Cleaning My Engine Bay - Lots of oxidation?? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
HSS
2nd Gear

Question Cleaning My Engine Bay - Lots of oxidation??

Dear All,

I recently bought a used 05 Accord and while trying to do some maintenance under the hood I noticed that their is a lot of filth as well as what looks like a lot of oxidation and potential corrosion (especially on bolts). This worries me and was wondering if everything looks normal for a 6 year old car or if I have what to worry about. (I'm probably just being paranoid for with my first car, I just want to treat it right )

Whats the best way to clean this? I have seen other threads talking about using a degreaser then rinsing and then CD-2, but just wanted to know if there was anything specific I should do for all that oxidation. Also is there anything in specific that must be covered from water on an '05 Accord V6?

Pics Below:

2005 Accord EX-L V6 4DR, Graphite Pearl
What I've gleaned thus far:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Ridin'Slow

damn that shiitt dirty lol it shouldn't be so dirty for a 6 year old car. where was the car sitting? when i clean my engine bay i just spray the degreaser all over let it sit then brush it or whip it down and then rinse with water. here more detail

http://radio-pro.ru/forums/sh...522#post830522

post #3 of 11 Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 PM

Since it's that bad you might want to pay to get it done professionally. Our Forum Sponsor Detailer's Domain does a good job and they are just over the bridge in Jersey.

Looks like you have a PS fluid leak going on also.

2007 EX-L 4DR

post #4 of 11 Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
HSS
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellon14 View Post
damn that shiitt dirty lol it shouldn't be so dirty for a 6 year old car. where was the car sitting? when i clean my engine bay i just spray the degreaser all over let it sit then brush it or whip it down and then rinse with water. here more detail

http://radio-pro.ru/forums/sh...522#post830522
ya its pretty filthy I bought the car off a guy in Brooklyn and it was always parked on the street in the city, so ya its pretty filthy.

I think the lighting of the pics over exaggerate the dirt a bit but it definitely illustrates the how filthy it is. Do you have any degreaser recommendations??

This pic was also taken today at same time but without flash so the grime looks a bit more normal:

post #5 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 04:41 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

This same question has been asked a LOT over the years. Search will bring up countless threads on this very subject, try it.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 PM
2014 EX-L V6 AT CUSTOM

's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSS View Post
Dear All,

I recently bought a used 05 Accord and while trying to do some maintenance under the hood I noticed that their is a lot of filth as well as what looks like a lot of oxidation and potential corrosion (especially on bolts). This worries me and was wondering if everything looks normal for a 6 year old car or if I have what to worry about. (I'm probably just being paranoid for with my first car, I just want to treat it right )
Most of what I see it just plain surface dirt on plastic, which a careful pressure washing will remove, then prepped with a good plastic preservative.

Make sure the engine is cooled down. Use a cleaner like 409 and spray all your plastic and rubber down and give it a good ten to twenty minutes before pressure washing for the best results.

Now to the engine block and mounts that show oxidation. The white powdery material you see is aluminum oxide. It's like rust for steel.

You can clean it with minimal damage to the surface with an old product that's been arund a long time. It's called Naval Jelly.

It's acid based which is needed to remove the oxide. Be sure to wear gloves because you are dealing with a mild acid. Test a small heavy oxidated area first to see how long it needs to remain before you rinse it off.

Don't be alarmed if it turns blackish. That's the acid reacting with the aluminum oxide. If your doing wheels be extremely careful because you can pit them bad with this stuff. If you take your time and do a part at a time you can bring that engine bay back to new condition. Ohh and this is important. don't get that Jelly on your paint. You won't like the results. When you rinse off the Jelly just use an open garden hose to rinse off which will be minumal splash.

I did the above on a few 66 Mustangs I've owned and people thought I painted the engine bay. I'm not saying you'll get that type of results but as new as your car is, a good cleanup with be as different as night and day. Good luck.

One more thing I noticed. Your serpentine belt looks like it has some stress cracks in it. I'd replace it ASAP.

"life is too short.. eat your cake first.."

define "build thread" answer: new wheels, LEDs, fart can muffler = zoom zoom
is offline
post #7 of 11 Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 AM
5th Gear

For some ideas about cleaning your engine and engine bay, look here:

The main bits:
  • You may want to consider some preventive measures to guard against leaks (or rather, where water can get into places where it shouldn't)
  • Water pressure for rinsing is whatever makes sense to you. Everyone will have an opinion or experience.
  • Products are up to you. I don't think you could go wrong with many different types of things, so no need to get too fancy here. The important part is to treat the rubber and plastic parts with something that helps protect them.

2006 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 / 6MT / NAV / seriously underwhelming iPod MusicLink accessory
post #8 of 11 Old 12-17-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
HSS
2nd Gear

I cleaned it!!

Ok So last week I cleaned my Engine Bay with some Gunk Degreaser, hosed it off and then applied CD2 Engine Detailer. Everything on the surface looks decent but down below as you'll see in the second pic all the bolts and stuff are still pretty dirty, I gues the only real way to solve that is to have it professionally cleaned and have them use a power washer.

post #9 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 05:24 AM
Carpe Diem

Well it looks a million times better than it did before. Nice job
post #10 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
HSS
2nd Gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
Well it looks a million times better than it did before. Nice job
Thanks!!

post #11 of 11 Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 PM
4th Gear

that looks great! sorry for the delay in getting back to your PM, I just got it.

Promo Code for 10% off - ACCORD
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.