To much Transmission Fluid on 2003 acord EX V4?? Good or bad - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 01-21-2006, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
ns559

Unhappy To much Transmission Fluid on 2003 acord EX V4?? Good or bad

Hello, first time posting on this site. I was wondering if anybody can give me an insight. I recently had my automatic transmission fluid changed on my 2003 Accord V4 EX. The transmission dip stick is showing the fluid just a little above the 2 dots on the dip stick. At first I poured 3 quarts of Honda ATF and it barely made it to the 1st dot, then I poured about 3/4 more. I drove it for a bout 10-15 minutes, went back to check the dipstick and now it is showing above the 2 dots. I would say about 3-4mm higher. The Acocord manual says to have the ATF inbetween the 2 dots. Also, I read on some threads on Accord forum that overfilling the automatic transmission can cause "bubbles" in the transmission; which is bad for the transmission. My point is, should I drain the ATF again so that the dipstick shows the fluid level inbetween the dots, or should I not worry about it too much. Any advise would be great. Thanks...

Last edited by ns559; 01-21-2006 at 06:38 PM. Reason: 2003 accord EX V4
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-21-2006, 06:41 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
btw, I4 and V6 are the engines that honda makes over here in the US....

welcome aboard......

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #3 of 20 Old 01-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Out of Control

Make sure that you are checking the fluid level correctly, I think this might be one of the finicky ones.

post #4 of 20 Old 01-21-2006, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
ns559

I checked the transmission dipstick over 12 times and I am still getting the same fluid level, which is a bit above the 2 dots. The accord is parked on a flat surface.

2003 Honda Acord EX I4 4Door
post #5 of 20 Old 01-21-2006, 09:52 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
It's probably not enough to worry about.... but if you're that concerned take a little out....just under 3 & half is usually right.

Welcome!!!!
post #6 of 20 Old 01-21-2006, 10:56 PM
4th Gear

I went crazy with the transmission fluid. I had it changed (put in three liters) and it read too much; the manual says to add 2.8l. Everyone said to leave it alone. Im a fanatic so of course I didn't. I then drained some (very little) and then it read too little. I then drained it all and refilled it to exactly the second dot. The way I did this was to put in less oil than needed (not too little,) take the car for a spin and then recheck. After a couple of times I got it right. I have exact amount written down at home. I will post tommorrow. Welcome. There is a post about it here where princess gives the exact proceedure of checking the tranny oil.

Shamrock

Honda Accord 2003 2.4L a\t
post #7 of 20 Old 01-22-2006, 08:35 AM
77htchbck

I've noticed this with several other slush boxes. Once fluid registers on the lower end of the range, it takes very little to top off, a pint or less.

As others have said, be sure to read the procedure in the owners manual. Some want the tranny at operating temps and idling, others (Honda) want it up to temp and engine off, at least on my 6th Gen anyway.

Practice makes perfect.
________
post #8 of 20 Old 01-22-2006, 11:48 AM
6th Gear

ns559,
How many miles are on your car?

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT Auto Coupe
post #9 of 20 Old 01-22-2006, 01:11 PM
6 fwd gears, no reverse

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
as far as engine oil goes, anything above the max recommended is bad on a high compression engine. thats because you are now runnin more fluid that recommended in a pressurized compartment.

as far as your tranny goes, having too much fluid can be a bad idea. and if were you i would drain it to the point where it is right below the higer dot AT cold temps (aka with car having not started). during hot temps the fluid expands and thats why you get that 3-4 mm rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack
It seems the only thing folks in NYC understand is lawyers or the taleban.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-22-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
ns559

Hello guys, I love this site and thanks for the advise. When my wife gets back with the car; she is on an all day shopping trip with her sister until the store closes (I don't think I'll ever, ever understand how women do that) . Anyways, Im going to check the ATF fluid while its parked for a while. Im going to take the advise from you guys and check the ATF fluid when the car has not been started, probable tomorrow now, since the Seattle/Carolina playoff is still on. I thought it was best to check the ATF fluid while the car is running and have been running for a while because thats what I did originally. That might be the answer why the high ATF fluid when I first checked it. If it is determined to be too high, Im going to drain it some time later this week to the proper level. I hope it doesn't get too messy.... BTW, Benjamming, my car just hit the 60K mark this week. ugh.... that is why I am doing some maintenence on it. Also, this has nothing to do with the ATF but my 6disc cd changer is stuck, thats another story......*hmmmm......

post #11 of 20 Old 01-22-2006, 09:16 PM
ready to go....

Where in "central CA" are you hailing from???
post #12 of 20 Old 01-23-2006, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
ns559

Princess, I'm from Fresno Ca. about a 3 hour drive from Antioch.

post #13 of 20 Old 01-23-2006, 05:21 PM
ready to go....

I know that area a little ..our daughter lives in Sanger. She graduated from Fresno St. We try to do as much as possible on I-5 before going over to 99. It's a better road & has more pee stops!!
post #14 of 20 Old 01-26-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
ns559

Hello guys, I finally got time to drain my transmission fluid to the right level. The mark is between the 2 dots when the engine has not been started also if I check it while the engine is running, the mark is right below the 2 dots. Thank you for the advise. Princess, lol, your right I-5 is a much better traveling road than 99. As far as pee stop, anyware is good for me.

post #15 of 20 Old 01-26-2006, 06:01 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
now, just don't look at it wrong so that it changes again.....

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.