Touch up paint - Yeah or Nay? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-21-2006, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Question Touch up paint - Yeah or Nay?

Today I was on the freeway and some piece of rubber came flying out of nowhere and hit the frame next to the driver's side windshield area. It left a small ding and scrape ( small but I'm still pissed !!! ) that's 1/2 inch long. It went all the way down to the metal - So should I just get touch up paint & apply it or is there a process I don't know about? Thanks

2006 Accord EX-L 4-DR Graphite Pearl Grey, Splash Guards, Door Trim, Fenderwell trim, Moonroof Visor, Leather Interior
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-21-2006, 12:46 AM

If it went all the way down to the bare metal, then you'll want to put some touch-up paint on it so that it doesn't rust up.

post #3 of 9 Old 10-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Carpe Diem, Carpe Viam...

Really I think we all need to see some pics here to really help you out...

But in general, yes you want to touch it up so the car doesn't rust over time. For touching up I'd HIGHLY recommend a Honda paint pen (can be purchased at most dealership parts departments), as you can do much finer "touchups" without dripping so long as you are careful. I know the pens here in Canada also have a clearcoat side, but imo the clearcoat is worthless and in the 2 spots I used it on, it actually made the touchup look worse than if I just touched it up with the base coat colour and then left things well enough alone. Make sure you also double check the paint code on the pen too with the paint code written in the doorjam of the car, as Honda has made mistakes in the past. Here is a pic of the pen I got from Honda:

Anyhow, just remember "less is more" so once you have it looking "better", just walk away for alteast a few hours then come back if you still REALLY think it needs more. I hate to say it but its never going to look the same as it did before, but just remember what you are after is having it look better than without any touchups, and that you really want the bare metal protected, not a completely unaltered paintjob.

There are products out there that do help you make a flawless touchup...however these involve removing MORE paint around the touchup, then painting, then sanding the whole area (destroying the finish), then slowly (using power detailing tools) bring the whole area back by polishing, polishing, and more polishing. If you REALLY want to look into doing this, look into purchasing a kit from a company called Langka:

Again, please post pics, and we will be able to help you better with any decisions on what you may or may not need to do.

radio-pro.ru Moderator -- Personal attacks against members will NOT be tolerated...
2006 Graphite Grey Accord EX-V6 6MT Coupe
MODS: HFP Suspension, AEM V2, V6P J-Pipe, TL 20mm RSB, Comptech Short Shifter, Corsport Bushings, Groundkit, HIRs, Spoiler, ClearGuard Clearbra, Splashguards, WT Floorliners, PA11-HON2, TL Keyfob
TIRES: 215/50R17 Fuzion ZRIs, 205/60R16 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s (on steelies)
Previous Car: 1995 White Pontiac Sunfire 5MT Coupe 410,000KM - R.I.P

post #4 of 9 Old 10-23-2006, 08:50 AM
It must be user error.

Send a message via AIM to mypp
errr... maybe it's a canada thing, but when i went to the dealer to get some touch up paint a few months ago, there was no pen they now have these bottles, that look like a bottle of nail polish. there's a little brush, and you use that to apply the paint. there IS a pen-tip on it, but, in order to use it, you need to pull off this film thing, and both the dealer and the dent repair person told me that, once you pull it off the bottle, the paint will dry out in two-three months.

to the OP, if it's scratched down to the metal, before applying -any- paint, you want to treat it with some anti-rust solution, and, if you feel like it, a tiny drop of bondo. you can use a toothpick to fill in the gap where the paint got scraped. that will give you added anti-rust protection. i don't think putting touch-up paint over the scrape that deep will guard you against rust in rain/snow climate.

---------------------------------
White '06 Accord LX, I4 Automatic (vin-etched, 3M clearbra, front/rear bumper guards, splash guards)
White '87 Accord LX, I4 Automatic (158.7K SOLD 7/1/06 ) :( :( :(
post #5 of 9 Old 10-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Yes, I am a guy

i bought the touch up paint for freaking 10 bucks today. some bleep bleeper was parallel parking and ran their license plate bolt into my rear bumper. trying to fix it right now but o well.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-24-2006, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks guys for the help, I'm going to head over to see if the dealership has the touch up pen tomorrow... I'll post a before and after pic in the next couple days! Thank goodness I live in Vegas where it only rains a few days a year and never snows so rust shouldn't be a problem 4 me! Phew

2006 Accord EX-L 4-DR Graphite Pearl Grey, Splash Guards, Door Trim, Fenderwell trim, Moonroof Visor, Leather Interior
post #7 of 9 Old 11-08-2006, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum
Really I think we all need to see some pics here to really help you out...

