Automatic transmission oil change - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 01-16-2005, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Automatic transmission oil change

I changed the automatic transmission fluid at about 36,700 miles if you can change your own oil & filter you can change the trans oil with no problem heres what u will need....

For a 2003 accord automatic

1)3/8 racket (the drain plug is a square shape that the ratchet fits right into no sockets needed)
2)A new drain plug washer p/n 90471-px4-000
3)4 quarts of transmission fluid (ATF-Z1) p/n 08200-9001
4)torque wrench
5)3/8 extension
6)drain pan

Warm car up till the radiator fan comes on,than turn off and look under the front of the car you will see the bottom of the transmission on the right side (towards the passanger side) you will see the bolt going in on the side (the one with the square box shape)loosen with the 3/8rachet and than put your drain pan under and use the 3/8 extension on it to remove the bolt so you dont get oil on yourself.clean off the drain plug and remove and install a new drain plug washer (flat side of the washer goes towards transmission case the bevel goes towards the drain plug)
install drain bolt and tighten to 36 ft lbs.Refill transmission thought the dip stick to the upper mark (go slow and take your time you can always add more but its hard to remove if over filled)
My car took alittle over 3 quarts but it may vary on yours.Make sure you install the fill dip stick into the groove on the fill tube.Start engine and check for any leaks.Take for a ride around the block and recheck the level.

2003 accord EXL 4 door
silver
4 cyl
83,652 miles
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-08-2005, 08:37 AM
2nd Gear

i am planning on changing the my ATF soon...my 2004 I4 AT is at 39K

do y'all have anything to add to the above method? is there a need to do another drain refill after 2K?

also, would you recommend changing the ATF filter? how accessible is it?

thanks!

2004 Accord LX I4 AT Silver Sedan
post #3 of 29 Old 10-09-2005, 07:33 PM
2nd Gear

also, where is teh best place to buy genuine honda ATF?

post #4 of 29 Old 10-09-2005, 07:39 PM
6th Gear

There's only one place to buy Honda ATF-Z1 fluid & that's the dealer. Of course which dealer you buy from will depend what your local dealer charges and if you want to purchase on the web.

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT Auto Coupe
post #5 of 29 Old 10-13-2005, 06:58 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamming
There's only one place to buy Honda ATF-Z1 fluid & that's the dealer. Of course which dealer you buy from will depend what your local dealer charges and if you want to purchase on the web.
w00t! i finally changed my ATF for the first time 39K...i was surprised at how brown the fluid looked when i drained it

i got the fluid from the dealer this time...do you know any dealers that sell stuff over the web?

post #6 of 29 Old 10-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

post #7 of 29 Old 10-13-2005, 08:24 AM
5th Gear

Yes, you should change the filter. On the I4 it's inline, and on the v6, it's inside the tranny a bit... if you search for tranny filter you'll probably find my posts about it.... pretty much everybody was changing the tranny oil and had no idea there was a serviceable filter.

Durka Durka
post #8 of 29 Old 10-13-2005, 06:35 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF
i can't seem to find any on their site

post #9 of 29 Old 10-13-2005, 07:56 PM
O do u know the buffinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneValgene
i can't seem to find any on their site
You probably will not. I don't believe Tim can ship fluids

I1
post #10 of 29 Old 10-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

OOOPPPS! Sorry, that didn't occur to me. Even if they could it would likey be easier just to go buy it from a local dealer. The shipping would likely eat up any potential savings.
post #11 of 29 Old 10-14-2005, 05:48 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF
OOOPPPS! Sorry, that didn't occur to me. Even if they could it would likey be easier just to go buy it from a local dealer. The shipping would likely eat up any potential savings.
that makes sense!

post #12 of 29 Old 10-14-2005, 04:20 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector1
You probably will not. I don't believe Tim can ship fluids

I1
Why not? That doesn't make sense to me. Oil & ATF aren't considered hazardous by USPS. I have UPS ship me cases of oil & ATF from AMSOIL. For what we are talkinga about, as long as the average flashpoint is above 200F, it's not considered hazardous.

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT Auto Coupe
post #13 of 29 Old 10-14-2005, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

When you change the tranny filter on the I4 do you just remove and replace? Is there any bleeding the system etc?

2003 accord EXL 4 door
silver
4 cyl
83,652 miles
post #14 of 29 Old 10-14-2005, 07:52 PM
O do u know the buffinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamming
Why not? That doesn't make sense to me. Oil & ATF aren't considered hazardous by USPS. I have UPS ship me cases of oil & ATF from AMSOIL. For what we are talkinga about, as long as the average flashpoint is above 200F, it's not considered hazardous.
I know it's not but that is what he told me

I1
post #15 of 29 Old 12-03-2005, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

is this the same instrustions for a 91 accord automatic trans.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.