K&N Air Filter,who put one in.and is ther any difference - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-01-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
15.white,sport

K&N Air Filter,who put one in.and is ther any difference

Did the K&N help in any way.....gas. performance ??

Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Out of Control

I did. I also drilled a few small holes in my OEM air box to help with rapid air intake during WOT runs. (I bought a second OEM box for $25 and drilled that one. I still have my “un-drilled” OEM box.) Call it a semi-SRI. Yes I believed it helped.

This video above is part of a series of comparative dyno tests on several aftermarket intakes. The car was the 2013 Scion FR-S. On that engine, which isn’t too much different from your 2.4-liter I4, the K&N drop-in made an additional 5.7 hp. What was interesting was the drop-in made essentially the same amount of extra power as all the SRIs. In fact some SRIs produced less power. The drop-in won’t sound as good as an SRI, but will produce essentially as much extra power.

This video validated the claim that most OEM intakes are very well designed. OEM systems are not restrictive. What is restrictive is the air filter. This video also validated the claim that 95% of the hp gains result from a less restrictive air filter, whether it be a drop-in panel or a cone filter, they’re all made of the same stuff. In counter balance, they do NOT filter as well. All of these lower resistance filters will allow more airborne crap to enter the engine. You never get something for nothing.

In my case, winter is the only time I really worry about dirty air – primarily when I drive through thick clouds of dried salt dust on the highway after a snow storm. For winter, I just drop my OEM paper-filter back in the air box. It takes literally three minutes. In spring I go back to the K&N. For ≈$50, I will argue a K&N drop-in is the best performance upgrade you can do for the money. A $250+ "big name" SRI won't produce more power. It will just sound better.

Miker and pittpa like this.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #3 of 21 Old 08-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Yo Yo Ma

I purchased the

from Amazon for $50 really hard to say if I gained any HP or improved MPG because I did notice a slight increase in MPG (1-2). It really comes down to how hard you push the car in which case I have been pushing the car far less than I was when I first purchased it. I would say your better off purchasing the K&N intake for $220 off Amazon if you really want to see immediate results to MPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Suzuki SV650S - Sold

1991 Honda Civic 5MT - Sold

post #4 of 21 Old 08-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Out of Control

Dumb experiment – well maybe not…. I figured this thread is a good place to discuss it without high jacking it or starting yet another air filter thread.

I cleaned my K&N drop-in filter today. I also have my original OEM (redundant?) paper filter. In my house we have floor supply registers for the A/C. As an experiment I placed each filter over the same floor supply (one at a time obviously) just to see if I could feel any difference in air flow.

First, they both blocked a lot of air. Compared to what came out of the supply unblocked, both filters were very restrictive. But when I placed my hand over each filter the K&N filter felt like it let a lot more air through than the paper filter. I have no formal way to measure the CFM, but it was noticeably more and demonstrated to me that there is a significant difference in airflow for the two types of filters. Based on this test, paper filters flow nowhere near as well as the K&N drop-in filters - not even close.

If anyone else has a drop-in and a paper filter could they possibly perform the same test? It’s real easy! I’d really like to hear other’s observations. Thanks.

post #5 of 21 Old 08-23-2015, 06:44 PM
GTP
2nd Gear

Is the K&N still an "oiled" filter or is it dry now?

Does any one else make a dry hi flow drop in filter for our 4 cyl?
post #6 of 21 Old 11-10-2015, 02:03 AM
5 Honda Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP View Post
Is the K&N still an "oiled" filter or is it dry now?

Does any one else make a dry hi flow drop in filter for our 4 cyl?

AFE has a dry filter in the works.I saw it on their website.And will the 2015 2.4 K&N fit the 2016 Accord 2.4?

2016 Accord Sport CVT,Weathertech mats,AVS window visors,Sport Grill,RV6 downpipe etune coming soon.
post #7 of 21 Old 11-10-2015, 02:25 PM
NEW YORKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmonky View Post
AFE has a dry filter in the works.I saw it on their website.And will the 2015 2.4 K&N fit the 2016 Accord 2.4?
That's what I have installed on my 12 exlv6 and I love it. Can definitely feel the difference when you step on the gas.

