Oil Drain Valve Opinions - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 04-01-2006, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Carpe Diem, Carpe Viam...

Question Oil Drain Valve Opinions

From a V6 Oil Change Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncelk
You could also use the Fumoto drain valve.

I put one on our Odyssey this weekend and now I can change the oil the next time around without having to jack up the vehicle. I can just reach underneath and open the valve.

You can find the valve here:

Has anyone put one of these on their V6 Accord? I'm fairly interested it in doing it based on what I hear from others, and also if they needed the adapter as well (site just states for the 6th gen 99 Accord it is needed). I'm still thinking of switching to mobil1 synthetic once my car hits 15,000-20,000km (currently I plan on having the dealership do atleast the first oil change), and this looks like it would make life a lot easier for me to do it on my own once I switch from dino to synth...

Thanks in advance

radio-pro.ru Moderator -- Personal attacks against members will NOT be tolerated...
2006 Graphite Grey Accord EX-V6 6MT Coupe
MODS: HFP Suspension, AEM V2, V6P J-Pipe, TL 20mm RSB, Comptech Short Shifter, Corsport Bushings, Groundkit, HIRs, Spoiler, ClearGuard Clearbra, Splashguards, WT Floorliners, PA11-HON2, TL Keyfob
TIRES: 215/50R17 Fuzion ZRIs, 205/60R16 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s (on steelies)
Previous Car: 1995 White Pontiac Sunfire 5MT Coupe 410,000KM - R.I.P

Last edited by Conundrum; 04-01-2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Messed up the quote...corrected now
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

I have one installed on our '03 Corolla and love it since I change my own oil.

I chose the Fram Sure Drain for the Accord (4 cyl.) because the other required the extension. The Fumoto may have been just fine but I was not crazy about it being so close to the ground.

From the Fumoto application chart:

Honda All models up to 1983 F-105
'98 & on, Accord(4cyl.), Prelude, S2000 require adapter ADP-106) F-106
'96 & on V6 engines require adapter ADL-106 F-106
All other models from '84 & on F-106

post #3 of 40 Old 04-01-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

hmm...I've looked up the Fram one and although I do like the mechanical nature of the Fumoto, the Fram does include a hose which would make changing the oil on the V6 that much easier (considering how many ppl on this forum and others mention about the difference between where the oil drains from the car and where it actually ends up after it arcs).

It will be a while before I need to change my oil but one of these two do seem to be a good idea...if anyone else has other suggestions (something other than these two) or a warning about using these please post.

radio-pro.ru Moderator -- Personal attacks against members will NOT be tolerated...
MODS: HFP Suspension, AEM V2, V6P J-Pipe, TL 20mm RSB, Comptech Short Shifter, Corsport Bushings, Groundkit, HIRs, Spoiler, ClearGuard Clearbra, Splashguards, WT Floorliners, PA11-HON2, TL Keyfob

post #4 of 40 Old 04-01-2006, 06:19 PM
5th Gear

If you are worried about where the oil will drain, simply get the Fumoto with the nipple extension on it.

Then you can attach a hose to it and direct the oil flow where you please.

I am still very happy with mine. I have heard some complaints about the Suredrain being slow to drain, but I have not used one personally, so who knows.

The way the drain valve is mounted on ours, there isnow way debris could make it open without utterly destroying the whole oil pan and bottom of the vehicle.

I feel very comfortable with the design and placement.

On the V6, you will need the extension, but it was no problem to mount it.

See pics................
Attached Images

2016 Volkswagen Passat VR6

Previously: 9 Accords from 1990-2014
post #5 of 40 Old 04-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

I have heard some complaints about the Suredrain being slow to drain, but I have not used one personally, so who knows.

You & me both! I installed it at the last oil change but haven't actually used it yet.

I prefer the Fumoto but the Accord is quite a bit lower than the Corolla so I chickened out. Also you need to keep track of the 2nd part of the Sure Drain whereas the Fumoto is a single piece.
post #6 of 40 Old 04-04-2006, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF
I prefer the Fumoto but the Accord is quite a bit lower than the Corolla so I chickened out.
You and me both...I have the HFP suspension as well which has settled at around a 1 inch drop maybe a bit lower, so it puts it even more in question if the Fumoto would cause clearance issues (plus on the V6 I would need the extension as well, which from the pic posted above looks fairly long...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncelk
The way the drain valve is mounted on ours, there isnow way debris could make it open without utterly destroying the whole oil pan and bottom of the vehicle.
nclek, is that your V6 Accord of one of the other cars??? Because if thats the V6, then it would be the same way on mine (shouldn't have been any changes from 2004 to 2006)

post #7 of 40 Old 04-04-2006, 03:59 PM
5th Gear

That photo is from our Odyssey.

I will say for those of you that are concerned about the low ground clearance, the valve does not hang any lower than the bottom of the oil pain.

In fact, the release lever is WAY up out of the way. In order to damage the drain valve, you are going to have fairly significant damage to the oil pain itself, as well as the other lower suspension components on the lower part of the car.

