SE models I test drove was really noticeable to the point I focused more on it than the rest of the car. Apart from the shifting, the Camry was nice. As for some of the Accords already needing new CVT transmissions, I'll just hope I have better fortune as so far my Accord rides and shifts real smooth, even more so than the '17 Accord Sport SE I just traded in for the '18.
post #550 of 559 Old 01-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:

Mazda is still the champ in the exterior department, though their interior could use some work. I really like the 10th Gen interior, now that I have sat in an EX-L in the local dealer.

Can you elaborate on the transmission situation? My buddy is considering a car and he is split between Accord, 6 and Regal. If the CVT is a common issue, that might make the decision easier.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #551 of 559 Old 01-11-2018, 06:34 AM
2nd Gear

I've been reading a lot on Toyota Nation as I make comparisons between Accord and Camry. Even the most diehard Camry fan absolutely hates the new Toyota Entune system. There is no CarPlay/Android Auto, cover art disappears when you shift out of park, you can't see folders or play lists with music on flash drives and the Scout GPS app which works through your phone is currently not functional with iPhones. Other than the Scout problem, Toyota does not consider these to be problems as they were intentionally designed that way. As mentioned in other posts, the Camry is having its share of transmission problems as well although perhaps not to the point of having to be replaced.
post #552 of 559 Old 01-11-2018, 02:26 PM
4th Gear

Garage
Quote:

There are some 2018 Camry's out there that need transmissions, too, what's your point?

2017 EX-L V6. WOP. 28% Solarguard. Thinkware F50 Dashcam. Otherwise, Bone stock.
post #553 of 559 Old 01-13-2018, 05:48 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny68 View Post
I've been reading a lot on Toyota Nation as I make comparisons between Accord and Camry. Even the most diehard Camry fan absolutely hates the new Toyota Entune system. There is no CarPlay/Android Auto, cover art disappears when you shift out of park, you can't see folders or play lists with music on flash drives and the Scout GPS app which works through your phone is currently not functional with iPhones. Other than the Scout problem, Toyota does not consider these to be problems as they were intentionally designed that way. As mentioned in other posts, the Camry is having its share of transmission problems as well although perhaps not to the point of having to be replaced.
Rumors has it that the upcoming Avalon may come with AA. Imagine corporate meetings at Toyota discussing losing market share just because their cars don't have AA/CP.

2011 Accord Coupe I4 5 A/T
post #554 of 559 Old 01-13-2018, 06:00 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post
Rumors has it that the upcoming Avalon may come with AA. Imagine corporate meetings at Toyota discussing losing market share just because their cars don't have AA/CP.
AA/CP is becoming a deal breaker.

I will not get a car without it, and, unless CP either allows Google Maps and Waze, or there is a huge improvement in Apple maps, I will be dumping my iPhone for an Android when I next change phones.

I keep my cars a long time, auto electronics cannot stay as current as what's on the phones.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
post #555 of 559 Old 01-13-2018, 07:05 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
I keep my cars a long time, auto electronics cannot stay as current as what's on the phones.
This is exactly what made AA/CP a "must have" for me in a car search....not only does it effectively allow the infotainment system to be updated along with the phone's OS, it provides consistency and familiarity from car-to-car. Car mfr's have no incentive to update a previous model year's infotainment system because they want you to purchase the current model car. Ironically, like in the case of Toyota, they're probably missing out on getting customers into their brand pipeline by being stubborn about not adopting AA/CP.

CarPlay is by no means perfect and has a lot of room for improvement. But by leveraging the "common thread" of building on the the drivers' phone OS, it does have the most potential for being the best overall infotainment solution.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.