04 V6 knock sensor replacement - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
  • 1 Post By princess
  • 1 Post By princess
  • 1 Post By Fromthecoast
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-15-2007, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
04 V6 knock sensor replacement

here you go:

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 04 V6 knock sensor.pdf (17.7 KB, 7171 views)
File Type: pdf 04 V6 intake removal.pdf (59.4 KB, 6582 views)
File Type: pdf 04 V6 coil cover.pdf (29.9 KB, 3410 views)
Bigbaldmike likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to princess For This Useful Post:
Bigbaldmike (07-23-2016)
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 AM
1st Gear

Thanks so much!

post #3 of 13 Old 11-15-2007, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
ready to go....

You're welcome!

I do what I can.....

post #4 of 13 Old 11-15-2007, 09:37 AM
1st Gear

Not to be a total pain, but do you have torque specs for putting the intake manifold back on?
post #5 of 13 Old 11-15-2007, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
ready to go....

that one didn't have it?

This one does:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 04 V6 intake removal and installation.pdf (59.4 KB, 3109 views)
post #6 of 13 Old 11-15-2007, 10:41 AM
6th Gear

No princess, it doesn't have the torque specs for the intake manifold but it does show the sequence. Does it show up on your screen prior to making it a pdf?

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT Auto Coupe
post #7 of 13 Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
ready to go....

It shows up when I see it on the ISIS, but not the saved ones... I wonder why???? Anyway, here's the torques. I included the paragraph that goes with each so you can match it to the instructions pictures.

Specified Torque
Put a new gasket on the injector base.

Install the intake manifold. Tighten the bolts and nuts sequentially in two or three steps. Always use a new intake manifold gasket

8 x 1.25 mm:
22 Nm (2.2 kgfm, 16 lbfft)

Install the upper cover. Tighten the bolts and nuts sequentially in two or three steps. Always use a new gasket.
Specified Torque

6 x 1.0 mm:
12 Nm (1.2 kgfm, 8.7 lbfft)
Bigbaldmike likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to princess For This Useful Post:
Bigbaldmike (07-23-2016)
post #8 of 13 Old 11-15-2007, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

Thanks so much, you're awesome.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-07-2008, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

I would just like to add my two cents to this thread. I realize this is an old thread but judging from the occurance of this issue, I'm sure that it will remain relevant.

A rat or squirrel had chewed through my knock sensor harness. Not sure why or when. The "harness" is not protected and is a very small wire with no sheath (in stock form) so it is very easy to be damaged by critters.

The subharness literally cost less than $7 at my local dealership. I'm sure you could find it cheaper elsewhere but why bother?

First I removed the coil cover, and upper intake manifold. Unplugging the various sensor connectors was easy and the PVC hoses, etc. were realtively pain free. The coolant hoses going to the throttle body are a little bit of a PITA. They are under the TB so you have to somewhat work blind. Once you have those off, you can lift the manifold right off. Then comes the part that I found very little guidance on.

Once the upper manifold is off, you are looking at the lower manifold with the fuel rails and injectors right in the way of where you need to work. Instead of removing all the fuel rails, accessories, and lower manifold, I chose to disconnect the front fuel rail and move it out of the way, w/o disconnecting it from the fuel system. Once I did that, I used a pair of needlenose pliers to disconnect the harness from the knock sensor. I also used the needlenose pliers to install the new harness into the Knock Sensor first. Once that was done I attached the other end of the subharness to its mounting location. I then reassembled everything torquing to spec.

All in all, it is a pretty easy job it just takes a little time. A very reputable local dealer quoted $180 for the job. The KS is <$45 and the harness is <$7. More than likely you will only need the latter. This is a fairly easy job to tackle and IIRC, you will only need basic hand tools: flashlight/worklight, ratchet, 8, 10, and 12 mm sockets, and needlenose pliers. You definitely don't have to be a master mechanic for this one.

At in all, this saved me $186 vs. allowing the dealership to perform this work. I called around for the best price so your prices may vary.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.
Bigbaldmike likes this.

2004 Desert Mist Metallic EX V6 Coupe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fromthecoast For This Useful Post:
Bigbaldmike (07-23-2016), CloudsRester (05-16-2017)
post #10 of 13 Old 11-24-2008, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

A Rat??

