SOHC VTEC: haters vs. fans: what do you think? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-10-2007, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Question SOHC VTEC: haters vs. fans: what do you think?

Hi,

I see a really interesting mix of opinions about the SOHC VTEC on various forums .. performance enthusiasts seem to be blowing it off as a 'fake VTEC' because it is more oriented towards mileage than performance compared to the DOHC or 3-stage VTEC, people interested in economy like it for its' stability and gas mileage ..

Interesting too, I was thinking that the 4500 RPM boost I feel on my SOHC VTEC in most gears was the VTEC, from what I am learning that is just the start of the peak torque curve for the engine, that the VTEC for the SOHC kicks in anywhere from 2300 to 3200 RPM depending on driving style and that it is mild enough that most drivers won't feel it due to it being on an SOHC engine.

Thoughts? Opinions?

yet another car newbie - stock 2002 EX 4-cyl F23A4 (2.3L, SOHC, ULEV, VTEC) coupe, 5-speed MT
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Out of Control

SOHC VTEC V6's are for performance

2006 BMW 330i 6MT (Alpine White/Terra)
post #3 of 13 Old 07-11-2007, 03:34 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by perldork View Post
Hi,

Thoughts? Opinions?

.....'dork: IMHO, you've too much free time and (again IMHO) no complaints - talking SOHC VTEC - here.

..ez..

2005 Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6M
Taff. White;cargo net;7-24-05

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)
post #4 of 13 Old 07-11-2007, 10:17 AM
accordless

Quote:
Hi,

I see a really interesting mix of opinions about the SOHC VTEC on various forums .. performance enthusiasts seem to be blowing it off as a 'fake VTEC' because it is more oriented towards mileage than performance compared to the DOHC or 3-stage VTEC, people interested in economy like it for its' stability and gas mileage ..

Interesting too, I was thinking that the 4500 RPM boost I feel on my SOHC VTEC in most gears was the VTEC, from what I am learning that is just the start of the peak torque curve for the engine, that the VTEC for the SOHC kicks in anywhere from 2300 to 3200 RPM depending on driving style and that it is mild enough that most drivers won't feel it due to it being on an SOHC engine.

Thoughts? Opinions?
you can hear the vtec come on at that rpm range. yeah, that's what it is.

confused about thoughts and opinions..... vtec on any given engine is what it is and that's that...... random thoughts of forum users are just that. only truth you will find will come from an engineer..... not sure what thoughts you are looking for.....

'08 RDX tech.

'06 accord V6 6 MT nav sedan... gone.

'06 TSX 6MT.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Huh?
post #6 of 13 Old 07-11-2007, 02:03 PM
dgs
4th Gear

The V6 6-speed Accord coupes and sedans will put a hurting on the garden variety Civic, including the SI. The S2000 is the only car in Honda's lineup that is faster in a straight line. But the Accord gets much better gas mileage than the S2000 on regular unleaded.

I love the engine in my car, it's so smooth it's ridiculous. It makes the perfect amount of horsepower and torque for a FWD car; not too much that the torque steer is unmanageable, but enough to make the car really fun (with the 6-speed). It's got more than enough performance for most people, and with the great gas mileage on regular fuel, plus the bullet proof reliability of the J30A5 there is no denying it's an amazing engine. The J30A4 was on Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2003 and 2004.

Who cares if it's SOHC, it rocks!

2007 EX-L V-6 Coupe, 6MT, Graphite Pearl/Gray, OEM Fog Lights, OEM Auto-dim Mirror, Window Tint
post #7 of 13 Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Sorry if this came off as rambling or idiotic, just starting to dive into reading and learning about Honda engines .. no, definitely not too much time :p on my hands, I get about 1 hour a day time after work to 'play' and lately my interest/obsession is in learning more about Honda engines as I am a bit burnt out spending that hour doing more programming / system work for my side business ..

Last night I was reading about the different implementations of VTEC over the years and just thought I would ask as I can see from the posts here that there are a lot of people here who know a lot more than I do .. and there seem to be a wide variety of opinions about the various VTEC implementations with regards to balance of power vs economy etc ..

I'll think more carefully next time about whether the question I have in my head should stay there rather than be posted online :p.

yet another car newbie - stock 2002 EX 4-cyl F23A4 (2.3L, SOHC, ULEV, VTEC) coupe, 5-speed MT
post #8 of 13 Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 AM
5th Gear

perldork, no need to apologize. There are all levels of Accord enthusiasts on here, and there's always something to learn. I for one appreciated the post as it helps me to learn more about it, too.

