update on rear brake problem - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

update on rear brake problem

Hey guys, I have read threads about people having problems with their rear brakes and them going after a couple thousand miles. Seems like I ran into the same problem the other day when i dropped off my car for a noise problem in the engine bay. my service adviser asked me if I would like to change the rear break since they were low.... this was ridicules, I brought my car in when I had about 4k on it and told them I have been having brake problems they have been squeaking. so they took my car in oiled them up cleaned them and sent me on my way, I drove out and it seemed like it was fixed...later on that day they started to squeak again, so I decided to deal with it. I had also told notified them about my brake problem when I had my oil change close to 10k if I remember right. My car has 13k currently and my rear brakes need to be changed.

I have talked to the service adviser about changing them out they want about 240 for the pads and rotor cut, I had told them no this shouldn’t be happening there is something wrong brakes shouldn’t go bad after 13k miles and on top of that the rear brakes shouldn’t go first since the front break do about 70% of the breaking dealer stood by it and won’t change their mind that there is a problem. So I took it a step further and called America Honda I talked to one of the customer service reps, the guy rejected anything I had to tell him as to his knowledge he knows nothing about this problem people have been having. My conversation has been noted with the rep and put into the computer system.

I looked into some threads about break problems it seems like everyone's rear brakes go first and if a noise is noticed that cause is the rear brakes. I had also talked to America Honda rep about other customers complaints he had told me Honda has not received any notice from dealers. my question to everyone with brake problems is has anyone done anything about this or complain to the dealer, according to the rep they need a certain present of people to complain before anything can be looked into, if you guys can give me some feedback on this that would be great....THANKS

Advertisement

post #2 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 07:21 PM
need 6 speed!

Send a message via AIM to AznX TL
i say we file for class action lawsuit to warranty the brakes.

-'15 Accord Sport 6-speed
no mods
RIP-08 Accord lx-s 5speed manual/ tafetta white
mods
|DDM tuning 6k hids|12" Alpine Type-R|TSX switchblade|Lip spoiler|Type-R Suede red stitch boot|Gunmetal Type-R knob|
|Intake Resonator Delete|Hyper White led license plate led|led interior bulbs|Smoked Reverse lights|

Previous owned
-97 Acura 2.2CL auto/Flamenco Black
post #3 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Vtahk didnt kick in

Send a message via AIM to Gosha
it all depends on the dealer. when my brakes squeaked at 2k miles or so i told them what fixes the issue, replace the front rotors and front pads. they did that and no noise since then. if noise comes back again i will replace the whole braking system myself with slotted rotors and some hawks. he admitted there were many people with the issue, sedans and etc. noted Honda cheaped on the brakes, but it was nothing new since i came from Nissan which did exactly the same, only the rotors warped before 25k miles...

2011 Accord Coupe EX-L V6/Navi PMM

post #4 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 07:26 PM
need 6 speed!

Send a message via AIM to AznX TL
i still say everyone who has been effected should file a class action lawsuit, most CA law suits won against honda puts out an extended warranty that last til 100k miles.

-'15 Accord Sport 6-speed
no mods
RIP-08 Accord lx-s 5speed manual/ tafetta white
mods
|DDM tuning 6k hids|12" Alpine Type-R|TSX switchblade|Lip spoiler|Type-R Suede red stitch boot|Gunmetal Type-R knob|
|Intake Resonator Delete|Hyper White led license plate led|led interior bulbs|Smoked Reverse lights|

Previous owned
-97 Acura 2.2CL auto/Flamenco Black
post #5 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Seems like you got off easy and a nice dealer for replacing your pads. I want to bring this issue up to Honda and show them that all these people have brake problems since they seem blind from it, I just need enough people to be willing to follow through
post #6 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Vtahk didnt kick in

there is a website somewhere, i Googled 2008 honda brakes before and it showed over 25 some people having issues with the brakes, i would suggest you print that out and bring it. ill see if i can find the website.

*****edit*****
found it

good luck!

post #7 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

thanks for the website lots of help
post #8 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

PLEASE CALL HONDA AT (800) 999-1009 TO REGISTER THIS PROBLEM WITH THE BACK BRAKES. THEY CURRENTLY DO NOT HAVE ANY RECALLS FOR THIS PROBLEM.

