premium or regular gas? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
21Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
2017 Accord V6 Coupe

premium or regular gas?

Here's the debate...

premium or regular gas for the 2017 V6 coupes??

I know its recommended to put regular unleaded gas, but would premium gas (91 Shell in Canada) affect the car in any way or do any damage?

In Canada we have 91 Shell V-power which is premium gas, or the regular 87 unleaded...

what is your opinion, what do you guys feed your accords with???
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 08:32 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to vasekvi Send a message via Yahoo to vasekvi
No benefit. Use regular.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Blackheart likes this.

My 2003 SSM Sedan Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to vasekvi For This Useful Post:
RyanAccordV6HFP (04-09-2017)
post #3 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 09:00 AM
5th Gear

Regular 87 octane for my V6. Why spend more money for nothing?
Blackheart likes this.

Current Honda = 2015 Accord sedan: WOP Ex-L V6-6AT/Nav
Previous Hondas = 2007 Civic Ex Sedan (5spd-AT) & 1973 Civic 1200cc 5spd-MT hatchback
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeNC For This Useful Post:
post #4 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 09:51 AM
10th Gear

You will not likely realize any measurable value or gains from using premium fuel. However, if using premium is something you want to use....go for it as it will not hurt the car!

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM
The Following User Says Thank You to seldomseen For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Hmm... Makes me wonder if anyone has dynoed a 9th Gen V6 with 91 or 93 before. On the 8th Gen V6, you get a little more power and torque with premium, and it's dyno-proven.

To answer your question, use 87 to save money. If you can get 87 E0(no ethanol), get that; I personally use 91 because E0 is only available in premium in the Great White North. Ethanol is not good for cars.

2008 Honda Accord Coup EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to UnknownJinX For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Uptown Rooter

I do what the owner's manual says, which is to use top-tier gasoline with a Techron-like cleaning agent.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
The Following User Says Thank You to slimm1469 For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 11:17 AM
3rd Gear

The BMWs I owned recommended premium so the engines wouldn't knock. Premium actually slows down the burning of the fuel in the cylinder so it expands evenly and doesn't push one side of the piston harder than the other. The Honda engine is designed differently and doesn't need premium. I have come to like not paying 50 cents more a gallon for premium.

2017 Accord Touring Coupe CBP/Black
CH Interior LED
Console Tray
Tint 28% front, 15% rear - Florida legal
WOLO Sonicblast horns
The Following User Says Thank You to pspressart For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
2017 Accord V6 Coupe

Thanks for the input! my only concern was if it were going to hurt the car by putting 91 fuel... im a V-power fan, and my big issue is the ethanol factor when filling up regular. It's a peace of mind to me by filling up premium, as there is no ethanol
post #9 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 12:05 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Just read the post again and realized you are from Ontario.

In BC, I used to get gas at Chevron because you can get Save On Points(Save On is a BC supermarket chain for anyone who doesn't know), but I stopped going there once I realized all of their grades except for the 94(which is a bit of an overkill) are ethanol-stained. I recently went back to Chevron in my Corolla, which I am just feeding with regular gas, and found out that they stopped giving you Save On Points. Shame.

I also like to get Shell gas, even though it's a bit of out of the way at where I live. My dad used to go to Shell and Esso only when he had his Land Rover, so I just go to Shell now.

Ethanol is bad stuff, especially in the BC rainter.

Again, 87 is fine, but if you hate ethanol like me, I don't think 91 will hurt anything. Some of the Honda V6s are used in Acura cars as well, and Acura cars often require you to use premium, so I think Honda V6s can work with premium. If you want to unleash its full potential, you can always just tune your car to work with premium if that's your thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to UnknownJinX For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 02:26 PM
4th Gear

I asked the same question due to the RDX premium requirement with the same engine.

'17 EX-L V6 Sedan Lunar Silver Met/Black
'16 RDX Advance AWD Slate Silver/Black
post #11 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 04:16 PM
10th Gear

Try using premium fuel for 30 days, and report back if you think you noticed any performance, mileage, et cetera improvements.

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM
post #12 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 04:20 PM
6th Gear

87 is fine. I wish we could get gas w/o ethanol here.
Blackheart likes this.

2008 Coupe V6
post #13 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 05:03 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspressart View Post
The BMWs I owned recommended premium so the engines wouldn't knock. Premium actually slows down the burning of the fuel in the cylinder so it expands evenly and doesn't push one side of the piston harder than the other. The Honda engine is designed differently and doesn't need premium. I have come to like not paying 50 cents more a gallon for premium.
NO, NO, and NO. This is a myth.

Octane doesn't even measure what it originally was meant to measure: the % of Octane molecules in the fuel. NOW, Octane is a rating, not an expression of the % of Octane molecules in the fuel.

The ONLY thing a higher octane rating describes is RESISTANCE to premature ignition. Neither is octane rating a statement of quality. There are GOOD quality high octane-rated fuels, POOR quality high octane-rated fuels, as well a GOOD quality regular octane-rated fuels, and POOR quality regular octane-rated fuels. There is no greater BTU content for higher octane-rated gas, nor for regular octane-rated gas. Octane rating does NOT describe the speed of ignition either....that's another myth.

The higher the compression ratio of a naturally-aspirated engine (that is NOT a Direct-Injection engine, DI engines can get by with a slightly lower octane-rating per compression-ratio value), the more likely it is that it requires a greater resistance to premature ignition. Therefore, the higher-compression BMW engines often require a higher octane-rated fuel. Turbo and Super-charged engines oftentimes require higher octane-rated fuels because they essentially increase the compression ratio by squeezing in more air/gas into the combustion chamber.
Baldeagle and Rygrego like this.

"Synthetic" is not a literal definition of a laboratory-created base lubricant, it has been a marketing term since the Castrol Mobil-1 lawsuit in the 1990's.
post #14 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 05:06 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
Try using premium fuel for 30 days, and report back if you think you noticed any performance, mileage, et cetera improvements.
That report would be useless information.

What people think they experience and what is actually happening are too often not correlated. It takes sophisticated measuring systems to determine what, if any, differences there are in performance and/or efficiency...and the two are not necessarily related.
UnknownJinX and Rygrego like this.

"Synthetic" is not a literal definition of a laboratory-created base lubricant, it has been a marketing term since the Castrol Mobil-1 lawsuit in the 1990's.
post #15 of 47 Old 04-09-2017, 05:20 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
It takes sophisticated measuring systems to determine what, if any, differences there are in performance and/or efficiency...and the two are not necessarily related.
Agree 100% with that. People who think their butt-dyno is accurate are fooling themselves. Unless you can measure it objectively, you aren't learning anything.
Rygrego likes this.

2017 Touring V6 Sedan Obsidian Blue Pearl - My 12th Honda
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.