Pad replacement & Rotor resurfacing cost? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-22-2016, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Pad replacement & Rotor resurfacing cost?

I got a quote from my mechanic today of $350 -$400 to replace all four pads with "good pads" and to resurface my rotors. Is this reasonable? I had considered doing it myself BUT I just don't have the time right now and the pads are quite thin. I told my dad about it and he said he only got his rotors resurfaced on his vehicles when they "needed it" NOT as standard practice when changing the pads. If I can save the money and just do the pads I'd love to but if I SHOULD do it then I will. Thoughts? Thanks!

Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-22-2016, 08:36 PM
Out of Control

Garage
I'd leave the disks alone unless there's a reason to resurface them. If you do, make sure they use an on-vehicle lathe, otherwise run-out is not taken into consideration. I believe Honda specifies such lathes for dealer brake work.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #3 of 23 Old 03-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Bout it, Bout it

How much is the labor? It should be 2 hrs tops.

I didn't know resurfacing rotors was still a thing. Depending on the person handling the machine, it can either go fine or be a total butcher job.

2018 Hyundai Elantra VE
2002 Honda Accord EX-L SULEV -- 210K miles
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD -- 50K miles
2002 Infiniti I35 -- 130K miles VQ35 BABY!

post #4 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

He charges $80 an hour.

The mechanic referred to it as "turning the rotors" but I think that means resurfacing. The way he described it it sounded like that even if he used different language.

Maybe I'll just get a coupon and take it to Brakes Plus... It would be under $150. granted it would be WITHOUT the resurfacing.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 03:45 AM
4th Gear

DO NOT resurface the rotors. Just replace them with good aftermarket rotors, either Centric or Brembo. As for the pads, go with Stoptech or Brembo. This is the voice of experience talking.

'13 Accord EX-L V6 coupe w/navi, 58K (my daily ride)
'14 Sonata GLS, 23K (wife's grocery getter)
'14 Kia Forte LX, 56K (kid's car at college)
post #6 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 05:05 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt34237 View Post
He charges $80 an hour.

The mechanic referred to it as "turning the rotors" but I think that means resurfacing. The way he described it it sounded like that even if he used different language.
The labor rate sounds normal, maybe a bit high. Most shops around me charge about $72-75/hr.

And yes, by "turning" they mean "resurfacing". I think the term "turning" comes from the fact that they (used to?) put them on a lathe to resurface them. My dad says turning instead of resurfacing. I don't think that's something that's done very often anymore.

If they can't be resurfaced and stay to specifications, just get new ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #7 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 07:36 AM
Out of Control

I haven't resurfaced or replaced a rotor since 1998. It's a waste of time and money. Just put on new pads and roll.

It took me 10 minutes per side to replace my rear brake pads. Even if the fronts are double that it's only gonna take your mechanic an hour. he needs to make more than $80 on a brake job so he's trying to sell you a bill of goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
And yes, by "turning" they mean "resurfacing". I think the term "turning" comes from the fact that they (used to?) put them on a lathe to resurface them.
They still resurface by turning them.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 03-26-2016 at 10:48 AM.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso View Post
DO NOT resurface the rotors. Just replace them with good aftermarket rotors, either Centric or Brembo. As for the pads, go with Stoptech or Brembo. This is the voice of experience talking.
^^^ this.

You don't have time? Do you have time to replace 1 rotor and 1 set of pads each night? I'm sure you do.

Front centric rotor = $35
Rear centric rotor = $28

Pads vary between $30 to $70 / pair, depending on brand and type. You can do the whole job for under $200 given that you have the tools already. You should NEVER resurface rotors because you only take more material away, less heat dissipating capacity. Rotors are so cheap these days, it doesn't make sense to resurface them.
chriso likes this.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #9 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 09:33 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso View Post
I see this alot - recommendations along these lines on a bunch of different car forums.

How hard are some of you on brakes?

I autocrossed (and plentiful 1/4 mile runs) a 3rd Gen F-body (400 ft/lbs of torque with a T5) and I replaced the old stuff with good OEM / better quality rotors and good pads. Along with rebuilding calipers, replacing old lines and flushing the system. I never had any warpage or other brake problems.

When you apply the brakes, do you feel a shake or a vibration?

If not your rotors are likely fine. Take an hour or two out of your week and throw on some new pads and flush the fluid (if you've never done it).

Disc brake pads are ridiculously easy to replace.

Now tearing apart drums and adding new hardware kits and springs is NOT fun....but I still wouldn't pay someone else (whose butt isn't in the driver's seat of the the car they are fixing) to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
You should NEVER resurface rotors because you only take more material away, less heat dissipating capacity. Rotors are so cheap these days, it doesn't make sense to resurface them.
I just can't see it - and I've been driving / wrenching for close to 30 years.

Newer rotors usually don't "warp" when you are talking normal, SANE, even spirited daily driving. Many rotors will get pad build up from certain types of pads. Also many people will have pads put on their vehicle which are too hard / not matched to OEM rotor material thickness - this doesn't help either.

