DIY Brake pad replacement on 2005 sedan - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Question DIY Brake pad replacement on 2005 sedan

Hi all

I'm looking to replace my front brake pads for the first time. I've scoured the web for the perfect tutorial, but can't seem to find one for the 05. Çan anyone recommend a YouTube tutorial which would mirror the process for the 05? I've got a little apprehension about digging into such a vital component.

Thanks!

Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 05:34 AM
6th Gear

same as the 06 and 07...

post #3 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidskin View Post
Hi all

I'm looking to replace my front brake pads for the first time. I've scoured the web for the perfect tutorial, but can't seem to find one for the 05. Çan anyone recommend a YouTube tutorial which would mirror the process for the 05? I've got a little apprehension about digging into such a vital component.

Thanks!
No need for the apprehension, it's a pretty easy job. This is not a video, but it outlines the steps.

http://radio-pro.ru/forums/sh...6174#post76174

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 06:30 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
No need for the apprehension, it's a pretty easy job. This is not a video, but it outlines the steps.

That is a great DIY..........

2016 Volkswagen Passat VR6

Previously: 9 Accords from 1990-2014
post #5 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post

Cool, thanks for the link. I took a look and it seems to make sense. What about the step using the c-clamp that I've seen in some other videos? I think that's where I've gotten a bit lost.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 AM
5th Gear

I usually take a turkey baster and take out some of the brake fluid so it does not overflow.

Then before you put the caliper back on, I use on old brake pad and the C clamp to push the piston back in. Just do it as a last step, top off the brake fluid and you should be good to go. Just take your time and push the piston back on slowly.

2016 Volkswagen Passat VR6

Previously: 9 Accords from 1990-2014

Last edited by ncelk; 03-08-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: additional content
post #7 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidskin View Post
Cool, thanks for the link. I took a look and it seems to make sense. What about the step using the c-clamp that I've seen in some other videos? I think that's where I've gotten a bit lost.
Since the pads old pads are worn and thinner than the new pads, the caliper piston is extended further out. You will use the C clamp to push it back in so it will fit over the new pads. You can also accomplish this using a large set of channel locks. If using this method, place one of the old pads on the piston to keep it level. You don't want the piston to lean while it's being pushed down as this can break the seal.

While you're doing this, the brake fluid is being pushed back too and will rise in the reservior so you may want to put an old rag under it. Remember to check fluid when it's all done.

Lastly and most importantly, turn on the car and pump the brake a few times before driving. The instructions say this, but in a roundabout way...I'd rather be direct. LOL

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #8 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 AM
6th Gear

If you are not sure how to do it dont or have someone that does near by...
post #9 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 AM
BRWNFLSH now

If you decide to do the rear disk brakes at some point, the C-clamp method will not work to push the piston back in. You have to turn the piston clockwise (most people use a large needle-nose pliers) and push in at the same time, then line up the slot in the piston with the tab on the inner brake pad. As long as you do not loosen the bleed bolt, you should not have to bleed the system, however, you might want to think about replacing the brake fluid in the near future. It is recommended to change the brake fluid every 3 years, regardless of mileage. Have you checked the rear pads? They usually wear before the front pads on this generation Accord.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 14,000 miles so far
post #10 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszappa1 View Post
If you are not sure how to do it dont or have someone that does near by...
And watch that person do it so you can learn.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP
post #11 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 10:12 AM
2008 Honda Accord V6 EX-L

Send a message via AIM to korrupt3dazn Send a message via Skype™ to korrupt3dazn
Here is a pretty good DIY video

In the video how ever he removed the entire caliper. Which isnt needed you can just removed the bottom bolt and then swing the caliper upwards. You can refer to post #7 on this link for a picture of what im talking about.

2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe w/ Navi

Previous Cars:
2004 Accord EX-L I4
2000 Accord EX V6
post #12 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 10:36 AM
'09 TL SH AWD Tech

One minor addition to the above quoted DIY link. When installing the flange bolt (D in the diagram) soak it with anti-sieze lubrication. I use with excellent results. Just to be on the safe side of rust, take out the other bolt too (the top one) and soak that too. If these things sieze, its bye bye caliper.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 AM
6th Gear

And grease the calipar sliding bolts....
post #14 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 AM
2nd Gear

I just picked up some C-max gold front pads from Autozone today and plan to change out the pads on my 06 sedan next week. I have had the dealership do everything on this car since the day I bought it new but could not swallow paying labor on a job I know how to do. After paying my $60.00 for the pads I wondered how much money am I saving. I searched the forums for a dealership average cost to replace front pads but could not find anything.

Side note: This seems to be a common issue. "I searched but could not find it" is plastered all over this site.

Anyway does anyone know what a dealer would likely have charged me to do this job?

2012 Accord SE Taffeta White + 2009 Odyssey EX
post #15 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 11:14 AM
06 6MT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrady III View Post
I just picked up some C-max gold front pads from Autozone today and plan to change out the pads on my 06 sedan next week. I have had the dealership do everything on this car since the day I bought it new but could not swallow paying labor on a job I know how to do. After paying my $60.00 for the pads I wondered how much money am I saving. I searched the forums for a dealership average cost to replace front pads but could not find anything.

Side note: This seems to be a common issue. "I searched but could not find it" is plastered all over this site.

Anyway does anyone know what a dealer would likely have charged me to do this job?
At least $100. Probably more. $60 is pretty high for pads. I usually spend around $40.

2006 Accord Sedan 6MT Navi
Audio Control LC6I / Rockford Fosgate R600X5 / Infinity Reference 9633cf / Infinity Reference 6030cs / Rockford Fosgate Punch P1-2X10 / Parrot MK6000 / Diode Dynamics 6000K HID Low Beams / DDM 3000K HID Factory Fogs / Diode Dynamcs Stage II LED Conversion / Backup Camera / Mid Muffler Delete / Dynomax Exhaust Resonator / Fujita CAI / 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar / Tein S Tech Springs / Tokico Blues / Ingalls Camber Kit / Ingalls Stiffy
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.