Honda Battery Life? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 102 Old 12-01-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Honda Battery Life?

I have a 2005 Accord V6 automatic, has just ovr 60,000 miles and the battery went dead after only 20 minutes on flasher yesterday?
I am used to 5 years or more on battery life.

Please let me know what your expierence has been wiht the Honda - Battery.

I checked the battery after getting a jump start, water level was a little low, but not enough to cause a "dead battery"?
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

3 years and kaput with mine.
post #3 of 102 Old 12-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Out of Control

Honda's typical small battery and minimal charging system. Our 05 Accord and the X 06 Civic are just like yours.

We went to fill up the Accord a few weeks ago. The wife rolled the key back on to log the miles and didn't turn the car back off. When I got into drive on the battery was dead. The A/C blower and inside lights killed it in 10 mins or so. Jumped it and went on. Had the battery checked in a few days. No dead cells or bridged cells. Just Honda's way of doing things.

I can leave the stereo going for 2 hours or more in the Mazda3 with it driving a small sub. And no problems starting it. Leave a hOnda with any electrical draw on it and the motor not running and you have a dead Honda. They have always been wankers when it comes to OEM batterys and sizing of said battery's.

09 HCHII,w/Navi,I4,CVT Crap,Atomic Blue/Beige,70k Miles (Dull/MPG/Quite Civic)
07 Mazda3 S Touring,I4,5MT,Purple/Charcoal,80k Miles (Civic What?)
00 Ranger Ext,XLT,I4,5MT,White/Gray,200k Miles (Thinks it's a F-150)

X, 05 Accord EX Sedan,I4,5AT,Red/Gray,89k Miles (My Fav. Accord Gen)
X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!
post #4 of 102 Old 12-01-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
Honda's typical small battery and minimal charging system. Our 05 Accord and the X 06 Civic are just like yours.

We went to fill up the Accord a few weeks ago. The wife rolled the key back on to log the miles and didn't turn the car back off. When I got into drive on the battery was dead. The A/C blower and inside lights killed it in 10 mins or so. Jumped it and went on. Had the battery checked in a few days. No dead cells or bridged cells. Just Honda's way of doing things.

I can leave the stereo going for 2 hours or more in the Mazda3 with it driving a small sub. And no problems starting it. Leave a hOnda with any electrical draw on it and the motor not running and you have a dead Honda. They have always been wankers when it comes to OEM batterys and sizing of said battery's.
Bullshit. Plain and simple. You really need to get rid of the Accord.

I have over 100 Honda customer's at my shop that have never had the issues you are constantly harping about.

The '98 got it's first battery just last year. Even with a Delphi alternator failure at 3 years (130k).

I've run my car's audio system for a couple of hours at a time with no problem. I also have a sub powered by an external amp.

Delco batteries can be a problem, I'll admit that. Honda has been buying many of them lately. Most oem delcos, whether they are in a Honda or GM at 3 years, start to be wary.

My Integra GSR had it's original battery when I sold it at nearly 10 years old. Panasonic group 51R, a really TINY battery.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #5 of 102 Old 12-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
They didn't stop using those crap Delcos? They learned with the junk Delphi.....

I would think they could find a better battery supplier? My TL's Delco only lasted a year.
post #6 of 102 Old 12-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
Bullshit. Plain and simple. You really need to get rid of the Accord.

I have over 100 Honda customer's at my shop that have never had the issues you are constantly harping about.

The '98 got it's first battery just last year. Even with a Delphi alternator failure at 3 years (130k).

I've run my car's audio system for a couple of hours at a time with no problem. I also have a sub powered by an external amp.

Delco batteries can be a problem, I'll admit that. Honda has been buying many of them lately. Most oem delcos, whether they are in a Honda or GM at 3 years, start to be wary.

My Integra GSR had it's original battery when I sold it at nearly 10 years old. Panasonic group 51R, a really TINY battery.
Bull Shit my ass Fred....

Lets see our 7th gen Accord, Battery no balls, My Aunts 7th gen Accord no nuts in the battery or charging system. My Civic was the same. My fathers 4th gen Accord is the same. Everybody I know that has a Honda has the same story. Hell my boss's TL same thing. It seems to be Honda's design mantra. And for the record I've never said the battery's were bad. I expect the battery in the wife's Accord will go 5 years or better if its not abused.

A quality battery is a good upgrade in most cars and a must in a Honda. If you read much many folks have questions why the head lights get dim and bright from idle to rev. This was almost evil on the 06 Civic. I wonder why that is Fred? Could it be the charging and elect. systems are sized on the bare minimal side of things. Take a car to a Honda dealer and you get the canned... OOOO thats normal.

Yes my wife needs to dump the Accord. I agree 100%. Its a Japaneses Chevy. Built in America.

X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!
post #7 of 102 Old 12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to WolfpackBill
Mine lasted about the same as yours. I replaced mine a couple of months ago at 61k miles. It was about 2.5 years old. Oh well... I remember our old '90 Accord's battery lasted a good 6 years and my old '96 Explorer's battery lasted close to 90k miles and was replaced at 6 years.

I replaced mine with Costco's Kirkland battery. Good price and good warranty. Hope this one will last.