They cannot do a recall and correct the problem without everyone's complaints. PLEASE CALL HONDA AND REGISTER YOUR COMPLAINTS. Thanks.

(800) 999-1009
post #9 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Leased a VW_My life ****s

Speaking of brakes: I was doing about 75mph on the highway and had to make an abrupt stop. As my front brakes heated up, they became really rough sounding. Not like screeching, but like thudding. I've had this experience before, turned out to be warped rotors. Do you guys think my front's are warped again? It seems now as soon as they heat up, they make the same thudding noise and are no longer as smooth as brand spanking new. I would even consider changing the front brakes myself, but, i just can't find solid rotors for the 08/09 coupe yet. If I had it my way, i would buy solid rotors and a ceramic brake pad set. I had similar set-up on my Gen 7 for about 20k miles. Loved it. At any rate, heck of a lot better than stock Honda brake rotors/pads.

'12 VW Jetta 2.5/5spd lease - WORST decision ever
'11 Infiniti G37x - Sold
'09 TW 6-6 - Sold 1/1/2011
post #10 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Vtahk didnt kick in

yeah that comment should be made into a sticky by a mod here, its a widespread problem which needs a lot of attention

post #11 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Have you replaced your rotors before and now you have the same problem, and if you did replace them did you put the OEM brakes from Honda?
it seems to me that most of the problem is that the brakes them selfs are bad (bad build product)
post #12 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaRush View Post
Have you replaced your rotors before and now you have the same problem, and if you did replace them did you put the OEM brakes from Honda?
it seems to me that most of the problem is that the brakes them selfs are bad (bad build product)

If you are referring to me, then Yes, on my Gen 7 I replaced the rotors and pads myself. The replacement parts were: $25 a piece rotors from Advance Auto and 50 dollar Bendix Ceramic brake pads with new hardware set (shims and what not). This set up was MUCH nicer, IMO, than what Honda gave the Gen 7 from the factory. It seems to me that I will have to perform a similar service for my coupe once the solid disk rotors come to market at reasonable prices.

'11 Infiniti G37x - Sold
post #13 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 08:40 PM

Side note:

I don't know if anyone has done this yet, but:

I went to the Bendix Brakes website and I searched for all of their products for the 2008 accord v6. What's interesting with this is that the front brake pads fit other Acura/Honda cars from various years, some as far back as 1999. As far as the rear brakes are concerned, the 2008 rear brake pads only have 1 application and that is only for the 2008 - 2009 Accord. This tells me that the rear brakes are some kind of a new/newer design that hasn't been proven and maybe that is the reason why some of us are experiencing premature brake wear on our rear brakes.

'11 Infiniti G37x - Sold
post #14 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Reverse Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznX TL View Post
i say we file for class action lawsuit to warranty the brakes.
I like the idea of a class action lawsuit. How do we go about doing this? I'm sure Honda America is aware of the problem, playing dumb is not going to solve anything. Mine are sqeaking after 2k. We definitely need a recall with a proper fix.

2009 Accord Coupe EX-L I-4 A/T (PMM/Black)
-Deck Lid Spoiler, 8k HIDs, iSimple PXAMG,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Splashguards, Trunk Tray

Future: LED Interior, LED Tail Lights (when some decent ones come out)
post #15 of 157 Old 03-05-2009, 11:51 PM
1st Gear

I was just in a couple of days ago for the squeaking noise and the dealer did what I expected. The tech and supervisor both said it was "normal." They even told me that the district manager was in there and also said it was "normal." The tech then told the supervisor to print out the honda sheet that talks about how squeaking brakes is "normal." When he gave it to me, I thanked him for the scratch paper. It was really funny when I then told him about others who have had problems and he was like "don't believe those people online, they could just be lying." I questioned why people would do that and he just walked away. What really puzzled me was that the supervisor asked me to come in again a second time and he could do something for me which didn't make sense at all. He also told me to come in before the brake warranty is up which he said was 5,000 miles or 1 year. Can someone confirm that? I never heard of the brakes being separate from the normal warranty.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.