Carry on!

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

2007 EX-L V6-VTEC Sedan, 5AT
Alabaster Silver, Black Leather, XM, No Navi
41,000 miles
post #9 of 13 Old 07-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

And I didn't mean to belittle or make fun. I couldn't understand how anyone would NOT like VTEC on a single overhead cam or a DOHC for that matter. If it improves performance, even a little, I'm all for it.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Southern Jag!

Quote:
Sorry if this came off as rambling or idiotic, just starting to dive into reading and learning about Honda engines .. no, definitely not too much time :p on my hands, I get about 1 hour a day time after work to 'play' and lately my interest/obsession is in learning more about Honda engines as I am a bit burnt out spending that hour doing more programming / system work for my side business ..

Last night I was reading about the different implementations of VTEC over the years and just thought I would ask as I can see from the posts here that there are a lot of people here who know a lot more than I do .. and there seem to be a wide variety of opinions about the various VTEC implementations with regards to balance of power vs economy etc ..

I'll think more carefully next time about whether the question I have in my head should stay there rather than be posted online :p.
Keep making inquiries! That's the only way to learn (besides researching on your own). You'll ALWAYS get a good mix of fact and opinion. Not with the intent to bash, but sometimes we (people in general) may not interpret someone's inquiry/question as an inquiry to enhance one's knowledge... but at times as an assumption that a statement is being made implying fact when that's really not your intent.

'13 Maxima SV w/ Sport & Tech Pkg (Wife's Ride)
'12 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 (Work Horse)
'07 Accord SE V6 #2 (My Commuter Car)
'95 Impala SS (The Project Car!)
---------- OLD RIDES ----------
'07 Nissan Armada (Traded)
'07 Accord SE V6 #1 (Traded)
'06 Accord SE (Wrecked/Totaled)
'94 Civic EX (Sold)
'86 Silverado C10 (Sold)
post #11 of 13 Old 07-12-2007, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Appreciate all the feedback, even the 'Huh's .. haha .. , thanks!

RTexasF, no hard feelings at all, I can definitely see how my question could have been interpreted as some kind of strange rambling opinion .. haha.

I find the variations in what VTEC means for a given Honda model fascinating ... anything from SOHC with two cam lobes to DOHC with 3 cam lobes to multiple cam lobes and controlling how many valves are open / active at a given RPM range combined with the cam lobe choice, very cool stuff.

Also found it really interesting why VTEC was invented, that it was an attempt to provide turbo-level boost to bhp for <= 2 liter engines to avoid the heavy >= 2 liter taxes imposed on Japanese engines without the strain / maintenance problems caused by turbo charging little engines (at least that is what I read over the last few days on a few sites, please correct me if I am wrong).

Wish i could afford a 'play' vehicle so I could get into actually tinkering with the engine some and get hands on experience with it and have a car to mod that I could afford to break :p .. afraid to do much of anything to mine and mess it up as it is my only car for commuting and I drive 220 miles a day in it.

post #12 of 13 Old 07-13-2007, 08:51 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:

Also found it really interesting why VTEC was invented, that it was an attempt to provide turbo-level boost to bhp for <= 2 liter engines to avoid the heavy >= 2 liter taxes imposed on Japanese engines without the strain / maintenance problems caused by turbo charging little engines (at least that is what I read over the last few days on a few sites, please correct me if I am wrong).
Honda made VTEC to improve low end torque on smaller engines, to improve fuel economy, and to achieve a moonshot goal- to hit 100 hp/l normally aspirated, a feat which was considered impossible at the time.

Check out this interesting article.

It's an example of why I admire Honda as a company, and also why I'm not only a customer, but also a shareholder. Initially, I bought shares because I wanted to own a (small) piece of the Honda dream, as it turns out, it was also a good financial decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-24-2007, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

SOHC Vtec engines (y8) are just as good as their big "b" series brothers.

I was running a Greddy bolt on turbo kit on my 90k y8 at 8lbs of boost with no intercooler, damaged turbo fans (long story) and stock exhaust. I ran low 14's daily.

The engine did blow, but only because I did not maintain the car properly.

So for what it's worth, I think the y8's are just as good as the "b" series in terms of reliability, provided that they are properly maintained.

If I had my choice, of course I would choose the "b" series for many reasons.

But if a "d" series is all that your budget allots for, you can do big things with a boosted y8.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.