Scratches from snow brush - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Angry Scratches from snow brush

So.. I'm pretty upset right now. 2 days ago we got a good amount of snow here in WI and I didnt have my brush in the car to clear my windows (I never use it on the painted surface of my car.) So I was joking around with an old guy here (who I normally talk about car stuff with) about how long I was going to have to leave my car on to melt the snow off the windows after I got out of here.

I go out after work and see him just finishing clearing off my WHOLE CAR. Painted surfaces and everything. While my first thought was that it was nice of him, my second thought was how many scratches I was going to have in the paint now.

So last night when I got home I looked at the car and can see small scratches in the paint that follow the dried water marks from the direction that he took his brush over my paint. There are a TON of lovely little microscratches. I kinda want to rip the guys head off now and tell him to keep his hands off my s*** even if he's trying to help.

Not only are there scratches on the paint, but there are also scratches on the shinyish plasticy trim thats on the back edge of the door between the handle and the top of the door.

Can I get the micro scratches out of the plastic? If so, how? Normal polish? Will that make it worse?

He's just lucky I had planned for a polish this spring anyway..

BTW - Its a CBP (BLACK!!!!) 09 Accord Coupe V6MT

As of 12/29/08:

09' V6 6M Accord Coupe EX-L
Crystal Black Pearl/Black
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 08:15 AM

No big deal although I wouldn't be happy about it either.

Just apply a one step polish & sealant. Otc Nufinish, Duragloss #101(much better), Duragloss Swirl Remover(best result using a 1 step). All of the preceeding contain a sealant for protection.

Side note: your black paint is notriously soft so it picks up scratches very easily.

For even better results use a dedicated polish like one of the Meguiars products(ultimate compound).

post #3 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 09:19 AM
6th Gear

Believe it or not I doubt the scratches are that deep and will probably come out with a good swirl remover wax product.

I know I have done the same thing with my accord on the plastic trim around the rear view mirrors with the ice scraper. The scratches looked bad at first but came right out with a wax.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP

post #4 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Coldspeed

Ouch! I made that mistake on my first car during the winter. Was probably worse than yours, black car and I used a broom :/

12/06-04/08 '93 Sentra SE cpe
08/07-02/10 '98 Accord EX-V6 cpe
07/08-05/09 '91 Festiva
3/10-Current '03 Accord EXNV-V6 cpe
post #5 of 8 Old 01-14-2011, 04:27 PM
NJDR

hahaha that ****s man :/ my car is CBP too i never clean the snow off to the paint lol i use like the other side of snow brush because it has like a squeegee side

2009 honda accord coupe ex-l v6
MODS:

To many to list.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Generation 9

Snow !!

I was just thinking of this the other day after being dumped with snow AGAIN. I did not touch the paint surface with the brush and just wiped off the top few inches. I didn't know the paint would scratch so easily but something told me don't do it. Is it true the black will swirl easier than other colors or is it just the color that makes them more visible? And how does the scratch remover work really? Doesn't it have to remove "unscratched" clear coat to make the surface even out? How often can you do this before you get to the actual paint?

2013 Accord Sedan EXL V6
Crystal Black Pearl
Ambients Interior
LEDS - Interior, Doors, Maps, Dome, Trunk
Blue LEDS Center Console, Footwells Illuminated

Future Projects
Tints, the Legal NY laws
Door Sills

Products, Lexol,
WET PAINT
post #7 of 8 Old 01-16-2011, 05:29 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXLAccord2011 View Post
I was just thinking of this the other day after being dumped with snow AGAIN. I did not touch the paint surface with the brush and just wiped off the top few inches. I didn't know the paint would scratch so easily but something told me don't do it. Is it true the black will swirl easier than other colors or is it just the color that makes them more visible? And how does the scratch remover work really? Doesn't it have to remove "unscratched" clear coat to make the surface even out? How often can you do this before you get to the actual paint?
Black cars don't scratch easier, but the color does make scratches stand out more. A polish does work by removing a very thin layer of paint, while products like Scratch X, IIRC, fill in the scratches to create an even coat.

'06 LX Sedan Auto
Alabaster Silver/Gray Cloth
92700 Miles
post #8 of 8 Old 01-26-2011, 06:30 AM
6th Gear

Scratch-X 2.0 removes scratchs and has fillers IIRC. A good polish will clean up your paint nicely. You could do it yourself or just have it detailed.

2008 Accord Coupe EX Silver
20% tint
Viper 5701 2-way Responder LE w/ remote start
Weathertech floor liners front & Back
OEM deck lid spoiler
Factory fogs added
Xenon depot 5k HIDs

RETURNED LEASE...Weathertech for sale.
New ride 2011 F-150 FX4 Ecoboost super crew
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.