Having done this on the van, I would have put it on our Accord with no concerns.

post #8 of 40 Old 09-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Sup

Digging a thread from the grave here, but I just installed my Fumoto valve and DID NOT use the adapter. Our oil pans are plenty flat to accept just the valve alone. You can't go wrong with this mod. The lever to release it (on mine least) is pointing towards the sky so there's hardly any chance of a rock or object turning it. The spring is pretty tight to actually release the lever to drain the oil.

No worries here.

07 Sedan SE I4 Auto
TSX IM w/ P2R heatshield
Homemade CAI
2.25" exh. w/ 06 Si muffler
17mm TL sway bar
Magnefine trans. filter
Fumoto Valve
Kenwood KFC-6970ie
post #9 of 40 Old 09-02-2007, 01:53 PM
lookin' clean

Send a message via AIM to digitalh3lix
i've heard about these oil quick drain things, for some reason i dont trust them. you're going to have to jack the car up to change the oil filter anyways. whats the big deal with these?

2013 VW Passat
2007 ASM Accord SE Sedan 5SPD
Mods:Skunk 2 knob, Neuspeed SSK, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni yellows, Modulo front lip, Hybrid Tails, HFP Silverstars, General Exclaim 225/50/17, Hawk brakes pads, 17mm RSB, strut tower,Mini H1 Retro, 6K HID, Acura Legend brake calipers, Depo headlights,Raxles, Syncromesh,Boston Acoustics
1993 Prelude VTEC 5SPD BLACK - SOLD.
post #10 of 40 Old 09-02-2007, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I ended up buying a Fumoto with adapter and nozzle (still waiting for it to get here though). A guy at work bought one for his Subie, and in playing with the valve, there is no way it could accidentally flip to open (you'd lose your oilpan first).

As for why, in my case I had 2 reasons: 1. I don't have to keep pulling the drain plug, as I know someone who ruined the threads on their oilpan easily, and 2. I can connect a hose, put it in the drainpan, then open the value, and not worry about any mess or spillage. Because of how the oil filter is mounted on the V6 as well, I should be able to keep any spillage to an absolute minimum, which was worth it, at least to me.

post #11 of 40 Old 09-02-2007, 05:50 PM
5th Gear

I have it on all 3 of my cars, and think it is one of the best things that I have ever done, as far as making maintanance easier. I can even change the oil in the Miata without jacking it up.

post #12 of 40 Old 09-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
anyone have a website for these? All this talk has made me want one.
post #13 of 40 Old 09-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Sup

Here's your part # too: F-106 (valve) and ADP-106 (adapter)
Or, F-106N which the N is for the nipple on the valve.

07 Sedan SE I4 Auto
TSX IM w/ P2R heatshield
Homemade CAI
2.25" exh. w/ 06 Si muffler
17mm TL sway bar
Magnefine trans. filter
Fumoto Valve
Kenwood KFC-6970ie
post #14 of 40 Old 09-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
Sweet! Thanks. These are pretty reasonable too!
post #15 of 40 Old 09-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Texas Ground Pounder

Garage
I agree that the Fumoto valve is worth it. I have three other vehicles with the Fram Suredrain valve and they do drain very slowly. I love using these drain valves on my vehicles to reduce chances of stripping out threads and to reduce tools needed to change the oil.

Several months back my dad stripped out his threads on his Civic and we had to replace his oil pan. I didn't know about the Fumoto at the time and I sept several hours on the internet before I finally found a Suredrain on EBay for his car. The local stores no longer sell the Suredrain for some reason. A couple of weeks ago, my wife ran over something in the road and it punched a small hole in her pan on her Corolla just above the oil plug. Don't ask, I can't figure it out either. It also scuffed the heck out of the cap of her Suredrain but the valve itself was still in tact. We had to replace her oil pan but was able to reuse the drain valve.

I recently put the Fumoto valve on my V6 Accord and I am very happy with it. Although it does stick out quite a bit due to the adaptor and I also got the valve with the nipple, I am confident that it will not get hit by anything before the oil pan itself is hit. It sits straight back from the oil pan and does not sit any lower than the pan. By adding a hose to the nipple, I can direct the oil directly downward to prevent it from getting all over the undercarrage. I am now thinking about finding out which one of these would fit the transmission plug as well so I can make it easier for drain and fill on it also.

2003 Accord EX Sedan V6 Auto NAVI (Noble Green Pearl)
Mods:Fog Lights-front & rear TL sway bar-V6 MT shock tower bar-AEM V2-Magnaflow cat-back-Window & Moon visors-Kaminari Lip Kit-Bug Shield-CUSCO Type II TSX Lower brace-Enkei EV5 wheels-Trans Cooler
Audio/Video:audio under construction-KP window up, one touch moonroof, mirror tilt-Dice iPod-Rear Camera-TVandNav2go Video
Wish List:Air Ride-Charger
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.