Engine Fitment - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 04-02-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Engine Fitment

OK Guys, as some of you know, I need a new engine. I found one out of a 92 Accord. Unknown of mileage, and what type of engine, but it IS a 4 cylinder.

Just curious if it will fit my 96 Accord.
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-02-2007, 05:06 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Will not work.

You need an engine out of a 1996+ or NEWER Honda Accord, Prelude, 1996-1998 Odyssey, or Acura CL. The on board diagnostics for emissions control is different than that of a 1992 Accord, and certain senors will not have places on that engine. Also, the performance will be greatly reduced, and there are many improvments over that engine on 1994-1997 Accords.

Good luck, the prelude engine will be the most hassle of them all.
post #3 of 32 Old 04-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Accord Mafia Member #001

Send a message via AIM to Blkcurrantkord
There's ways around the emissions/wiring crap. With that said, it'll fit but it won't be worth it. Get another F22b2, f22B1, F23a1, or H22.
post #4 of 32 Old 04-02-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Got cha. Thanks guys.

Any 96+ Prelude engines?
And what Year engines on the Acura Tl?

I also found a V6 for it. Came from an Unknown Accord. Will try to get the details on that one, but it's a V6
post #5 of 32 Old 04-03-2007, 03:29 AM
banned

If your car was orgininally a 4cyl, there si no room for a V6. The V6 models have completely different sheetmental on the front clip to fit the V6 in there on the 5th generation. Very interesting.

No TL engines will fit. The Prelude engines with ODB2 (so 1996+) will work, and they all fit, you just have to fabricate a few things, and find the right motor mounts. If you don't have a manual transmission it'll be harder.
post #6 of 32 Old 04-03-2007, 05:45 AM
Accord Mafia Member #001

Quote:
Originally Posted by David76008
Got cha. Thanks guys.

Any 96+ Prelude engines?
And what Year engines on the Acura Tl?

I also found a V6 for it. Came from an Unknown Accord. Will try to get the details on that one, but it's a V6
First what year, model (LX, EX, etc) and auto or manual.
post #7 of 32 Old 04-03-2007, 06:20 AM
banned

It really doesn't matter.

It's obvious he doesn't have the V6 - thats out the window.
And the DX/LX/EX powerplants are the same aside from VTEC, but that does not have to be installed. A VTEC engine will run without the VTEC wring or vise versa. You just won't have VTEC, and your CEL will be on constantly unless you change your ECU.

However, if you have an Automatic, you'll be facing more issues. Go ahead and let us know what your driving though.
post #8 of 32 Old 04-03-2007, 06:59 AM
<error: divide by zero>

After doing multiple engine swaps on RX-7's your best bet is going to be to find exactly what came in your car. Its enough of a pain in the ass, but when you find that this engine has a rerouted EGR and you dont know how to deal with that, you arent going to be having much fun.

Make sure you label everything. Take pictures and video from every angle you can think of too.

Mike M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wheels,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(temp and Maplights),
post #9 of 32 Old 04-03-2007, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Damn this keeps getting harder for me.

OK guys, I drive a 1996 Honda Accord EX. Automatic.

I have looked around locally, and no luck on prelude engine, or f22s.
I don't wan to start hitting up Ebay, and get a dead engine. Ship it back,etc.

So the OBD2 Prelude engine will fit, I just need to find the right motor mounts, and my CEL will be on? I'm guessing it won't right up onto my tranni?
post #10 of 32 Old 04-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Yes, I am a guy

hasport motor mounts will work.

edit: looked on hasport site and i didnt see motor mounts for preludes.

Codename: Trisha
2007 Honda Accord VP Alabaster Silver Metallic + fujita cai + tein basics + dampachi :) + 17mm rsb + TSX wheels
1989 Dodge Caravan LE(RIP BUDDY)

31.81 MPG!!!!

Last edited by dohcivtec; 04-03-2007 at 10:02 AM. Reason: wrong info
post #11 of 32 Old 04-03-2007, 03:39 PM
banned

Quote:

So the OBD2 Prelude engine will fit, I just need to find the right motor mounts, and my CEL will be on? I'm guessing it won't right up onto my tranni?
It will bolt up apparently, but just like anything, it will require some modification like the motor mounts etc. I don't think you can use your reg. F22 mounts on an H22. Remember, becuase you have an automatic, performance will be limited by it, and I really don't think you will see the improvement you think you'll be getting, and if you go with a lower displacement engine, say 2.0 over 2.2, than you'll see that your car revs higher on the interstate, with a 4spd AT, that could get annoying. If I were you, I'd just stay with the F22B1 which is what I believe is the VTEC engine for your Accord.

If you don't mind my asking, what is wrong with your engine? These ususally last with proper care.
post #12 of 32 Old 04-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Accord Mafia Member #001

Quote:

The motor will drop right using all the stock mounts from your current engine aside from the driver's side mount which you'll need to use the driver's side mount from a 92-96 Prelude (assuming you get the H22 or H23). The engine will bolt up to your tranny. If you want to swap to manual, check out , they have a few write ups on engine swaps and auto/manual conversions and everything you'll need to know/do.
post #13 of 32 Old 04-03-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Wow thats guys. Well, my engine blew. I was doing about 60 on the highway, and heard a noise. Lost LOTS of power, and saw smoke coming from the back. I shut it off, pulled over, and saw a small fire right behind the A/c compressor. I went back that night, and saw a big hole right there where the fire was.

post #14 of 32 Old 04-04-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I just got off the phone with a junk yard, and they told me a 2000 Accord engine will fit.

The engine came from a 2000 Accord with Vtec.
I have a 1996 Accord EX(Vtec)

Is this true guys? He even said to bring my own distributor so he could show me.
post #15 of 32 Old 04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
insomnia rules me :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkcurrantkord
There's ways around the emissions/wiring crap. With that said, it'll fit but it won't be worth it. Get another F22b2, f22B1, F23a1, or H22.
it is a F23A1 so it is not the same engine but i think it might fit
here is a chart i found
(still uploading but your engine is a F22B1 and the 2000 is a F23A1. i think)

sorry i cannot just do a link there is a user name/password

quote from
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
F22B1

This engine was used in the 1994-1997 Honda Accord EX and Acura 2.2CL. It was the first F engine to feature VTEC.

Specifications

* Bore Stroke: 85.0 95.0 mm
* Displacement: 2156 cc
* Valve Configuration: SOHC, 16 valves, VTEC
* Compression ratio: 9.2:1
* Max power: 145 hp (108 kW) 5500 rpm
* Max torque: 147 ftlbf (199 Nm) 4500 rpm

97 2.2 SE Honda Accord has 218k
things to do list: lets just say long right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcool
u kiddin me, mkiv's are the messiah, suffering for other cars so all the bastard children hondas can roam problem free, ignorant of the sacrifice all us dubbers make
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.