• 1 Post By jimijam
  • 1 Post By teezythakidd
  • 1 Post By jfuredy
  • 1 Post By chris918
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-22-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Tell me about Akebono brake pads

My brake pads are getting pretty thin on all four corners so I might as well do them all at once. I'm thinking about getting Akebono pads since they're highly regarded.

Do they only come in one composition (ceramic), or if not, which is the best to buy for my car?

I'm pretty sure I have the original rotors (146K miles on my car) but they're not warped so I think i'll take a chance on reusing them.

Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-22-2015, 11:02 AM

Ceramic pads are for those who care about little dusting and don't care so much about braking distance. For me personally, I'd like to stop better so I got Hawk HPS instead, they dust like crazy, but I don't care. They are brakes, I want to stop. If you care about the cleanliness of your wheels, then get ceramic pads.

post #3 of 15 Old 03-22-2015, 12:14 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I like the stock ceramic pads because they are perfectly quiet, and they brake just fine for my needs. If you can activate the ABS on dry clean pavement, that's all you need IMO. I'm not hard on brakes, and you obviously aren't either, if you still have your original rotors. If I'm not mistaken, Akebono is an OEM supplier.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far

post #4 of 15 Old 03-22-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
Ceramic pads are for those who care about little dusting and don't care so much about braking distance. For me personally, I'd like to stop better so I got Hawk HPS instead, they dust like crazy, but I don't care. They are brakes, I want to stop. If you care about the cleanliness of your wheels, then get ceramic pads.
If you really want to stop faster, get grippier tires. What limits the stopping distance on any modern car with ABS is the loss of tire adhesion to the road - then the brakes lock up the wheels.

Hawk HPS pads are fine pads but will not stop you any faster than Akebonos or anything else. If anything, you could make an argument that "performance" pads will take LONGER to stop a daily driver because performance pads are optimized for hot friction - i.e., fade resistance - which means cold friction suffers. Brake fade is not a problem for any sane daily driver, so the ceramics are fine.

Pads are likely to feel different, and that is a matter of preference. I have driven Akebono ProActs for years and am very pleased. Some say their initial bite, especially when cold, is less than what they would like. I could not get the ProActs in time on my last change so I put EBC RedStuff on my 07 fronts. They definitely have a bigger initial bite, but they also seem to need more pressure to hold the car at a stop light. Go figure.

"Communication isn't what you say. It's what they hear." - Red Auerbach

2015 EX-L V6, Modern Steel/Black
2007 SE I4 5AT, Cool Blue, 77k

Also in the family:

2009 TSX, navy, auto
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Ltd
2015 Crosstour V6, black
2013 Civic EX, gray
2014 Honda HRX217 (2)

Departed:
2004 EX I4 5MT, Desert Mist, 175,552
2001 Accord EX I4 5MT, Satin Silver, oil slick at 86K
1999 EX-LV, Heather Mist, 146,567
1994 Accord LX I4 5 MT ABS, Malachite Green, 285k
post #5 of 15 Old 03-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Roll Tide!

get them.
teezythakidd likes this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-22-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Where is the cheapest place I can buy them? I think I can buy them locally but the mark up would be ridiculous the way things are around here.

well I just got them on ebay from the cheapest source. Can't wait to put them on!
post #7 of 15 Old 03-22-2015, 03:59 PM
4th Gear

I have them and they are outstanding pads. They stop great with a nice smooth feel. They are easy on the rotors and last a long time.

2006 EX Navi V6-6 Sedan
post #8 of 15 Old 03-22-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reframmellator View Post
If you really want to stop faster, get grippier tires. What limits the stopping distance on any modern car with ABS is the loss of tire adhesion to the road - then the brakes lock up the wheels.

Hawk HPS pads are fine pads but will not stop you any faster than Akebonos or anything else. If anything, you could make an argument that "performance" pads will take LONGER to stop a daily driver because performance pads are optimized for hot friction - i.e., fade resistance - which means cold friction suffers. Brake fade is not a problem for any sane daily driver, so the ceramics are fine.