Pads are supposed to be softer than the rotors - so the pads wear when used - not so much the rotor.

I've seen a handful of rotors actually warp over the years.

Two set from the same guy - because he loved to ride the brakes on the track and the street. The other had to be the thinnest rotors I've even seen in my life and the driver of that car had two modes - full go and full stop.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 03-26-2016 at 10:48 AM.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 09:57 AM
7th Gear

That is just too expensive. I've had rotors and pads replaced front and back for less in the past.

I'm using Centric High Carbon rotors and Stoptech pads. Lots of initial bite, pretty good fade resistance, and the dusting isn't terrible. I got the high carbon for the better bite and the black coated rotors.

04 4mt ex-l Satin Silver/Black

Comptech Icebox, Tsx intake manifold, 6-6 front brake conversion with EBC blanks and Green Stuff pads, ADD shifter base bushings, '11 Tsx wheels, Comptech drop springs, TL base rsb, 35% tint, spoiler, fogs, Inspire Zenki headlights, OPT7 led fog light bulbs, led interior bulbs, Gr. 35 battery, DC5 exhaust finisher, Kenwood ddx574bh, JBL gto5ez, Digital Designs CC6.5 / VO components, 1.5F Cap, Digital Designs 510C subwoofer, back up camera
post #11 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 12:41 PM

I have not taken off a rotor, driven using a second car to a shop with it, had someone turn / resurface it, for 6 years now. And for anyone's info, turning a rotor off the wheel hub isn't true to the hub, so the rotor might be turned, but still wobble on the hub when it's put back on. I've had this happen when I was young and dumb. Taking an existing rotor off, driving it to a shop, means more time and gas money to get to the shop to have it turned. So in the end, you end up spending about the same or more as a new rotor. Why wouldn't you go for new rotors anyway especially since it's thicker with better heat dissipation capacity?

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
post #12 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 12:51 PM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
I got a quote from my mechanic today of $350 -$400 to replace all four pads with "good pads" and to resurface my rotors. Is this reasonable? I had considered doing it myself BUT I just don't have the time right now and the pads are quite thin. I told my dad about it and he said he only got his rotors resurfaced on his vehicles when they "needed it" NOT as standard practice when changing the pads. If I can save the money and just do the pads I'd love to but if I SHOULD do it then I will. Thoughts? Thanks!
If the car shakes when braking, the rotors need attention. If it brakes smoothly, swap the pads and be done. If you have the tools, you could do this yourself or with a buddy in under an hour. Otherwise, The price is too high for my taste and I suggest using a local brake shop, or asking what they'll charge for pad replacement only.

Current vehicle:
2014 Honda Accord LX 6MT 103K
easy mods and changes:
*55W HID lowbeam 5000K (Innovited upgrade kit)
*LasFit 9005 HB3 highbeam / DRL 6500k
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net
*All weather floor mats from College Hills Honda
*Gutter Guards behind lower grille

Previous vehicles:
2001 Chevy Prizm 3AT (given away, it was a terrible car...)
1995 Honda Accord DX 5MT (wrecked at 240K)
1989 Honda Civic LX 4AT (wrecked at 180K)
1988 GMC Sierra 1500 5MT (sold at 80K)
post #13 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 12:53 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
I had considered doing it myself BUT I just don't have the time right now and the pads are quite thin.
If you have time to drop the car off or worse, wait at the mechanics, you can do the brakes yourself. If your brakes aren't pulsating, then you don't need to mess with the rotors. Even then, you just replace them.

My last brake job took less than a half hour. I had already lubed the slide pins a few months prior, so it was just a matter of throwing the pads on. Most of the time was spent compressing the calipers.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #14 of 23 Old 03-25-2016, 10:32 AM
Out of Control

I'll go one further that all of y'all.

Ever have a family member say "my brakes are making a funny noise can you look at them?" and when you go out and take a look, all the pad is gone and it's steel on steel? When this happens, the rotor surface looks like cake frosting does when you let it sit and stiffen up and then try to spread it again.

I've seen this a handful of times. The first couple times I did like any good soldier and replaced rotors. The final time it was my wife and I thought to myself "what the hell have I got to lose by not replacing the rotors?" so I just slapped on a set of new pads. I checked them every day and about a week or so later the rotor surface was back to shiny smooth with no braking issues whatsoever. This is why I never replace rotors any more. There's no need to.

I win.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-26-2016, 06:26 AM

That's a hit and miss, depending how much the rotor has been burned. I encountered a sticky rear caliper piston on the rear driver's side and the rotor was never the same again. One other way to fix it is to put on a pair of temporary racing pads to eat off the top layer of the rotor by braking very hard. Hawk has a procedure on this. Once the top layer is off, then you put back the regular pads. But for what it's worth, at $28 for a rear rotor, I just change the rotor. $28 is less than a dinner meal these days.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.