But in general, yes you want to touch it up so the car doesn't rust over time. For touching up I'd HIGHLY recommend a Honda paint pen (can be purchased at most dealership parts departments), as you can do much finer "touchups" without dripping so long as you are careful. I know the pens here in Canada also have a clearcoat side, but imo the clearcoat is worthless and in the 2 spots I used it on, it actually made the touchup look worse than if I just touched it up with the base coat colour and then left things well enough alone. Make sure you also double check the paint code on the pen too with the paint code written in the doorjam of the car, as Honda has made mistakes in the past. Here is a pic of the pen I got from Honda:

Anyhow, just remember "less is more" so once you have it looking "better", just walk away for alteast a few hours then come back if you still REALLY think it needs more. I hate to say it but its never going to look the same as it did before, but just remember what you are after is having it look better than without any touchups, and that you really want the bare metal protected, not a completely unaltered paintjob.

There are products out there that do help you make a flawless touchup...however these involve removing MORE paint around the touchup, then painting, then sanding the whole area (destroying the finish), then slowly (using power detailing tools) bring the whole area back by polishing, polishing, and more polishing. If you REALLY want to look into doing this, look into purchasing a kit from a company called Langka:

Again, please post pics, and we will be able to help you better with any decisions on what you may or may not need to do.
Conundrum,
Would you happen to have a part # for the pen?

'16 Honda Accord EX-L
'12 Acura MDX
post #8 of 9 Old 11-08-2006, 03:58 PM
3rd Gear

I ordered an acura touch up pen for my car off of ebay. I'll let you know how well it works when I touch up the scratch on my bumper.

'17 Accord EX Sedan I4 6MT MSM
'06 Accord LX Sedan I4 5MT ASM (Traded in at 230,600 miles)
post #9 of 9 Old 11-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Carpe Diem, Carpe Viam...

Just saw this thread back from the dead and I had to add something...

About 1-2 weeks ago, I bought a new pen (lost the old one) to touch up a few more spots (#*& road construction on the highway leaving millions of stones everywhere, and a dumptruck that was raining stones on the freeway another night). Anyhow, I touched up as normal, however a few spots were larger, and thus required more paint. Well to make a long long story short, the touchup looked MUCH worse than what I had before. Originally I could only see it in a few types/angles of light, whereas now I could see the scratch and a dull spot in ALL light. Since I knew I needed to do SOMETHING, I rush ordered a Langka complete kit and let me tell you all its a lifesaver. Their website says it is only guarenteed to work for the first 24hrs, but after 5 days of waiting on processing and shipping (and getting VERY pissed off) the Langka came and took all the excess paint off in litterally 15 seconds per spot.

Whats my point to this thread? ANYONE planning on touching up their car, buy Langka first. I was skeptical before that their product could do what it claimed, now I am sure it could. I still doubt that you can get "perfect" finishes unless you become skilled with their product, however it really helps, and at the very least allows you to erase a touchup gone wrong. If all you are after is the paint remover (all I used), you only need the "Blob Eliminator", or if you want the complete kit (what I bought as I wanted to have EVERYTHING), you can buy the complete kit which comes with 2oz of Blob Eliminator, prepaint, paint sealant, special brushes/"card", and a removal cloth. The only bad thing I can comment on is don't bother with their "instructional video", as its only a re-hash of whats on their website with a little (but not hugely useful) more information.

Website for more info and ordering is

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmonsm
Conundrum,
Would you happen to have a part # for the pen?
At work right now so I don't have that on me. When I get home, I'll post the part number although it might be slightly different as I live in Canada (I know our advanced MTF carries a slightly different part number).

radio-pro.ru Moderator -- Personal attacks against members will NOT be tolerated...
2006 Graphite Grey Accord EX-V6 6MT Coupe
MODS: HFP Suspension, AEM V2, V6P J-Pipe, TL 20mm RSB, Comptech Short Shifter, Corsport Bushings, Groundkit, HIRs, Spoiler, ClearGuard Clearbra, Splashguards, WT Floorliners, PA11-HON2, TL Keyfob
TIRES: 215/50R17 Fuzion ZRIs, 205/60R16 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s (on steelies)
Previous Car: 1995 White Pontiac Sunfire 5MT Coupe 410,000KM - R.I.P
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.