Lexol or Meguiar's for leather? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-18-2008, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Lexol or Meguiar's for leather?

I don't have much choice in my town; mainly Lexol Conditioner or Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner for my seats. I used Lexol for years on my Acura RSX but the side bolsters mainly cracked to hell and I very generously applied the Lexol to it religiously and it still cracked to hell. I think the Canadian tire here may sell the Mothers products as well.

Was that just because the Acura RSX had cheap thin leather seats or are there better products than the much vaunted Lexol? In my 2008 Accorde Coupe should I keep using the Lexol or mayhaps switch to the Meguiars product?

Thanks for any advice!

'08 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe - Polished Metal Metallic
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Leatherique > Lexol > Meguiars

post #3 of 10 Old 06-18-2008, 09:25 AM
TCU

Lexol. I use both the cleaner and the conditioner on all of my cars. Great stuff. Try Vinlex on your dashboard, it's made by the same company. It is much better than other products out there because it doesn't leave a greasy or super shiny finish.

SB

2006 EX-L Coupe 5-MT
Flowmaster Delta 60 - Fujita CAI - Neuspeed Short Shifter - Tl 17mm Sway Bar - OEM Silver Star Wheels - OEM Fog Light Kit - RSX Shift Knob - Window Tint - Parrot Bluetooth Phone System - Alpine Type-S Speakers - 2 10" Kicker Comp Subwoofers - Dynamat Extreme Sound Deadening - Acura TL Key Conversion - USA Spec iPod Adapter

post #4 of 10 Old 06-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to A&Fbro28 Send a message via Yahoo to A&Fbro28
I hate dashboard shine because it reflects back on the glass. I just use a damp rag then a towel.

Desmond,

2013 Honda FIT Sport w/ Navigation
5000k HID's, Leather seats, Full Harmon Kardon System System, Cusco Mid-Brace. 10mm rear spacers, Tanabe Medallion Exhaust, HPS short ram intake and Tein S-Tech springs with race header and more to come

08 Acura TL w/Technology Pkg

08 Taffeta White Honda Accord EX-L w/Navi Coupe (traded-in)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbrindley View Post
Lexol. I use both the cleaner and the conditioner on all of my cars. Great stuff. Try Vinlex on your dashboard, it's made by the same company. It is much better than other products out there because it doesn't leave a greasy or super shiny finish.

SB
I've never actually cleaned the leather, I've always just used Lexol Conditioner before. Is cleaning really necessary? I never eat in my car so no food stains, I guess just the odd tiny bit of perspiration from my lower back until the AC kicks in and cools it down is the only ... "contaminant" I guess. Is cleaning then necessary do you think?

post #6 of 10 Old 06-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawHDuser View Post
Is cleaning then necessary do you think?
Think of it this way...

Would you apply lotion/moisturizer on your skin before you washed/cleansed it?

A leather-cleaner is pH-balanced to be mild, yet still effective in removing dust, dirt, microbes, lint, and other contaminants that would otherwise clog up the pores in the leather - thus preventing proper absorbance of the conditioner.

If you don't want to use a pricey over-the-counter leather-cleaner, you can simply use a mild detergent that is very diluted in water and a damp towel. Then follow-up w/ another damp towel to remove the excess moisture; finish-off w/ a dry towel to dry/cleanup.

Another tip... use the conditioner in a warm, humid environment; it helps the leather absorb as much of the product as possible!

The key to keeping leather looking supple over the long-term is to keep it healthy, meaning keeping it 'breathable'.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-18-2008, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris_x11 View Post
Think of it this way...

Would you apply lotion/moisturizer on your skin before you washed/cleansed it?

The key to keeping leather looking supple over the long-term is to keep it healthy, meaning keeping it 'breathable'.
Hmmm good analogy, thanks, I never thought about it that way. I think I'd lean towards the Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner then as it will accomplish both things...

Would that be good?

post #8 of 10 Old 06-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawHDuser View Post
Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner then as it will accomplish both things...

Would that be good?
I've used that over the years w/ great success!

But, to be entirely honest... the best leather-care product(s) I've ever used on my car leather-interiors has been the leather-care kit I got w/ my home leather sofas, no lie!

Here's how I would rate various car-oriented products...

1-step cleaner/conditioner

O.k.:
Good:
Better:
Best:

2-step cleaner/conditioner

O.k.:
Good:
Better:
Best:
post #9 of 10 Old 06-18-2008, 09:18 PM
2nd Gear

Pinnacle

It is expensive but worth it and lasts a few years. I used it in 2 Saab convertibles I owned--a 1997 and 2003. Saab leather is very firm and cracks easily, especially in convertibles. They sell a kit with a cleaner and conditioner. I use wax applicator pads to apply it. You would be shocked at how dirty the cleaning applicator would be--lifted out all kinds of grime that was not apparant by looking at the seats. It has an SPF in it too. If it kept the convertible leather in good shape I assume it would work even better for a sedan.

If you want to go real hard core get Connelly's Hide Food. It is used by Concourse car collectors on antique leather.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris_x11 View Post
I've used that over the years w/ great success!

But, to be entirely honest... the best leather-care product(s) I've ever used on my car leather-interiors has been the leather-care kit I got w/ my home leather sofas, no lie!

Here's how I would rate various car-oriented products...

1-step cleaner/conditioner

O.k.:
Good:
Better:
Best:

2-step cleaner/conditioner

O.k.:
Good:
Better:
Best:
I picked up more Lexol AND the Meguiar's Gold Class Conditioner/Cleaner yesterday, I did a bunch more Googling and lots of love for Lexol seems to be the standard, but I've never cleaned the leather and am a bit lazy so would prob use the cleaner/conditioner and alternate every couple of months with the Lexol.

The reason why Lexol semed to let me down before was that the side bolsters in my former Acura RSX really cracked/creased to hell, even though I practically bathed them in the Lexol damn near to the point of over-conditioning. I hope that it was jut a result of them being a cheap leather seat, and my new Accord having higher quality/better leather (hopefully?)

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.