Severe Window Water spot removal DIY - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Severe Window Water spot removal DIY

Hey everyone,

I had some very severe water spots on all the windows of my Accord. They were etched in so badly that vinegar, solvents, and chemicals couldn't get them out. This method is for water spots that are ETCHED into glass, not ones that simply sit above glass that can be removed with a chemical.

My friend is a professional Auto Detailer and told me to use 0000 Steel wool and Meguiars Cleaner wax (the kind with some grit in it.) It worked wonders on my windows, they are as clear as the day I bought in the car brand new. It worked so well I thought I'd write up the procedure and post some pictures in the next few days.

Step one: Gather Materials. 1 strip of 0000 Steel Wool (can be picked up at any hardware store.) Meguiars Cleaner Wax. 2 Microfiber rags. Some Auto Glass Cleaner (I used Armor-All Auto Glass Cleaner.) Painter's Tape

Step two: Tape off the edge of the glass pane where it meets the body of the car to avoid getting the paint dirty.

Step three: Apply a small line of Cleaner Wax to the steel wool. (Always make sure the steel wool has NO debris on it or it WILL scratch the glass)

Step four: In circular motions begin removing the spots at the edge of the window and work your way inwards. You may have to do a few passes to remove the water spots if they were etched in as badly as mine were.

Step Five: Wipe away the wax with a microfiber and repeat Step 4-5 as necessary until the spots are gone.

Step six: Spray on some Glass Cleaner and wipe down the window with a separate microfiber. Remove the Painter's Tape and clean up any over spray from the Glass Cleaner with a Microfiber.

Final Result:

Here are some before/afters on the back window:

Before:

After:

2004 Accord Coupe EX I4 5 Spd MT Nighthawk Black.

2004 Accord Coupe EX V6 6 Spd MT Satin Silver.
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 PM
4th Gear

Doesnt the steel wool scratches the glass and cause it to haze?

post #3 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-JET View Post
Doesnt the steel wool scratches the glass and cause it to haze?
No hazing in my case. The windows are crystal clear. The 0000 steel wool is the finest grit you can get. If you got rougher steel wool then yes it would scratch. Plus the wax cuts down on the harshness.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 06:07 AM
Master of mountain roads

If you had water spots that had to be sanded off your windshield I'd say that they were not the common water spots that the rest of us are familiar with. As for rubbing down your windshield with steel wool and then waxing it I can not think of worse things to do. I would be adamant in recommending to everyone that they not try this - it is a mistake, a big one. Never use any kind of abrasive on your windshield, none what so ever. Usually "water spots" are simply calcium that remains when the water evaporates, it can be removed using any mild acid (vinegar) or glass cleaner. Most other spots come from other sources and most of them (including tar or tree sap) will come off easily using acetone. Acetone will not harm your glass or paint but you have to be very careful using it around plastics.

2005 Honda Accord, 6-6
2001 Acura CL Type-S
2002 Audi A-4, 1.8 Turbo
1999 Ford, Superduty, 7.3 Liter Powerstroke
1987 Honda 500/4 Cafe
1988 Honda 500/4 Cafe
2002 Harley Davidson, Deuce
2005 Harley Davidson, Sportster-low
post #5 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 07:48 AM
4th Gear

We have hard water here in south florida and it does tend to leave these water spot stains on the glass even after numerous runs of vinegar and other window cleaning products. I agree abrasive and wax doesn't belong on a glass, even though 0000 is very fine, it is still in fact an abrasive. What the abrasive is doing is removing that stained layer that is on top of the glass and possibly scratching the glass itself in the process.

acetone on the other hand I have not tried basically because I would be afraid to put such a chemical near my beauty. Is that the only alternative you would have?

Do or Do Not - There is no Try
post #6 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Old-Man View Post
If you had water spots that had to be sanded off your windshield I'd say that they were not the common water spots that the rest of us are familiar with. As for rubbing down your windshield with steel wool and then waxing it I can not think of worse things to do. I would be adamant in recommending to everyone that they not try this - it is a mistake, a big one. Never use any kind of abrasive on your windshield, none what so ever. Usually "water spots" are simply calcium that remains when the water evaporates, it can be removed using any mild acid (vinegar) or glass cleaner. Most other spots come from other sources and most of them (including tar or tree sap) will come off easily using acetone. Acetone will not harm your glass or paint but you have to be very careful using it around plastics.
So when you tried this method it caused scratches? I did this about a month ago and I see no scratches in my windows even under an LED. I'd just like to know if you are just pontificating or you have seen damaging results. They use this method at professional detail shops all the time. Idens detailing is how I learned of this method.

post #7 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip96 View Post
We have hard water here in south florida and it does tend to leave these water spot stains on the glass even after numerous runs of vinegar and other window cleaning products. I agree abrasive and wax doesn't belong on a glass, even though 0000 is very fine, it is still in fact an abrasive. What the abrasive is doing is removing that stained layer that is on top of the glass and possibly scratching the glass itself in the process.

acetone on the other hand I have not tried basically because I would be afraid to put such a chemical near my beauty. Is that the only alternative you would have?
If the water spots are ETCHED into the glass like mine were, I'd use this method. If you can feel them ABOVE the glass try water spot remover, but in my case the water spots were so bad that I had to go this route. In your case, a magic clean eraser with some vinegar might work fine. NEVER use a Scotch Brite green pad though.

post #8 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Steel wool is softer than glass and will NOT scratch glass, hitting the glass with a heavy steel object will damage the glass, but not when fine steel wool is used to remove water stains.

As for effectiveness of solvent, it is only effective if the material being removed is soluble in the solvent being used, petrolium based deposit may be soluble in strong solvent but not with water, and non-solvent based deposit will likely not touched by solvent.

Thread moved to "Maintenance & Detailing" subforum.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 07:35 PM
4th Gear

I might need to borrow your meathod

Im thinking this meathod will help me one day. Especially if those damn birds keep useing my windshield as their bathroom. You should have seen the spots i had on my old car's windshield thanks to that reason....
post #10 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 08:00 PM
1st Gear

metal polish takes the water spots out also
post #11 of 11 Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 AM
Carpe Diem

I think I finally found a use for the sample bottle of Meguiars Cleaner Wax that has been sitting in my basement for years!
Advertisement

Tags
etched, glass, water spots, window

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.