2012 Honda Accord EXLV6 sedan
post #8 of 21 Old 11-10-2015, 08:39 PM
5th Gear

I have the drop in filter. It made a slight change in the intake sound whereby you can hear the VTEC crossover better. That's probably where the extra 3-4 crankshaft hp is gained, all at the top. Not going to realistically feel any of it in day to day driving; temperature fluctuations through the day will alter power more.

It's better paired when you at least have Ktuner and preferably a Jpipe to go with it. I only have Ktuner so I can't say how it would overall be with a stock filter, but again, I doubt I would notice the seat of pants difference.

'14 EX-L V6 with Nav
  • 17 mm TSX Sway bar
  • K-tuned
post #9 of 21 Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
Dumb experiment – I cleaned my K&N drop-in filter today.
Let me guess....you FAILED to follow K&N's recommendation regarding the cleaning/oiling interval. If you did, you are NOT alone. Millions of ricers and bench racers do this every single day.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #10 of 21 Old 11-10-2015, 10:03 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
Let me guess....you FAILED to follow K&N's recommendation regarding the cleaning/oiling interval. If you did, you are NOT alone. Millions of ricers and bench racers do this every single day.
Let me guess...you failed to read the entire post LOL.

BaldEagle's "dumb experiment" was his testing for flow via placing the filters in front of a fan pretty much. He did not overdrench his filter with oil.

I have the drop in. Even if it does give you the advertised hp gain your're not going to feel it. It does give you slightly increased induction noise above 4k rpm on the I4 cvt. Best of all its not $250

2014 Accord Sport WOP

Right Now:
DDM HID 5000k | PIAA Ion Yellow Fogs | ExLED Custom Interior Kit | K&N SRI | Tein S-Tech | 35% Llumar | Borla Axleback Exhaust

In The Future:
19mm RSB
post #11 of 21 Old 11-11-2015, 04:33 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
Not sure where you are going with this but it was not a “formal” filter cleaning recommended at 50,000 miles. By cleaning my filter, I simply popped out the dry particulate matter (dried bugs, tiny leaf particles, dandelion seeds, sand, etc.) caught in the gauze, gave it a quick spray with water in the kitchen sink and let it dry. I did not soap the filter or scrub/brush the filter to risk removing any oil. I did not reapply any oil.

To point, even if I did over oil the filter it still let more air pass through it than my nearly-new OEM filter. And if you believe the video tests shown in post #2, that would support the results that a drop-in low-resistance air filter can add 5+hp over a stock OEM air filter.

post #12 of 21 Old 11-11-2015, 04:54 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
I put one in. Yes, there is a difference in performance. No, it's not just in my head. The engine breathes better. That is compared to the green paper filter I had in, which wasn't OEM.

Not sure about the MPGs. If there's a slight 1-2 MPGs increase, you'd hardly be able to tell unless you do some advanced calculations.

2005 Honda Accord V6 - 179k

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #13 of 21 Old 11-19-2015, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

I installed one for like a day and returned it. Car ran like balls with it in. Fuel mileage dropped and no noticeable power or throttle difference. Save your $50 imo
post #14 of 21 Old 11-22-2015, 08:16 AM
G26
4th Gear

The oem paper probably filters better and flows better and you don't need to mess with oiling the filter etc.

Current - 2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Previous - 2010 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe
Previous - 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
post #15 of 21 Old 11-22-2015, 10:41 AM
4th Gear

The K&N more than likely sacrafices filtration for flow,and at what CFM are they flowing better?Are the higher CFMs these filters flow better at even being seen in 90% of applications?
In boost applications the benifits of a K&N and alike can be had,but in any stock or lightly modded engine nothing is going to beat a OEM paper filter for both filtration AND flow.

There have been plenty of tests done on the matter,here is just one.

With MPGs being more of a concern than ever and manufactures trying to one up oneanother in this asspect for even 1 or 2 MPG,if more MPGs can be had from an oiled filter don't you think ALL manufacturers would be using them and just adding the cleaning of the filter to the maintanance schedule?

'13 ASM EX-L V6 Sedan
"Just because someone does something for a living,it doesn't mean they're good at it"
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.