Billy
'06 Honda Accord EX-L - Carbon Bronze/Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods:
Fog lights, autodimming mirror, USASpec iPod adaptor, LED backup lights, cathode lights in trunk, fog light mod, Inspire taillights, 35% tints, HID retro w/TSX projectors, lip spoiler, TL switchblade key, TL 17mm rear sway, TSX signal mirrors, TL rims
post #8 of 102 Old 12-01-2008, 06:57 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Hondas didn't always have tiny batterites psyshack.

Both my accords have large, normal sized batteries. It wasn't until Gen 7 that they used the smaller ones.

My 1996 Accord needed a new battery after 8 years and 88k miles. - It was a delco.

The battery I put in my 99 Accord is a Honda OEM battery with a 100 month warranty. I'm interested to see how long it holds up.

The alternator in both my Accords is OEM, and the only Accord we've ever changed one on was my mothers 86 Accord, which was plagued with electrical gremlins.

I don't doubt that they probably don't make them like they used to, though.
post #9 of 102 Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordlover View Post
Hondas didn't always have tiny batterites psyshack.

Both my accords have large, normal sized batteries. It wasn't until Gen 7 that they used the smaller ones.

My 1996 Accord needed a new battery after 8 years and 88k miles. - It was a delco.

The battery I put in my 99 Accord is a Honda OEM battery with a 100 month warranty. I'm interested to see how long it holds up.

The alternator in both my Accords is OEM, and the only Accord we've ever changed one on was my mothers 86 Accord, which was plagued with electrical gremlins.

I don't doubt that they probably don't make them like they used to, though.
In modern Honda's. It would seem the fix is a better battery and a larger one if you can get one in. While a subcontrol regulator is used in Honda's for some time now as chatted about in another thread.

I was just amazed how fast the battery's would die if used with the engine not running. With the Civic it wasn not a issue. It was a MT and could be push started. The Accord,,, find the jumper cables.

post #10 of 102 Old 12-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Go Black and Gold.

02 Sedan- 4 years
Odyssey- 5 years
02 Coupe- 6 years, 100K
I can't remember the millage of the sedan and Odyssey off the top of my head.

2011 Odyssey EX-L Smoky Topaz Metallic-Mom's
2010 Accord Crosstour EX-L 4WD NAVI White Diamond Pearl-Dad's
2008 Civic LX Coupe Alabaster Silver Metallic-Sister's
2006 Accord EX V6 Sedan Carbon Bronze Pearl-Future BIL's
2003 Accord EX V6 Sedan Desert Mist Metallic-Brother's
2002 Accord EX V6 Coupe San Marino Red-Mine

Gone But Not Forgotten
2002 Accord EX V6 Sedan Nighthawk Black Pearl
2000 Odyssey LX Dark Emerald Pearl
1996 Accord EX-L Sedan Heather Mist
post #11 of 102 Old 12-02-2008, 03:04 AM
Stewie rules.

I believe you have identified the achilles heel of Honda ownership... my Accord was fantastically reliable in all respects but did require a battery replacement under warranty within the first 12 months of ownership, and apx 18 months later the Honda was traded with a VERY weak battery. I had intended to purchase a non-Honda replacement this time around with the most cold-cranking amps I could get, but now I will leave that for the new owner.

2006 Audi A6 3.2Q

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 Accord EX-L sedan Carbon Bronze Pearl
2004 Civic EX Coupe Nighthawk Black
post #12 of 102 Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to kopimon
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
In modern Honda's. It would seem the fix is a better battery and a larger one if you can get one in. While a subcontrol regulator is used in Honda's for some time now as chatted about in another thread.

I was just amazed how fast the battery's would die if used with the engine not running. With the Civic it wasn not a issue. It was a MT and could be push started. The Accord,,, find the jumper cables.
Isn't it inadvisable to kick start modern cars because of the complex electronics?

«
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
»

19" HFP Wheels ¤ Tein SS Coils ¤ Retro Solutions 55W 5000K low beam HID & 35W 3000K fog HID ¤ 3M clear bra ¤ 3M tints (50/50/35) ¤

post #13 of 102 Old 12-02-2008, 08:47 AM
5th Gear

My Accord's original battery went in summer 2007, when the car was 4 years old. I wasn't upset about that.........

2003 Accord I-4 Auto Electric Blue
2006 Ody EXL with RES, Navi, OEM Fog Lights, OEM towing package, 3M clear bra, air deflector package, OEM mud flaps, Mr.Grille

Favorite Previous Rides"

1985 Nissan 200 SX Turbo
1970 Chevelle SS (396)
1967 Chevell SS convertible (396 HO)
1962 Pontiac Catalina (with a 389)
post #14 of 102 Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 AM
3rd Gear

heat kills batteries...living in Arizona, best I've gotten is about 1.5 years out of the OE battery...I don't understand why everybody else living in more moderate climates aren't getting lifetime...

2006 Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black Honda Accord EX-L Coupe
post #15 of 102 Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopimon View Post
Isn't it inadvisable to kick start modern cars because of the complex electronics?
Nope. Not a problem, but there are some systems that might not start up due to low voltage.

When my battery in the TL decided to die, I push started the car (b/c I won't own a car that isn't an MT) and it started just fine. I had to drive 150+ miles with just fog lights up front b/c the damn HIDS wouldn't fire due to low voltage.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.