Good Brake Pad Upgrade - Let Me Hear Your Opinions - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 25 Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
banned

Thanks for the info guys, some good feedback here! I think I'm going with the centric rotors and centric pads. The e-coating should hold up well for me since I live in the south where snow/salt spray isn't much of a factor. I'll likely order them this week and have my mechanic install them next week.

Again, thanks for the help in choosing a good braking setup.

Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 05-20-2013, 12:39 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
Good morning guys! I need to hear some opinions on what brake pads are out there that will offer better stopping performance than stock OEM pads without breaking the bank so to speak. I will be using the stock rotors (after machining/resurfacing) but want something a little better than the OEM units. Also I would like to stick with pads that remain quiet and do not dust up the wheels too bad. Or are the OEM units best to stick with? I see brands such as Akebono and Centric mentioned on other Accord forums but have no knowledge of them.

Reason for asking is I took my Accord in to the dealership to get the coolant drained and refilled and they informed me my front brake pads were at 4mm and the rears at 2.5mm. I had the fronts replaced about 50k miles ago, but going to re-do front and rear this time of course (I know the service limit goes down to less than 2mm, but I can tell they're really diminished compared to other Accords with newer brakes). They quoted me ~$180 for the fronts and ~$160 for the rear including resurfacing the rotors. However I have a good family friend who runs his own shop that I trust my car with and will order the parts myself and have him install them for much cheaper than the "stealership" wants.

So if you don't mind, I'd love to hear your opinions on what would be a good brake pad setup to use, since there are only a million different pads out there to choose from haha. Thanks guys.
Consider Autozone. Seriously.

In March 2009 I replaced my front pads and rotors with Hawk HPS and Brembo blank rotors. They were toast in two years. They did performance very well, but dusted like crazy!

In March of 2011 I bought pads and rotors at Autozone. Duralast C-MAX ceramic pads and Duralast Gold rotors IIRC. The pads have a lifetime warranty and the rotors a 2 year warranty. The pads are better than stock and almost as good as the Hawk (plus they are low dust).

Come January of this year, I could tell the rotors were being to warp again. Called Autozone, bought replacements, changed the old ones out and took them back and got my money back. Nothing like free pads and rotors! Didn't give me any hassle or grief. Now I have a new 2 year warranty on the new rotors and a lifetime on the new pads. I won't have to pay for front brakes again.

-Craig
His: 2004 Accord EX Coupe V6 6spd W/Nav
Hers: 2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport 4WD
post #18 of 25 Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I bought the NAPA ultra premium rotors (with the black coating) to replace the original rotors at 100k miles. The Honda rotors were just way too expensive IMO, and don't have the coated hat and vanes. The Honda pads lasted 50k miles, don't make a lot of dust, stop better than my Chevy, and MOST importantly don't make a sound. So I decided to stick with the Honda pads. The ultra premium rotors from NAPA were about $45 for rears and $55 for the front rotors. I got the pads from an online Honda dealership for less than the local dealership. I know I could have paid less for rotors online, but if the rotors had a defect I would have to ship them back, and wait for replacements. There was a small chip on one of the NAPA rotors, but I returned it and got a replacement the next day. It would have taken much longer to get a replacement from an online seller.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 14,000 miles so far

post #19 of 25 Old 05-20-2013, 06:16 PM

I like Brembo blanks (not drilled or slotted) rotors when I can get them. My second choice are the NAPA Ultra Premiums. They are relabeled Raybestos rotors with a lifetime warranty instead of two years and, last time I looked, were made in USA.

I've run Akebono ProAct Ceramic pads on five different Hondas now, with very good results. I don't see the lack of initial bite/lower cold friction others have commented on, but maybe I just don't notice. The Centric rotors and Duralast C-max pads and rotors get consistently good reviews here.

A few comments:

I agree with not turning the rotors, especially if you've had judder (vibration - what some call warped rotors.) I subscribe to the theory that judder is caused by uneven debris layer deposits, which are typically caused by a rotor getting cooked locally, changing the metal structure. Usually this happens when a cap is stopped with really hot pads. But some rotors are more vulnerable than others to a heat soak, which is why I say stick with rotors labeled with a brand that will stand behind them.

NAPA AdaptiveOne pads are junque. Stay away.

Changing brake fluid is a good idea and not too hard. Whether you do it or pay to have it done, be sure to check the manual, because the bleeding instructions are sometimes different for Accords (the order is "backwards" vs most other cars.)

"Communication isn't what you say. It's what they hear." - Red Auerbach

2015 EX-L V6, Modern Steel/Black
2007 SE I4 5AT, Cool Blue, 77k

Also in the family:

2009 TSX, navy, auto
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Ltd
2015 Crosstour V6, black
2013 Civic EX, gray
2014 Honda HRX217 (2)

Departed:
2004 EX I4 5MT, Desert Mist, 175,552
2001 Accord EX I4 5MT, Satin Silver, oil slick at 86K
1999 EX-LV, Heather Mist, 146,567
1994 Accord LX I4 5 MT ABS, Malachite Green, 285k
post #20 of 25 Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 PM
3rd Gear

Shortly after buying my '03 three years ago, I did front and rear brakes. I bought Raybestos rotors and Hawk pads. The rear pads are still on the car and work great, as are the rotors. After a while I began to notice heavy brake dust on the front. Not to mention that the Hawk pads would get very "grabby" after any series of stop and go or heavy braking. The opposite of what you would expect, but you would literally be propelled forward when braking, even moderately, and the nose of the car would dive. I pulled the Hawks off of the front and installed Pep Boys ProStop Platinum pads (about a year ago) and haven't had either issue since.

On a side note, I purchased Centric pads and rotors all the way around for my 2006 Lexus IS350 (also about three years ago) and love them. They stop quickly, make no noise whatsoever and generate very little dust. Check RockAuto.com before you buy. They offer great brands and prices are great. I buy from them quite frequently.
post #21 of 25 Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 PM
3rd Gear

Which brand/type of pads don't dust? I bought new pads and they dust my wheels super quick, like within 2 weeks they go from silver to dark grey...and I HATE it.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-21-2013, 02:51 AM
Out of Control

I bought Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic front pads from Advance Auto. They came with a rebate and limited lifetime warranty. Very good braking, quiet, with little or no dust and they LAST! Been on the same front pads since Nov, 2010 and lots of meat left on them. The warranty will allow me a new set when these wear out. Best deal I've seen around.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 25 Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 AM
Dan
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumoozay View Post
Which brand/type of pads don't dust? I bought new pads and they dust my wheels super quick, like within 2 weeks they go from silver to dark grey...and I HATE it.
Ceramics dust little compared to organic/semi-metallic

3.0-AT (7th Generation)
Notchback-stroker 410- 527 RWHP on nitrous
post #24 of 25 Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
banned

I ended up going with the Duralast Gold Cmax pads and their Gold rotors. The local Autozone had everything in stock yesterday so I went ahead with the purchase. I also picked up some spray on flat black caliper paint that I will use to paint the hoods, vanes, and backsides this weekend to prevent rust and have that nicer look. I'll then get my mechanic to install it all next week as well as flush/replace the brake fluid.

I figure I'll do like one or two of the posters earlier said about the rotors and pads...once it gets close to 2 years just buy new ones and install them, take the old ones in and get my money back and keep the warranty going.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to having new brakes on her again.
post #25 of 25 Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

ordered a set of these, ordered the tsx set since i have the v6-6speed brake upgrade. Heard alot of great reviews on Azine about these and for a very fair price.

2006 Honda Accord LX V6
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.