Has Honda built an ugly Accord? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 10-11-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Has Honda built an ugly Accord?

How does an automobile company build an ugly car? Not just ugly in appearance but ugly to drive and to live with. Here's an article about how GM built and sold a really ugly car the Pontiac Aztek.

Has Honda built and sold an ugly Accord, or any car?

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Elvira - the car

not a one of the Aztek's was every stolen either.

There are some things even a thief won't boost and get caught in.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
The Following User Says Thank You to Miker For This Useful Post:
jericho40 (10-19-2014)
post #3 of 32 Old 10-11-2014, 02:01 PM
4th Gear

Honda's first gen Insight.

2013 V6 Accord Coupe EX-L Auto without Nav.
post #4 of 32 Old 10-11-2014, 11:32 PM
2nd Gear

The 2003-2007 Accord was easily the ugliest Honda ever, and one of the more ugly cars on the road during the last decade, the 2006-07 tail light revision made it "acceptable" but good god was that car hideous.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soloist For This Useful Post:
jericho40 (10-18-2014), johnjohn15 (10-12-2014), Tawnydog (11-08-2014)
post #5 of 32 Old 10-12-2014, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist View Post
The 2003-2007 Accord was easily the ugliest Honda ever, and one of the more ugly cars on the road during the last decade, the 2006-07 tail light revision made it "acceptable" but good god was that car hideous.
I disagree. The coupe was gorgeous with a smooth round aerodynamic shape. The Sedan was not as well thought out. Do you think it was designed by a committee and brought to market with overwhelmingly negative marketing focus group opinions?

Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
The Following User Says Thank You to Flyboy For This Useful Post:
oldmansi (11-24-2014)
post #6 of 32 Old 10-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Now that's hilarious... You really think the 8th gen looks better? What about the flop 2012 Civics that they emergency refreshed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
I disagree. The coupe was gorgeous with a smooth round aerodynamic shape. The Sedan was not as well thought out. Do you think it was designed by a committee and brought to market with overwhelmingly negative marketing focus group opinions?
Can you point to a particular part of the sedan? It's a very modest design, I just don't see how the 7th generation could be anything but "meh" at its worst? The only thing I didn't care for was the 7th gen taillights but the 7.5th gen entire rear end is much more stylish...

Mike

2006 Accord EX-L K24 5MT ASM -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan Flat Roof 3MT -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Wife's
2008 Hyundai Sonata SE V6
2012 Tacoma TRD Sport CCSB 1GR 6MT 4WD MGM
2011 Civic Si K20 6MT CBP
2001 Pathfinder SE VQ35 5MT SB
2006 Excursion Limited V10 4WD 4AT
1997 Pathfinder SE VG33 5AT
1999 ML320 5AT
1996 Accord LX F22 4AT
The Following User Says Thank You to cintocrunch For This Useful Post:
carguy1234 (10-13-2014)
post #7 of 32 Old 10-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Four Doors/Three Pedals

Quote:
I owned a 7th generation Accord and I liked the looks a lot and so did a lot of other people, who gave me many compliments when it was new.

Also, there are a ton of them on the road here still, so there must be very many people who like the looks.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I think you are in the minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGzCoupe View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't think that the Insight is an Accord.

2013 Honda Accord EX 2.4L 6MT MSM
OEM Splash Guards
OEM Door Visors
OEM Moonroof Visor
FormFit Hood Air Deflector
Horn Upgrade
Pilot Genuine Black Leather Steering Wheel Cover
K&N 33-2498
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
--
├┼┼╕
246R
post #8 of 32 Old 10-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Four Doors/Three Pedals

Double post

2013 Honda Accord EX 2.4L 6MT MSM
OEM Splash Guards
OEM Door Visors
OEM Moonroof Visor
FormFit Hood Air Deflector
Horn Upgrade
Pilot Genuine Black Leather Steering Wheel Cover
K&N 33-2498
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
--
├┼┼╕
246R
post #9 of 32 Old 10-12-2014, 12:30 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Now thats funny...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
you are in the minority
+1

The 8G looks too plain. Like it should've been a Toyota design. Not that there's anything wrong with Toyota, as I like them just as much as I do Honda, but appearance wise the 7G is a better, sexier design
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mc1114 For This Useful Post:
johnjohn15 (10-12-2014), oldmansi (11-24-2014)
post #10 of 32 Old 10-12-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGzCoupe View Post

I liked the first generation Insight. It was a two seat proof of concept of the hybrid that they made into a production car. I don't know how many they sold.

post #11 of 32 Old 10-12-2014, 02:47 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I owned a 7th generation Accord and I liked the looks a lot and so did a lot of other people, who gave me many compliments when it was new.

Also, there are a ton of them on the road here still, so there must be very many people who like the looks.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I think you are in the minority.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that the Insight is an Accord.
I know. But since I don't think Honda has ever made an ugly Accord...someone mentioned Aztek...so I decided to play along and mention a different car.

2013 V6 Accord Coupe EX-L Auto without Nav.
post #12 of 32 Old 10-12-2014, 07:07 PM
3rd Gear

This might be a touchy subject (owners of a particular generation of Accord may be a little butt-hurt if their car is deemed "ugly.")...as owner of an 8th gen, I've garnered a thick skin as one can imagine (the fattest of the Accords), but I think that the 8th gen has exactly what I want in an Accord (sharp lines...9th gen is softer, somewhat aggressive yet classy appearance, size to accommodate my large 6'3" 240lbs frame). I don't care for the early 7th generation ('06/7 look great though). To each his/her own...truthfully, I don't think Honda has made an ugly Accord.

