Paint job cost? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Paint job cost?

I have a 2004 Cord EX Manual. My paint is peeling on the hood, roof and a little on the trunk. Hondas seem to be notorious for this. Just curious. How much was your paint job and how do you go about finding a good paint shop? Basically I don't know what a good paint job should cost. My honda is black and I wanna repaint it black. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-22-2016, 08:17 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusGaHonda View Post
I have a 2004 Cord EX Manual. My paint is peeling on the hood, roof and a little on the trunk. Hondas seem to be notorious for this. Just curious. How much was your paint job and how do you go about finding a good paint shop? Basically I don't know what a good paint job should cost. My honda is black and I wanna repaint it black. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Call your insurance company and see if they have any recommended shops in your area. The only verified shop in my city is actually the best bang for your buck in about 25 miles.

Current vehicle:
2014 Honda Accord LX 6MT 103K
easy mods and changes:
*55W HID lowbeam 5000K (Innovited upgrade kit)
*LasFit 9005 HB3 highbeam / DRL 6500k
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net
*All weather floor mats from College Hills Honda
*Gutter Guards behind lower grille

Previous vehicles:
2001 Chevy Prizm 3AT (given away, it was a terrible car...)
1995 Honda Accord DX 5MT (wrecked at 240K)
1989 Honda Civic LX 4AT (wrecked at 180K)
1988 GMC Sierra 1500 5MT (sold at 80K)
The Following User Says Thank You to easymike For This Useful Post:
ColumbusGaHonda (01-22-2016)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-22-2016, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I didn't think about checking with my insurance agent for a recommendation. thanks for the tip!
post #4 of 7 Old 01-22-2016, 09:05 AM

A good quality paint job will run you around $3000 or more. If there is an area in your town that has a lot of body shops that fixes and sells crashed cars you can get a cheap paint job but you kinda get what you pay for. I had a car painted for $1000 a few years ago. I didn't want perfection so going that route was good for me.

Then there's always MAACO...

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #5 of 7 Old 01-22-2016, 09:47 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
The Maaco shops are independently owned and operated. A friend of mine manages one here in Chicago. It is EXTREMELY well managed, and he has Yelp! and Google reviews that reflect that.

That Maaco shop repainted my Sis-in-Law's 1990 Miata and rear of my 1991 240sx.

They currently have a $299 special going for the most basic paint job.

75% of Maaco paint jobs I see are terrible- not worth even $300. 20% are "you get what you pay for", then 5% are worth way more than what was paid....
post #6 of 7 Old 01-22-2016, 11:03 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
You can get a car coated in a liquid wrap for about $500-700 or so from a professional installer; you've probably heard of Plasti-Dip. There's a few different brands of liquid wrap (DYC Plasti-Dip, Cerberus Coatings, Raail/Protek, etc.) and they have their own strengths and weaknesses. There are shops all over the place, and it takes much less turnaround time to get a car done versus a full paint job. You could also DIY like I did on my Accord, but if you want a really professional job, that most people would mistake for an OEM paint job, you should go with the pro route. The new gloss/clear coat technology they've released seriously looks like OEM clear. It's neat. You can look up "halo true gloss" and see some examples of how shiny it is.

Not only is it cheaper and faster than a regular paint job, but it is also easily removable for any reason you want/need to take it off for, and acts as a protectant on the OEM paint underneath (protects against scratches and dings to a degree, stops sun damage, etc.). So if your car got damaged you could take it back and have just that panel re-sprayed instead of having to get it repainted or buy a new part with regular paint already on it, which is more expensive than a primed one.

You can also easily change the color, finish or style because you can just take it off and get it re-done. For the cost of a pro regular paint job, you could get your car dipped two or three times, spanned out over the 3 year removability guideline you've got nine years of removable, customization-friendly paint jobs.

This is just my two cents, if you're not into the dipping idea I'd suggest going to a pro paint shop and not going the cheap route. If you're gonna spend that kind of money on paint, you won't want to have to spend that much again or more if something goes wrong with it. I DIY dipped my car because my car is old, a regular, expensive paint job won't add to her value and I'd rather spend that kind of money keeping her running, as I was advised on here by a few people. I'm glad I listened and just did it myself, haha; half the cost of a pro dip and we had fun doing it! If/when I get my Camaro though, I'm having DipOne in NJ dip it for me.

Or you know, Rustoleum works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #7 of 7 Old 01-22-2016, 01:02 PM
Out of Control

The prep work is the hardest part of a paint job. Even if no body work is required properly removing all exterior pieces and sanding down the paint to metal is time consuming. If you cut corners there the paint will never look perfect. Also there are different grades of primer, paint and clear. The higher quality stuff costs more, looks better and lasts longer. Some body shops use low quality paint to lower their prices. As you shop around for body shops ask what supplies they use.

Here’s another thought. The car is 12 years old and not worth that much anymore. An A+ paint job may not be worth the money. You’ll never get that value back when you sell it. A “good” paint job, and perhaps just the hood, roof and trunk may be all you need.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.