Reliability of I4 vs. V6? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-01-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Reliability of I4 vs. V6?

I'm currently looking at picking up a leftover 7th gen 2007 Accord sedan with a manual transmission, looking at both 4 cylinder 5MT's and the V6 6MT. I'm new to the Honda world, but my understanding is that both of these engines are pretty reliable. Is there a strong advantage in terms of long term reliability or durability of one vs. the other? Thanks for your thoughts.
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-01-2008, 11:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to edwilson13185 Send a message via MSN to edwilson13185
Both engines have proven track records of being very reliable. The V6 does have a timing belt which needs to be changed periodically (I believe around 100,000 miles). The four-cylinder has a timing chain that doesn't have to be changed. The four-cylinder will also get better gas mileage than the V6, particularly if you do a lot of city driving.

You will get a reliable car either way, but the four-cylinder will have lower operating costs in the long run.

-Ed
2005 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4 5AT coupe
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4 5AT sedan
post #3 of 20 Old 03-01-2008, 11:54 PM
5th Gear

Send a message via AIM to alpha
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwilson13185 View Post
The four-cylinder has a timing chain that doesn't have to be changed.
You still need to keep an eye on it. It's not maintenance free.

Timing belts and timing chains have their pluses and minuses.

- Mark

2006 Honda Accord EX-V6 6MT Navi Sedan
Carbon Bronze Pearl/Black
post #4 of 20 Old 03-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Ashley & Derrick

Both engines are top notch for both reliability and durability. The other members already pointed out the difference in routine maintenance. Like the above post states the only downside to the V6 is the downfall of the 6-speed tranny in the V6's. I think the main thing I heard is 3rd gear sticking which is also the problem for the TL's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-02-2008, 11:00 AM

Both are pretty solid engines, though there are some reports of the V6 6MT having issues getting into 3rd gear.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-02-2008, 10:36 PM
can'tpoop

I have an i4 and I have a little trouble getting into 3rd gear...

2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L i4 Nighthawk Black Pearl manual trans. - 39k miles.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 06:30 AM
anagram of "Drive Accord"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Major View Post
I'm currently looking at picking up a leftover 7th gen 2007 Accord sedan with a manual transmission, looking at both 4 cylinder 5MT's and the V6 6MT. I'm new to the Honda world, but my understanding is that both of these engines are pretty reliable. Is there a strong advantage in terms of long term reliability or durability of one vs. the other? Thanks for your thoughts.
There are many advantages of the i4 vs the V6, and vice versa.. However, on long term reliability and durability, I'd say they are even. They are both mature engines, and the 2007 is a mature platform. Both should be very reliable.

As for timing belts - alpha is right on - there are advantages and disadvantages of both. Would you rather have an engine with 105K miles with a brand new timing belt, or a 105K old timing chain? See, it's not that easy to pick

'03 EX-V6 Sedan, 285K miles, owned since new, original transmission
post #8 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by car divorced View Post
Would you rather have an engine with 105K miles with a brand new timing belt, or a 105K old timing chain? See, it's not that easy to pick
Well, I already have an interference engine with a timing chain with 140k miles and zero degrees of slack (300SD); what worries me is that it's 27 years old.. I'm cool with either one, I'm pretty obsessive about maintenance.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 AM
anagram of "Drive Accord"

Quote:
Well, I already have an interference engine with a timing chain with 140k miles and zero degrees of slack (300SD); what worries me is that it's 27 years old.. I'm cool with either one, I'm pretty obsessive about maintenance.
I drove a 240D from 150K miles to over 300K miles - I know where you are coming from. (though with a measly, but torquetastic, 78 horsepower from my W123 vs the 240 (coincidentally) horsepower from the Accord )

Now is probably a good time to sell a diesel - right at the end of the lull before all the new clean diesels start arriving. The best time to buy a new car with a diesel is probably 3 or 4 years from now, once the new diesels from VW, Honda, and maybe Subaru arrive, and the pricing premium starts to wear off.

In any event, my 2003 Accord V6 reminds me a lot of a 1980's era Mercedes (minus the glow plugs, the Bilsteins, and the brake pads which must have been made out of gold leaf ) in terms of solid build, solid handling, top of the line safety features for its time, and good interior/exterior design. No major problems, no minor problems really -- my only issue is that my brake rotors tend to warp - which is quite common on Accords.

'03 EX-V6 Sedan, 285K miles, owned since new, original transmission
post #10 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by car divorced View Post
Now is probably a good time to sell a diesel - right at the end of the lull before all the new clean diesels start arriving. The best time to buy a new car with a diesel is probably 3 or 4 years from now, once the new diesels from VW, Honda, and maybe Subaru arrive, and the pricing premium starts to wear off..
Excellent observations - I completely agree on both counts, and you're the first person (other than me) that I've heard express that. Getting an Accord is part of the "fleet rationalization" plan in which I'll sell my fully restored 300SD, hopefully for strong dollars to a biodiesel wannabe, as well as my '93 525i 5 speed; the Accord would replace both, probably only for a couple of years until I pick up a TSX or Accord turbodiesel (or maybe a new 335d).

