Honda Accord vs. BMW 3 Series - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
48Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Honda Accord vs. BMW 3 Series

Two years ago when I bought my third Accord, I also looked at BMW, MB, Volvo, Nissan, Subaru, VW, Mini Cooper, and a few others. During my research, I lurked around a few BMW boards (and to this day I still do) and the other day I came across an interesting thread comparing the Accord and the 3-series.

You'll find a fair number of comments in here about how the Accord is just an "appliance" and about as exciting to drive as making toast but I was surprised by how many positive comments there were about the car. Lots of comments that it's the "Japanese version of the 3-series" or the "3-series for people on a budget"...or "it's 75% of what a BMW is but $20K less".

A lot of people even said what a great deal an Accord is (especially an EX-L or Touring) because of all the features that come standard (features that would cost thousands more on a BMW as part of an options package)...some people sounded outright envious and even said if their budget were $30K max the Accord would be near or at the top of their list. Comparing the cheapest 3-series (a 320 at $32K) to an EX-L or Touring, many people said hands down they would go with an Accord simply because the 320 lacked so many features that were standard on the Accord. The vast majority said the interior of the Accord was very impressive, too.

It's a little long (7 pages) but it made me think maybe (maybe) I made the right choice by going with an Accord over a 328xi.

Current: 2013 EX-L CVT Accord Sedan
Alabaster Silver Metallic with Gray Leather

Previous: 2003 LX Accord Sedan 5-Speed AT, 1996 DX Accord Sedan 5-Speed MT
The Following User Says Thank You to steve88 For This Useful Post:
ltxi (02-16-2016)
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 05:57 PM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
A BMW is comfortable and OK as long as it's new, but after a while, it will cost more to maintain than an Accord.
soulchild and have2ride like this.

2005 Honda Accord V6 - 179k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #3 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

"In some ways, the 3-series feels like an expensive Accord, which feels like an economy 3-series. Which is exactly what has ensured both such long tenures on our 10Best list."

2013 Accord EX Coupe I4 6MT - Crystal Black Pearl
-35% tint
-Aries 3D Floormats
-ExLED Custom Interior LEDs
-TRS Marimoto 5k HID
-CHH Factory Horn Upgrade
-OEM Leather Steering Wheel
post #4 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta88 View Post
A BMW is comfortable and OK as long as it's new, but after a while, it will cost more to maintain than an Accord.
Yup, that was one of the areas where the Accord won out over the BMW...long-term maintenance and repair costs.

post #5 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 06:54 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,004 Times in 758 Posts
BMW 3 anything is an overpriced maintenance whore.
johnjohn15, salcuta, jeb and 3 others like this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqman View Post
"In some ways, the 3-series feels like an expensive Accord, which feels like an economy 3-series. Which is exactly what has ensured both such long tenures on our 10Best list."

Yup, the Accord has been on C&D's 10 Best List a record 30 times...that's more than any other car that's ever made that list (even a 3-series BMW...I think they've made it 22 times).

post #7 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 06:55 PM
3rd Gear

The accord is a great value and doesn't pretend to be a drivers car-it isn't. A bmw is absolutely a drivers car. Two different types of cars.
Baldeagle, nayr14 and Unclebuck like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zx12-iowa For This Useful Post:
1accord (02-16-2016)
post #8 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 07:12 PM
4th Gear

I was in going into a 335i, but couldn't do it. The Accord just make more sense.
Accord won= interior room, cost of ownership, ride, NA engine
BMW's are great cars when they don't need anything - which is sometimes short-lived.

BMWs are expensive to keep.
soulchild likes this.

Tom / Chicago
'15 Coupe, EX-L, V6A in MSM
'91 CRX Si, 114k - sold
'83 Supra, 110k - sold
pic thread:

'
post #9 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 07:28 PM
Out of Control

The last great BMW was the 1968 2002. It was a two door coupe with a two liter I4, 4 speed manual transmission, it had four wheel independent suspension and great handling at a midsize car price. As BMWs have grown larger and more sophisticated over the years the price along with the cost of ownership has skyrocketed based on the myth of German superior engineering along with snob appeal.

