Does wax prevent paint from peeling? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Does wax prevent paint from peeling?

Thought crossed my mind when I read about honda civic paint peeling a few years ago, despite owners waxing their cars regularly. I thought wax was supposed to prevent that.

I see a lot of hondas around here with beat up roofs and hoods.

Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

absoluteley not....when clear coat goes, it goes....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My DD:'16 Camaro
post #3 of 7 Old 06-27-2013, 04:49 AM
Carpe Diem

Wax helps prolong the life of your clear coat which helps prevent the paint from peeling. However, once the clear coat is damaged, there is no turning back.

This is why it is so important to use wax/sealant from day one, not after you start noticing problems with the paint.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 AM
1st Gear

I agree. I had a 2003 Accord that ran fantastic, but I neglected the paint. I'd get it detailed maybe twice a year and not much more than that. About two years ago the clear coat started to come up off the paint and the problem just grew from there.

I know that proper washing and waxing won't stop a problem like that developing over time, but I am hoping to prolong the life of the paint before it starts.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

honestly guys, I have checked this with some experts here in Florida in the paint and body business and at dealers...there is no sealant or wax that protects against heavy UV - if the paint is thin like Honda and you expose the car to heavy UV in sunny states, it's gonna go no matter what in about 8-10 years....

all good maintenance does is keep the surface "sealed" against dirt and things getting under the paint to destroy it, a diff situation...

it's why my car sits under a tree and I protect it against sap and stuff vs out on the UV....you can't believe how many hondas here in florida look like this:

Ihave this before too - start at post 11 or so:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

A body shop guy also once told me you can wax the paint right off the car with all the buffing. I don't know how true that is with microfiber towels.

But, if wax can prolong the clear coat, then technically shouldn't waxing monthly provide a sufficient sacrificial layer to prevent clear coat peeling on new paint?

If not, it brings me back to a thought I had before- Using plastidip on horizontal surfaces to add a sacrificial layer.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdburger View Post

If not, it brings me back to a thought I had before- Using plastidip on horizontal surfaces to add a sacrificial layer.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.