Quote:
In any event, my 2003 Accord V6 reminds me a lot of a 1980's era Mercedes (minus the glow plugs, the Bilsteins, and the brake pads which must have been made out of gold leaf ) in terms of solid build, solid handling, top of the line safety features for its time, and good interior/exterior design. No major problems, no minor problems really -- my only issue is that my brake rotors tend to warp - which is quite common on Accords.
Again, I have to agree with you. It's a (positive) sign of the times that the quality that Mercedes had pretty much exclusively 20-30 years ago is now readily available in a car priced for everyman. It's not that MB got worse, it's that the best of the rest of the automotive world closed the gap. It's similar to the status of BMW motorcycles (my other obsession), where buyers in the 70s and 80s would flock to Boxers because they were the only truly durable, reliable bikes out there for distance work. As the Japanese caught up in durability and surpassed in performance, BMW Motorrad (like Mercedes) has been forced to chart a path of technical innovation to justify the price gap with the Japanese, and both have had significant hits to their reps for reliability as a result - Germans do innovation better than the Japanese, imo, but they don't necessarily do reliable innovation as well.

Thanks for the observations, it's nice to have my instincts confirmed (at least with one other data point )
post #11 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 10:51 AM
5th Gear

I have a friend that has owned an independent mechanic shop for 15 years. His comment:

I lose money working on Hondas, you can't keep this shop running on ATF drain and fills and wiper blades........

Give me a late 90's Explorer anyday........I stay in business on those.............

He thinks the V-6 needs a little more service, but not much.........

2003 Accord I-4 Auto Electric Blue
2006 Ody EXL with RES, Navi, OEM Fog Lights, OEM towing package, 3M clear bra, air deflector package, OEM mud flaps, Mr.Grille

Favorite Previous Rides"

1985 Nissan 200 SX Turbo
1970 Chevelle SS (396)
1967 Chevell SS convertible (396 HO)
1962 Pontiac Catalina (with a 389)
post #12 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 11:00 AM

I know people here dont care about Ward's Top Ten Engine List but I do very much. The V6 has made the list many times while the 4 cylinder never. I regard this list more than Car and Driver's top ten.

06 EX-L 6 speed V6 sedan, 101K Traded in

2011 Mazda3s Hatchback automatic
post #13 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
V6 over the I-4 in the Accord any day. You just can't beat the smooth J series and fuel economy.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-03-2008, 11:52 AM
*KindaFondaHonda*

2003 V6 here.

It is a magnificent engine. Smooth as glass idle. Rocket-like acceleration. Engine noise/vibration is near non-existent while accelerating/cruising. Not a single hiccup. AC doesn't bog down the engine. Mpg's are 25-29 consistently for me (depending on AC use and around town driving vs. highway).

I love that the V6 packs so much power in such a compact engine in such a compact compartment. Cool.

As far as Ward's awards... quite important. We own 3 engines that have been on the Ward's Top 10 for many many years (Nissan's 3.0 V6 in the Maxima, 3.5 VQ V6 in the Pathy, and the 3.0 V6 in the Honda). I can attest: they are all excellent.

As far as timing belts: our Nissans have chains and I'm very happy about that. With the Accord (at 34K now) I more than likely will never be replacing the belt. It will be traded/sold by that time. Even if it's not, it's a small price to pay for V6 perfection, especially when the Accord has cost $0 in repairs to this day.

The V6 is amazing.

DA Member Since 2005
Current Original Owner(s) of:

-- 2010 Infiniti M35 -Advanced Tech. Liquid Platinum Pearl (Mine) --
-- 2013 Infiniti QX56 Touring/Theater/Tech. Dark Currant Mica (Wife's) --
**2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan. Desert Mist/Ivory (Now Our "Extra" Car)**
___ and... ___

-- 2013 MINI Cooper Countryman Turbo S. Blazin' Red/White (Daughter's) --
-- 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Merlot Pearl (Son's) --

------------
Our Westie is smarter than your "Honor" Student!
post #15 of 20 Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 AM
banned

Quote:
As the Japanese caught up in durability and surpassed in performance, BMW Motorrad (like Mercedes) has been forced to chart a path of technical innovation to justify the price gap with the Japanese, and both have had significant hits to their reps for reliability as a result - Germans do innovation better than the Japanese, imo, but they don't necessarily do reliable innovation as well.
Wow, great post!

And get the V6. The 4cyl is anemic torque deprived engine.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.