Regarding other models, I honestly think the new Civic coupe is hideous. The proportions are...weird, and the front is overly stylized...it looks as though Honda is continually revising the exact same car (imagine that) by adding what they consider "pizazz." Ugh...wtf. The Civic needs a complete overhaul in a bad way IMO...the current car is great mechanically, but good Lord what more can be done to that mess?! Honda: please don't answer that.

JB

2012 Honda Accord EX 2.4L 5MT (Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory)
post #13 of 32 Old 10-13-2014, 01:27 AM
2nd Gear

I OWN the 7.5G Accord V6 Coupe 6MT, while it isn't a complete eye sore like the sedan, it looks god awful for a Honda. Aesthetics are subjective but, no one has ever commented that my G2 Legend Coupe (91-95), or 6th Gen Accord Coupe (98-02) were anything short of beautiful. In contrast, I have NEVER had anyone even care to ask what my 2006 Accord was, and I completely understand as the design is so banal, so vapid, that it provokes no response. I guess I am used to having an attractive car and apparently have a good eye for owning what are commonly known as "classically styled" cars...well save for my 2006 (but the 2006 was a reluctant purchase made out of a lack of finances required to obtain the 2013 model).

I can't stand looking at my 2006, I LOVE driving it but hate looking at it. It looks like someone tried to style a Lever 2000 soapbar by adding some Ford Focus headlights (from the 2001 model), it's a haphazard melange of shitty designs that takes no cues from the success of any previous models (unless you count the Ford Focus).

Notice how NO features of the 7th gen were incorporated into the new body style and NO other Honda bears any resemblance to it? It's because the 7G was not well received. You can see that Honda obviously cared to keep the styling of the Legend and Legend coupe around as many succeeding Honda models kept some of its features, similarly with some of the Civic's (like the 92), and of course the Accord's, especially from 1991-2002. It's obvious to see that Honda thought the 8G was "close" to a winning design and further refined and incorporated many of the same features into the 9G, this is evidence that they knew they were on the right track, the antithesis of what happened with the 7G.

I will admit that my 7.5G Accord looks better than most makes, but for a Honda, it is in a league of its own in terms of unattractiveness. It definitely is one of those cars that blends into the background EASILY, and when you walk away from it, there is NO instinct to take a look back at it to appreciate its aesthetic appeal, because it simply does not have much aesthetic appeal. I can say that it is one of the most fun cars I have owned, I love the interior, I love everything about it, but the exterior. That being said, the sedan is much, much worse, that C pillar is especially offensive to the eyes, what were they thinking?
post #14 of 32 Old 10-13-2014, 05:01 AM
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
I OWN the 7.5G Accord V6 Coupe 6MT, while it isn't a complete eye sore like the sedan, it looks god awful for a Honda. Aesthetics are subjective but, no one has ever commented that my G2 Legend Coupe (91-95), or 6th Gen Accord Coupe (98-02) were anything short of beautiful. In contrast, I have NEVER had anyone even care to ask what my 2006 Accord was, and I completely understand as the design is so banal, so vapid, that it provokes no response. I guess I am used to having an attractive car and apparently have a good eye for owning what are commonly known as "classically styled" cars...well save for my 2006 (but the 2006 was a reluctant purchase made out of a lack of finances required to obtain the 2013 model).

I can't stand looking at my 2006, I LOVE driving it but hate looking at it. It looks like someone tried to style a Lever 2000 soapbar by adding some Ford Focus headlights (from the 2001 model), it's a haphazard melange of shitty designs that takes no cues from the success of any previous models (unless you count the Ford Focus).

Notice how NO features of the 7th gen were incorporated into the new body style and NO other Honda bears any resemblance to it? It's because the 7G was not well received. You can see that Honda obviously cared to keep the styling of the Legend and Legend coupe around as many succeeding Honda models kept some of its features, similarly with some of the Civic's (like the 92), and of course the Accord's, especially from 1991-2002. It's obvious to see that Honda thought the 8G was "close" to a winning design and further refined and incorporated many of the same features into the 9G, this is evidence that they knew they were on the right track, the antithesis of what happened with the 7G.

I will admit that my 7.5G Accord looks better than most makes, but for a Honda, it is in a league of its own in terms of unattractiveness. It definitely is one of those cars that blends into the background EASILY, and when you walk away from it, there is NO instinct to take a look back at it to appreciate its aesthetic appeal, because it simply does not have much aesthetic appeal. I can say that it is one of the most fun cars I have owned, I love the interior, I love everything about it, but the exterior. That being said, the sedan is much, much worse, that C pillar is especially offensive to the eyes, what were they thinking?
I honestly think the 7.5 gen is one of the most beautifully styled Accord sedans, behind the 5.5th gen. I think you've made a lot of false assumptions and fabricated facts to try and corroborate your opinion when in the end, it is simply your opinion and there is no evidence to support a subjective decision like this for you or me.

Mike

2006 Accord EX-L K24 5MT ASM -

1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan Flat Roof 3MT -

2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Wife's
2008 Hyundai Sonata SE V6
2012 Tacoma TRD Sport CCSB 1GR 6MT 4WD MGM
2011 Civic Si K20 6MT CBP
2001 Pathfinder SE VQ35 5MT SB
2006 Excursion Limited V10 4WD 4AT
1997 Pathfinder SE VG33 5AT
1999 ML320 5AT
1996 Accord LX F22 4AT
post #15 of 32 Old 10-13-2014, 05:35 AM
5th Gear

Of all the Accord I've had, 3rd,5th,6th,7th 8th and 9th gens I think my least favorite was the 8th gen sedan. I just couldn't get attached to that one, but it could have also been the color choice. I don't know what the heck I was thinking when I picked light blue! Which brings me to my next point, I think I've seen more "ugly" color choices than I have "ugly' Accord designs.

2007 EX-L
2016 Tundra SR5 DC
2017 EX-L V6
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.