A three series BMW is a four door six cylinder rear wheel drive Accord. If you like rear wheel drive cars and buy into the myth it's your money.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #10 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 07:32 PM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
A friend of mine bought a used BMW M3. It ran fine for a little bit then it started giving him problems after problems.

He got rid of it and bought another BMW twin turbo, 2013 or so. Turbo blown twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
Yup, that was one of the areas where the Accord won out over the BMW...long-term maintenance and repair costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
BMW 3 anything is an overpriced maintenance whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zx12-iowa View Post
The accord is a great value and doesn't pretend to be a drivers car-it isn't. A bmw is absolutely a drivers car. Two different types of cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexgo View Post
I was in going into a 335i, but couldn't do it. The Accord just make more sense.
Accord won= interior room, cost of ownership, ride, NA engine
BMW's are great cars when they don't need anything - which is sometimes short-lived.

BMWs are expensive to keep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
The last great BMW was the 1968 2002. It was a two door coupe with a two liter I4, 4 speed manual transmission, it had four wheel independent suspension and great handling at a midsize car price. As BMWs have grown larger and more sophisticated over the years the price along with the cost of ownership has skyrocketed based on the myth of German superior engineering along with snob appeal.

A three series BMW is a four door six cylinder rear wheel drive Accord. If you like rear wheel drive cars and buy into the myth it's your money.

Here ya go peeps. Check out the list and where the German manufacturers fall. Then check out Honda. German forums can suck it up! Y'all are welcome.

have2ride likes this.

2005 Honda Accord V6 - 179k

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma

Last edited by namegoeshere; 02-19-2016 at 07:41 AM.
post #11 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 08:55 PM
Blinded by the light

Apples vs. oranges...
soulchild likes this.

2013 Accord Coupe V6
-

-

-

-

-

-

2013 Triumph Street Triple
-Doesn't need any mods...
post #12 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 09:00 PM
port & polish everything

There have been articles of favorite cars of wealthy zip codes and the list is basically half BMW/MB and half Toyota/Honda.

2003 LX eternal blue sedan - tsx intake manifold, dc sports header, fujita cold air intake, hondata and p2r heatshields, tls rear sway bar, 6mt strut bar, brembo rotors
2007 SE cool blue sedan - p2r heatshield, k&n drop in, no resonator
2010 LX-S belize blue coupe - bored throttle body, ported runners, hps silicone intake, aem drop in, tsx rear sway bar, ktuner.com
post #13 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 10:09 PM
4th Gear

Ya know - even if this is apples and oranges sort of comparison - I have got to mention one thing for people living in the northeast...well really anywhere that gets snow.

You can have a RWD and be stuck at home or in a ditch or be really super talented and spend gobs of money on snow tires / tire chains.

Or....have a FWD Accord with a low-stall torque converter that does phenomenal in heavy snow.

I was out this morning after it dumped 8 inches of snow last night. Driving on crappy roads with lots of snow just takes time and patience and common sense (and good tires). I would never had gotten out with any RWD vehicle in this mess. I also would never have made it up the decent incline that is my driveway without the Honda.

You hope it doesn't happen often, but if there is inclement weather involved, I would MUCH rather be in the Accord.
post #14 of 110 Old 02-15-2016, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

My brother has a 3 series and it is an absolute nightmare to maintain. It is always in the shop because of an oil leak or electrical issue. My accord runs like clockwork with only changes and regular maintenance with over 50,000 miles.
post #15 of 110 Old 02-16-2016, 01:28 AM
3rd Gear

Again, BMW 3-series is much smaller than Accord in size. Accord should be compared to BMW 5-series. I drove a few 3-series BMW's, I did not feel any of that "amazing" handling, interior is so dark and boring. I don't know why anyone would spend so much money on a BMW. The only BMW with a good interior is a new 7-series, they finally did a good job there. Otherwise, Mercedes interior is just so much better out of all German cars.

Current:
2016 Scion iM 6MT

Past:
2016 Honda Accord EX 6MT
2014 Acura RDX Tech AWD
2014 Acura TSX Tech
2007 Honda Accord SE
2004 Honda Element EX
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.