How involved is rear main seal change? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-08-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

How involved is rear main seal change?

I tried to search but couldn't find what I was looking for. My pre purchase inspector noticed 2 drops of oil on the rear main seal and suggested that it may need replacing. Is this somthing that I should only allow the dealer to do or should any certified mechanic be able to handle it?

Same question for a motor mount for a V6 1999 Accord.

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-08-2010, 05:57 PM
banned

My 99 civic started to leak at the main seal after I switch from dino oil to synthetic. I switched back and it didn't stop leaking. The dealer said it would be around $1000 to replace the seal. That's a no brainer. I had to add between 4 and 12 ounces per month depending on how much I drove. The oil on the garage floor was a pain, but I wasn't about to waste that much money on a 10 year old car. Are you looking at buying this car? From a Honda dealer?

post #3 of 14 Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 PM

If the front motor mount is bad, it comes out with the front half of the subframe as it comes out as well as the trans to do the rear main, if indeed it's leaking.

The J30 does have some issues with block porosity behind the flywheel. Also, if any oil leaks in the valley of the engine it will end up near the rear of the engine due to the drain hole in the valley. Same goes for any high up oil leak on the flywheel end of the engine, it usually migrates right down into the bottom of the bell housing.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock

post #4 of 14 Old 03-08-2010, 09:18 PM
5th Gear

I had my RMS go bad on my '99 AV6 as well. It requires removing of the transmission. The dealer was quoting me $900 to change a $15 part!!! Ridiculous!

2008 Accord Sedan EX A/T
Alabaster Silver Metallic
Tints, Trunk Tray, Splash Guards, 3M Clear Bra, TSX Switchblade, Roof Spoiler

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S
Silver
BONE STOCK!

1999 Accord Sedan EX V6 - R.I.P. :(
Heather Mist Metallic, 175k miles!
AEM Intake, Helix TB Spacer

Need a detailer in Phoenix? PM me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-09-2010, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks to all who replied. I just bought the Accord for my 16 year old daughter. It only has 80K miles and my pre purchase inspector saw a few drops of oil that he said were caused by the rear main seal. There is no question that I will be getting it repaired. My original question was whether or not I should pay 200 - 300 more to have the dealer do it or if it is something that a qualified independent shop could handle?

I'm more interested in that answer than opinions on whether or not I should do it. Please advise.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Out of Control

KayGee,

It's major surgery, so I'd go with the dealer or a reputable import shop that has done this type of work before. No AAMCO, Firestone, etc. Problem is I've found that the good import shops here charge nearly as much as the dealer.

First you may want to get the engine bay clean top to bottom and then get a second opinion on the source of the leak.

2010 PMM Accord LX-P, TSX rear sway, GG lower grille, 35% tint, 50K+
2006 Toyo Sienna LE, 100K+
2002 Accord SE (sold), TL rear sway and upper strut bars
post #7 of 14 Old 03-09-2010, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post
KayGee,

It's major surgery, so I'd go with the dealer or a reputable import shop that has done this type of work before. No AAMCO, Firestone, etc. Problem is I've found that the good import shops here charge nearly as much as the dealer.

First you may want to get the engine bay clean top to bottom and then get a second opinion on the source of the leak.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. The engine was cleaned by the selling dealer and that is why it was easy for my independent inspector to isolate the source of the leak. For a $1,000+ repair I think I will feel better about letting the dealer do it.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-09-2010, 05:42 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayGee View Post
For a $1,000+ repair I think I will feel better about letting the dealer do it.
My dealer sometimes sends out mail/email coupons for 10-15% off of labor. You may want to sign up through email with them, or check to see if they have coupons coming out soon. I'd also respectfully ask them if they can discount the $1K+ price since you're a new customer and "plan to do lots of business with them for years." Worth a shot.

post #9 of 14 Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 AM

I had a Dealer estimate $700 on a rms repair for a 99 I4. 2nd dealer estimated $500. This was prob 3 yrs ago but I'm sure the dealers need the biz right now.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
My dealer sometimes sends out mail/email coupons for 10-15% off of labor. You may want to sign up through email with them, or check to see if they have coupons coming out soon. I'd also respectfully ask them if they can discount the $1K+ price since you're a new customer and "plan to do lots of business with them for years." Worth a shot.
Thanks for that heads up. I checked the dealer's website and they have a 20% discount for cars with over 100K miles. I have an email out to them asking if they will honor for my new to me 1999 with only 80K miles.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Thanks for that heads up. I checked the dealer's website and they have a 20% discount for cars with over 100K miles. I have an email out to them asking if they will honor for my new to me 1999 with only 80K miles.
Take Matt's advice as well and contact a 2nd dealer to see if you can play them against each other on the price. I was able to get my local dealer to knock $70 off the timing belt service recently by doing that.

While you have your wallet open...if you can't verify that your 99 has had the t-belt replaced you should do that as well.

post #12 of 14 Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
...While you have your wallet open...if you can't verify that your 99 has had the t-belt replaced you should do that as well.
Even if it only has 80K on it?
post #13 of 14 Old 03-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Even if it only has 80K on it?
Honda recommends you change it at 84 months or 100K miles, whichever comes first. If that 10+ year old belt snaps your daughter is stranded and you're looking at a $$$ repair.

post #14 of 14 Old 03-10-2010, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Honda recommends you change it at 84 months or 100K miles, whichever comes first. If that 10+ year old belt snaps your daughter is stranded and you're looking at a $$$ repair.
Ok thanks for the advice. Might as well do it also while it is in the shop. Mo money, Mo money.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.