Window tint removal.. will I damage defroster lines? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
  • 1 Post By CheezyPoofs
  • 1 Post By VFR4Lee
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-25-2016, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Window tint removal.. will I damage defroster lines?

I recently bought a 2010 Accord coupe. The rear window tint is very dark and blurry. Most shops I have contacted want to charge at least $100 for removal, and mention that there is a risk of damaging defroster lines.

I am considering doing the procedure myself with ammonia or heat gun.

Should I be concerned? This is a Honda.. not a Ford. Am I really going to damage the defroster lines?
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-25-2016, 12:01 PM
Carpe Diem

The defroster lines are made from very thin metal and are very easy to damage when removing the tint. You can repair the lines yourself with a kit though if you wanted to try removing it yourself. No worth the trouble in my opinion.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-25-2016, 01:31 PM
6th Gear

If you do try and remove tint, use Saran wrap, and a water spray bottle.
Soak the window, cover it with food wrap and let it sit and soften.
It makes it much easier.
versedispersed likes this.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-25-2016, 04:50 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to vasekvi Send a message via Yahoo to vasekvi
$100 is worth it to pay someone to do it

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

My 2003 SSM Sedan Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-25-2016, 05:25 PM
6th Gear

Removing the tint on the door windows on my car they just took a razor blade and made a small cut to get started, then peeled it off by hand. Cleaned up residual glue with a razor blade and water spray bottle. Really easy. Not sure how much diff the lines make.
versedispersed likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-28-2016, 04:29 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR4Lee View Post
Removing the tint on the door windows on my car they just took a razor blade and made a small cut to get started, then peeled it off by hand. Cleaned up residual glue with a razor blade and water spray bottle. Really easy. Not sure how much diff the lines make.

Yes, you have to be careful on the defroster. I would be very gentle, and not get near it with a blade.

Hey VFR4Lee, I remember you from VFRDiscussion.
I was RedRocket back when I had my VFR.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-28-2016, 04:50 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezyPoofs View Post
Yes, you have to be careful on the defroster. I would be very gentle, and not get near it with a blade.

Hey VFR4Lee, I remember you from VFRDiscussion.
I was RedRocket back when I had my VFR.
I still have mine. It's a '98 and over 80,000 miles. Had valve inspection, no adjustment required, all in spec.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-29-2016, 02:19 AM
4th Gear

I agree, it's better to pay someone to remove it. The rear defroster is delicate. Tint shop professionals will do it right. Do not try it.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-29-2016, 02:57 AM
4th Gear

Garage
I agree with the above poster with the addition of some information. Whomever you choose to do the tint removal, make sure the shop is reputable and/or has credibility to its work in tint removal.

Had a shop do some tint work on my 90 Celica and they did not mention to me that they allowed the new guy to do the job. Needless to say, he damaged one of the rear defroster wires and screwed that up.

I made the shop pay for a new rear window and they had to refund me my money for the initial tint job cost. Avoid yourself the headache and make sure the one doing the job knows what they're doing.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-29-2016, 02:10 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR4Lee View Post
I still have mine. It's a '98 and over 80,000 miles. Had valve inspection, no adjustment required, all in spec.

I sold my 02 with over 60,000 on it.
Have a CB1000 BIG ONE now. Not nearly as good as the VFR.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-10-2016, 09:49 PM
6th Gear

I purchased my first Accord from Carmax. Forgot all the details, but I had to take it back to have them do some touch up work under warranty. They ended up taking a piece of tint out, which they then had to replace. It looked great after the replacement... but the radio antenna wires, along with the defroster, went through the window.

They went through everything they could before finally replacing the rear window.

My next car I bought had some bubbling in the rear tint. I called a shop and asked about it, and even asked what happens if they damage the wires. They quickly responded that they'll replace the window... that's what insurance is for.

Look for a place like that. $100 is worth it compared to what a new replacement glass will cost.

2006 Accord EX-L Navi 5MT, Graphite Pearl
2006 Accord EX sedan 5AT, Taffeta White - RIP
post #12 of 12 Old 08-16-2016, 11:06 AM
My First Post

I used to tint cars for a living. You can't always trust that they will do the right thing. Most times it all depends on the quality of the tint that was on before. If it was a real low quality tint, they are going to have issues taking it off because it will most likely come off in small pieces. So then most will try to either soak it like mentioned before, or use a steamer. But like I said sometimes the film was just absolute crap and even the different methods won't work. So they will just end up scraping it off with a razor blade. Once they do that the defroster will be almost useless.

I would talk to various tint shops and see how they do things. Some are better than others. I would pay the $100. It's not bad price considering the work that will have to go into the removal. I would have charged double
Advertisement

Tags
damage, defroster, tint, window tint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.