I am once again new to a Honda Accord, previously owned an 89 2DR, and I cannot believe that this is a recurring event among Honda Accords from the 90's until today. Are rats systematically targeting our knock sensor wiring harnesses?????? I can tell the same story that I hvae read numerous times online.... and the mechanic "suspects" that a rat did it. My accord has less than 10,000 miles on it and now they want $300 to fix a rodent chewn wire, of course not covered by warranty because it was caused by a "rodent". How many people out there have paid to have this fixed when it is likely a warranty issue. If they are all "being chewed" just after the fire resistant tape on the wire, where that sharp piece of metal sticks out, it is a warranty issue and it is bull>>>> that we are paying the dealerships to fix them.

Have any others had this happen? Where is the Tear? This is what car clubs are for, so the manufacturers can find recalls.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

-

Hey guys,

New member...

I had the SAME exact thing happen to me last week.
Engine light comes on, so I take it in and they say a 'rodent' chewed through
the knock sensor. $300 to fix it. Plus, a broken motor mount, but that is for another thread :P

So it sounds like its a simple fix if you know your way around down there?

Thanks for the links Princess. I may attempt it now that I found some solid info.

---
2004 Honda Accord coupe EX/V6 w/Navi
post #12 of 13 Old 05-16-2017, 11:34 PM
My First Post

A Rat?? Hell Yeah!!!

Even after 10 years, this post is still extremely helpful, thanks to Princess for the documents to do this. My wire was also chewed threw by a Rat. I have evidence of rat droppings and snail shells that it likes to eat, plus the knock sensor wire is missing 3/4" of wire. I have an 03 Accord EX V6 and didn't need the Coil Cover removal document, but referring to the intake and knock sensor removal documents helped a lot. No instructions for the fuel rails and intake runner base removal, but fairly easy with the right elbows and swivel sockets for that last bolt on the back of the intake runner base. I had to remove the fuel rails and intake runner base since trying to remove just the wire connector (with long needle-nose pliers) broke the connector off of the Knock Sensor (old and fragile plastic). Anyway, thanks again to Princess for the documentation!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE07V62DR View Post
I am once again new to a Honda Accord, previously owned an 89 2DR, and I cannot believe that this is a recurring event among Honda Accords from the 90's until today. Are rats systematically targeting our knock sensor wiring harnesses?????? I can tell the same story that I hvae read numerous times online.... and the mechanic "suspects" that a rat did it. My accord has less than 10,000 miles on it and now they want $300 to fix a rodent chewn wire, of course not covered by warranty because it was caused by a "rodent". How many people out there have paid to have this fixed when it is likely a warranty issue. If they are all "being chewed" just after the fire resistant tape on the wire, where that sharp piece of metal sticks out, it is a warranty issue and it is bull>>>> that we are paying the dealerships to fix them.

Have any others had this happen? Where is the Tear? This is what car clubs are for, so the manufacturers can find recalls.

Yes, even after 9 years of this post, dumb a$$ rats chew through the wire. My accord has been garaged parked for the last 8 years of ownership, until I bought two new motorcycles. Guess what, my Accord gets the outside driveway treatment, and my motorcycles and wife's car get the luxury of garage cover. Anyway, we live in the outskirts of town, rural suburbs, and close to a field. Within the year my engine light goes on and the OBDII scanner says its a Knock Sensor. I get all the parts and find Princess' documents to replace. It wasn't until I pulled out the new Honda wire I bought for $7 and "just in case I needed it" that I noticed the sheath wrap around the wires...it has drawings of rats with an X on the head. So, needless to say, this has been a big enough problem that Honda Motor Corp printed on the new anti-rat wrapped wires "death to rat" pictures. Seems to be an issue with wires wrapped in Soy...rodents love to chew them.

BTW...I have several friends that this has happened to and caused thousands of dollars damage, an older Toyota Camry and a 2016 Honda Civic had its main wiring harness chewed through.
Some tips to prevent rodents with the URL below...

Attached Images

Last edited by CloudsRester; 05-17-2017 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Update
post #13 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 08:38 AM
Out of Control

Glad you got it repaired, the coverings have no poison, but capsicum extract is the deterent. Mice and other rodent's chew on everything as they are trying to wear down there 2 front teeth as the never stop growing. The do not eat the wiring because it tastes good, rodent's have been chewing up everything for centuries.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.