Honda should issue a Recall on VTC actuator issues then a TSB - Page 3 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
View Poll Results: VTC Failure
Recall 7 77.78%
STB 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #31 of 54 Old 11-05-2012, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
I'm curious (and nothing more than that): What do you believe will be a better, more reliable car and will cost less to operate and have better re-sale value than a Honda Accord?
I'm not sure, Honda has made great cars, but this 2008 Accord seems to be a problem car for them. Toyota also has some problems, but our Toyota is running strong at 130,000 miles.

Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 PM
3rd Gear

I went to the dealer today to discuss a dash-rattle. Before the tech and I went on a test drive, he looked up "rattles" for 2012 accord on the computer...he told me that the only rattles shown for my car were the rear shelf and the cold-start rattle. With a funny face I'm sure, I asked him if it was the VTC actuator. He assured me that Honda had updated the tsb to include 2012 cars...I am still unsure, but I'm going to leave my car next week to have them check it out (among other things: cold idle transmission rattle, tighten my ebrake handle, but mainly to address the dash rattle (which he heard and agreed it would be annoying)).

So far I am very satisfied with my experience with the local techs I hope they are able to resolve the dash rattle

EDIT: TSB #SB-09-010

2012 Honda Accord EX 2.4L 5MT (Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory)
post #33 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM
My First Post

2008 Accord actuator problem

I have a 2008 accord and have 100k and now having actuator problem, and seems to be its an issue with 2008 specifically. Honda should do a recall. Mine is out of warranty and not sure if I need to change it after reading all the threads by paying more than $600 to a dealer.

post #34 of 54 Old 03-24-2013, 03:58 PM
My First Post

Cold start grinding sound for 2 to 3 secs

Honda Accord 2009 sedan
Milleage - 98500kms
post #35 of 54 Old 12-11-2013, 06:13 AM
2015 Accord Touring I4

My rattle is back, and now my car is out of normal warranty.

We need a recall on the part. Contact Honda anyone affected by this problem!

2015 Honda Accord Sedan Touring NAVI I4 CVT White Orchard Pearl
2011 Toyota Venza Premium V6 AWD 6AT Blizzard Pearl
2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
2005 Acura TSX I4 5AT Premium White Pearl (Sold)
2002 Honda Civic Coupe SiG Veloz I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
post #36 of 54 Old 12-12-2013, 04:57 AM
My First Post

I am on my 2nd VTC actuator in 3 weeks on my 2012 CRV with 27,000 miles and when I started it again this morning I heard a faint noise. Here we go again! UGG I think that the oil weight of 0 is the problem.

My 2006 Accord EX.....No problems at all except routine maintenance. 2012 CRV EXL.... VTC Actuator problems. Will this eventually end up as engine failure?
post #37 of 54 Old 12-12-2013, 05:25 AM
5th Gear

jfi, "Recalls" are only issued (or, better stated, required by the NHTSA) for safety problems -- brakes, tires, lights, etc. This isn't that.

WRT the question -- "Will this result in an engine failure?" -- no.

Further, mmrwillib, the odds on your having a second VTC issue, much less a third, are astronomical. The fact that you had a second one is some evidence the first repair wasn't done correctly. Also, you mentioned hearing a "faint noise" today. Whatever that noise may be (and I can't hear it from here ), it's not a VTC actuator. They don't de-grade over time. It's like pregnancy: All or nothing, and there's no mistaking the characteristic LOUD rattling sound.

Finally, it bears repeating that VTC failures aren't common. That's little consolation to those who have to replace one, but VTC failures have never been a "fleet wide" problem, even for model years '08 and early '09.
post #38 of 54 Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 AM
2015 Accord Touring I4

Is it possible that oil consumption can cause the premature wear of the VTC actuator? I had mine replaced about 6-8 months before they replaced my piston rings and pistons... so I had to start with low oil for a number of occasions for the oil consumption test... I only noticed my noise come back after the low oil starts... then it never went away, and has become progressively worse... now in -11 degrees Celsius its LOUD.

Honda told me it can't be the VTC actuator since they just replaced it less than a year ago.. but the noise is very recognizable. I'm going to wait until it does it at every start, right now in my garage its too warm to tell.

2015 Honda Accord Sedan Touring NAVI I4 CVT White Orchard Pearl
2011 Toyota Venza Premium V6 AWD 6AT Blizzard Pearl
2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
2005 Acura TSX I4 5AT Premium White Pearl (Sold)
2002 Honda Civic Coupe SiG Veloz I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
post #39 of 54 Old 12-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Jjz
My First Post

I have had my vtc acuator replaced twice under warranty on my '10 CRV. Honda told me the reason it was replaced again was because the timing chain was stretched. They said now that they fixed that I won't have a problem. WRONG! Now it's doing it again only several months later! I only hear the noise on the first cold start of the day but during cooler weather changes engine noises reappear. This also happens when my oil levels are low. Not impressed with Honda
post #40 of 54 Old 02-01-2014, 06:52 PM
My First Post

Hello. I don't drive an Accord but a I do drive a 2012 Civic Si with the K24. We've got the same issue with the VTC cold start rattle:

I wonder if the VTC rattle returns because the techs are not bolting the VTC on correctly. In the video link below, a tech describes how one should use an open wrench to keep the camshaft stationary as the VTC is bolted on. If you do not old the shaft steady, the tech says, you could transfer too much torque to the VTC lock pin and bend that pin. If that pin is bent and cannot fall into the lock position, perhaps that is why the VTC rattles.

post #41 of 54 Old 04-28-2014, 06:06 AM
My First Post

I have a 2012 CRV which is making same noise, I have 45,000 miles on my car and the noise just started a month ago is this covered my Honda. Why is this not a recall?
Who do I call?
post #42 of 54 Old 05-08-2014, 10:05 AM
AuthorB

Will this VTC acutaor issue cause engine failure? What if they do nothing and I do nothing until I sell the car on a hot summer day whent eh noise doesn't happen?
post #43 of 54 Old 05-08-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

sure
post #44 of 54 Old 11-14-2014, 06:33 PM
My First Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08EX-L View Post
Is it possible that oil consumption can cause the premature wear of the VTC actuator? I had mine replaced about 6-8 months before they replaced my piston rings and pistons... so I had to start with low oil for a number of occasions for the oil consumption test... I only noticed my noise come back after the low oil starts... then it never went away, and has become progressively worse... now in -11 degrees Celsius its LOUD.

Honda told me it can't be the VTC actuator since they just replaced it less than a year ago.. but the noise is very recognizable. I'm going to wait until it does it at every start, right now in my garage its too warm to tell.
From what my dealership told me today when they positively diagnosed vtc actuator failure in my '13 Si, the fix is to replace the part with another of the same part, which to me does not fix anything unless the original part had broken or was otherwise faulty, which at 26k miles I didn't think it would have broken unless it was broken when installed. The dealership then proceeded to tell me that Honda is in the process of designing a new actuator for all their K24Z motors, but it has not been released yet. Has anyone heard anything like this?
post #45 of 54 Old 01-06-2015, 01:46 PM
2015 Accord Touring I4

I replaced that actuator again and only 5 months later the noise is back... going to honda a 3rd time.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.