2003-04 Ignition Switch Recall - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-09-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

2003-04 Ignition Switch Recall

I didn't see this posted yet. Hope it's in the right place.

Statement by American Honda Motor Co., Inc., Regarding Ignition Switch Interlock Mechanism Recall: 2003 Accord, Civic, 2003/2004 Element Vehicles

TORRANCE, Calif. – Aug. 9, 2010 – Honda will recall approximately 197,000 Accord and 117,000 Civic vehicles from the 2003 model year and roughly 69,000 Element vehicles from the 2003 and 2004 model years in the U.S. to prevent a malfunction of the ignition interlock feature of these vehicles. Honda has received several complaints about such failures in these vehicles and is aware of a small number of related incidents, including one that resulted in a minor injury.

The ignition interlock mechanism can be damaged or worn during use. If this happens, it may become possible to remove the ignition key when the shift lever is not in Park. If the transmission is not in Park and the parking brake is not set, the vehicle could roll away, and a crash could occur.

Honda is announcing this recall to encourage all owners of affected vehicles to take their vehicle to an authorized dealer as soon as they receive notification from Honda that their vehicle requires repair. Notification to customers will start in late September, 2010.

When Honda identifies concerns of this nature, nothing is more important to the company than fulfilling our obligation and responsibility to alert our customers. To this end, in addition to contacting customers by mail, after Sept. 20, 2010, owners of these vehicles will be able to determine if their vehicle requires repair by going on-line or calling Honda. Honda owners can go to or call (800) 999-1009, and select option 4.

"Silvia" / 2007 Accord EX 2DR V6 6MT
Alabaster Silver / Grey Leather / 62k mi
XM-Ready / Dual Climate Controls / Non-Navi
Mods: Honda Fogs, HFP suspension and under spoilers, TL 17mm RSB, aftermarket audio [hu/sub/speakers]
To-do list: ...

1996 Accord EX 2DR 5MT (Prior Vehicle)
Heather Mist Metallic / Ivory Interior / 175,xxx mi at sale
Owned 6 years / Original clutch, engine trouble-free.
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-10-2010, 08:33 AM
bodyboarder

Send a message via AIM to Rich Send a message via Yahoo to Rich Send a message via Skype™ to Rich
good thing i have a 6spd and not A/T

Bye Bye Accord!!

Xbox Live Gamertag: BeachBum561FLA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 11-02-2010, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

got my letter. anyone done this recall yet? how long does it take for this recall? thx!!!

2003 Honda accord LX-G Stock

post #4 of 10 Old 11-06-2010, 10:31 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
got my letter. anyone done this recall yet? how long does it take for this recall? thx!!!
i just did that recall and the dealer took about 5 hours to do it.

2000 Toyota Camry I4 (2004 - 2010)
2003 Honda Accord V6 (2010 - present)
post #5 of 10 Old 11-21-2010, 02:43 AM
2nd Gear

Send a message via AIM to Samzebian Send a message via MSN to Samzebian Send a message via Yahoo to Samzebian Send a message via Skype™ to Samzebian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Speed View Post
what exactly do they replace? The whole starter/ignition? or is it just the interlock?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 EX Sedan 2.4L I4 A/T

post #6 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear

Send a message via AIM to Samzebian Send a message via MSN to Samzebian Send a message via Yahoo to Samzebian Send a message via Skype™ to Samzebian
Well looks like I'm bringing my car into the dealership tomorrow morning, they said it will take "a few hours" (very vague).

Anyone know how long it takes/what it is they're replacing? It'll help me know what I'll have time to do tomorrow.

Thanks.

post #7 of 10 Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Speed View Post
unless your dealer was extremely busy that day, or the mechanic was really slow, it shouldn't have taken that long. They told me an hour to an hour and a half, I'm waiting at the dealership now

post #8 of 10 Old 12-04-2010, 01:33 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzebian View Post
unless your dealer was extremely busy that day, or the mechanic was really slow, it shouldn't have taken that long. They told me an hour to an hour and a half, I'm waiting at the dealership now
Sorry for the late reply. I guess the mechanic is slow and I think they only change out the interlock parts.

2000 Toyota Camry I4 (2004 - 2010)
2003 Honda Accord V6 (2010 - present)
post #9 of 10 Old 12-04-2010, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear

it's alright;

They took about 2 hours because they also changed out my turn signal bulb (which I SWEAR was fine but the right-turn signal was blinking fast). Lol they wanted to charge me $28 for parts and labor for it, I told him I'd just buy it myself and put it in. I'm standing in the parts line, and the service guy runs over a minute later telling me not to buy the buld;

the other guy who worked on my car installed it anyways, even though the service guy and I didn't tell him to. Luckily they charged me only for the $5 bulb. No work and the bulb at a good price is a win-win!

They also fixed my wiper motor with a cover and some other stuff so that it wouldn't get damaged in the rain. Last time I went to the same dealership to fix my radio (was broken when I first got the car), they told me they only replaced the wiper motor if it broke, and there was nothing to install. Luckily this time they fixed it without even telling me until it was done; good thing I wasn't in a rush or anything.

post #10 of 10 Old 06-08-2015, 10:15 PM
6th Gear

sorry to bring back an old thread but having problems starting the car.

1. removed all electrical wiring from Battery Positive and Negative Terminal
2. Replaced Starter because when trying to remove a bolt, it snapped
3. removed Alternator and had it tested 3 times, passed so should be good

this is the next step for me and hopefully it'll be the fix

2003 Accord 4dr EX V6 Graphite Pearl aka Dark Grey
250,000+ on 2nd Transmission

Mods: Driven heavily modded vehicles. "once a modder always a modder"

*G Modifiers Crew Member #2*
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.