Rear brake caliper doesn't compress? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-19-2005, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
1996 Accord EX 2.2L

Rear brake caliper doesn't compress?

This is a really great & well informed site.

I'm replacing my rear brake pads and rotors. I was trying to compress caliper piston with the big C-clamp and it wouldn't budge. I was reading another post where on of this sites experts said that a screw driver needed to be used to turn piston before compressing. Will this apply to my 96 EX?

Cheers,

Jeffmo

Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-19-2005, 09:43 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
It's threaded so you'll need to turn it ALL the way in.....

post #3 of 21 Old 12-21-2005, 01:14 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

You either need a big screwdriver and turn it as you're compressing it or you can rent a brake caliper compressor from auto zone. It's much easier with the tool. It looks like a reverse C clamp.

post #4 of 21 Old 12-21-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
1996 Accord EX 2.2L

Thanks for the help

I went to Harbor Tool Co. and purchased the caliper kit. I couldn't get either side to turn without it. Pads were complete worn down on both sides. Nothing like waiting until the very last minute to do work. I still saved money .

New rotors $32. ( set )
Pads $26.
tool $19.95

This forum ROCKS!!!
post #5 of 21 Old 12-21-2005, 05:35 PM
6th Gear

Why did you buy new rotors?

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT Auto Coupe
post #6 of 21 Old 12-22-2005, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
1996 Accord EX 2.2L

I took the original ones to two different shops...they wouldn't perform the grind. It would have been the fourth time they were resurfaced. Besides the fact that shops charge $10. to $12. per side to turn and the new rotors were $16. per side
post #7 of 21 Old 10-11-2008, 07:51 AM
2nd Gear

can't get rear caliper off

1995 EX, never changed rear pads with 154k miles. started grinding about a week ago so i'm trying to change pads but cannot get the caliper apart to get to the pads. removed the 2 bolts but think the caliper might be siezed on the pads.

any ideas on how to break loose? been using a hammer to try to tap and break loose fo an hour but with no luck.

thanks for any help.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Uh, did you by any chance have the parking brake engaged?

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-11-2008, 08:39 AM

You could have gotten a tool for $5 at a parts store. It's kinda like a cube and attaches to a ratchet.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #10 of 21 Old 10-11-2008, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
Uh, did you by any chance have the parking brake engaged?
man don't i feel like an idiot. thank you for pointing this out. i would have been beating on that thing all day.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocode View Post
man don't i feel like an idiot. thank you for pointing this out. i would have been beating on that thing all day.
no problem, sometimes the most obvious answer is right under our noses!

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

post #12 of 21 Old 10-11-2008, 01:29 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to WolfpackBill
You can also use a crow bar. That's what I used when I replaced the rear pads. I think you need a big c-clamp for the front calipers. Much simpler!

Billy
'06 Honda Accord EX-L - Carbon Bronze/Black

Mods:
Fog lights, autodimming mirror, USASpec iPod adaptor, LED backup lights, cathode lights in trunk, fog light mod, Inspire taillights, 35% tints, HID retro w/TSX projectors, lip spoiler, TL switchblade key, TL 17mm rear sway, TSX signal mirrors, TL rims
post #13 of 21 Old 08-11-2009, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess View Post
It's threaded so you'll need to turn it ALL the way in.....
My problem is I cant get it all the way in. It moves and rotate ok, but the piston still sticks almost half an inch out. I'm told the handbrake mechanism could be causing this. I disconnected the cable, to my surprise applying lot of pressure on the lever did not make the piston move. Seems to me like I need a new caliper?
post #14 of 21 Old 08-17-2009, 05:55 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
It is possible you need a new caliper. I have to date never seen one that would not screw back in. sometimes it takes a bit of effort. you need to push as you twist it, it will not screw back in by just twisting or just pushing it takes both actions.
post #15 of 21 Old 08-20-2009, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess View Post
It is possible you need a new caliper. I have to date never seen one that would not screw back in. sometimes it takes a bit of effort. you need to push as you twist it, it will not screw back in by just twisting or just pushing it takes both actions.
It does screw back in but not all the way. My sore hands tell me I did twist and push at the same time ;-)

Thanks!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.