Pads are likely to feel different, and that is a matter of preference. I have driven Akebono ProActs for years and am very pleased. Some say their initial bite, especially when cold, is less than what they would like. I could not get the ProActs in time on my last change so I put EBC RedStuff on my 07 fronts. They definitely have a bigger initial bite, but they also seem to need more pressure to hold the car at a stop light. Go figure.
I'd like to disagree. The Hawk HPS pads are excellent in both cold and hot conditions. I used to run Axxis Metal Master for years and cold friction on that pad was BAD. I however, cannot attest to the braking distance, obviously I haven't done a scientific test. Just last week, I drove my dad's 2008 Accord with stock pads and my mom's 2005 Acura TL with Duralast... forgot what kind of pads, then my own car, back to back to back. I seriously thought that my dad's car had braking issues, but it really didn't, it's the OEM pads. It didn't have a lot of bite, although I can stop just fine. So I suggest if you really want to find out, get all 3 sets, Akebono, OEM, and something else for testing purpose. But it'll run you quite a bit of money. Hawk HPS has a lot of instant bite cold and hot, I know, because I've made emergency braking while in the snow while the pads were stone cold after cruising on the highway for a while.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-22-2015, 06:14 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris918 View Post
Where is the cheapest place I can buy them?
I get most my parts and fluids off Amazon.
7gAccCarter likes this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #10 of 15 Old 03-22-2015, 06:29 PM
BRWNFLSH now

It depends on what you are used to. When I drive the Chevy Truck it feels like the brakes have need a good bleeding or have air in the system (they don't). My wife used to complain that the Accord brakes were grabby, before she got used to them. The Accord certainly doesn't need more initial bite.
In a panic stop, I think most people quickly hit the brakes with enough force to activate the ABS, with any pads.
If I were using (or abusing) the brakes enough to where I was experiencing brake fade with the ceramic pads, I would consider performance pads.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #11 of 15 Old 03-23-2015, 07:23 AM
4th Gear

You can get them from

2004 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6MT
post #12 of 15 Old 03-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Just here for the food

i love them so far. had on the OEMs when i got the car, which i presume are "rebranded" akebonos? whatever. swapped the OEMs with the akebonos last week and needless to say, they aren't much of an "upgrade", per se (since they are basic, non-"performance" pads), but they are a very noteworthy replacement. FWIW, i wouldn't second guess them. i have the ProAct 787s. they're like $45 on amazon!
jimijam likes this.

'09 EX-L Sedan L4 "Nina" | NH578
Current mods:
  • LED interior lights (warm white dome + map | blue courtesy/door)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 6000k COB LED Bar DRL/Fogs (just for looks) INOP

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • NOKYA Hyper Yellows for DRLs/Highs
Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein
post #13 of 15 Old 03-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Honda Buff

The Akebono pads do come in different grades, although I'm pretty sure that they are both ceramic. I am running (ASP###) pads on my coupe, but I'm running the series (ACT###) on my wife's CRV. I am happy with them both, but I think in the future I will only be getting the ASP pads. Since both have been completely silent, the only difference (according to Tire Rack's very scientific ratings) is slightly higher dusting for slightly better stopping power. And since I haven't noticed any significant dusting on the wife's CRV, I'll be using ASPs in the future.

Edit:
I ordered mine off of Amazon.com. And when I went back to check the pricing, I am reminded of one of the reasons I went with ACT on the CRV: the ASP pads ARE about 50% more expensive than the "basic" ACT pads.
teezythakidd likes this.

Joe
'06 Accord Coupe EX-L V6-6MT - Alabaster Silver Metallic (
)
'14 Civic LX-CVT Sedan
'06 CR-V EX-AT - Nighthawk Black Pearl

Previous Hondas
'83 Accord Hatchback
'96 Civic Coupe EX I4-5MT - Milano Red (Love this color)
'98 Accord Sedan EX I4-5MT - Taffeta White
'01 Accord Sedan EX I4-5MT - Naples Gold Metallic

"Pro tip: If your headlights light up the seats and back of the driver's head in the car in front of you, you need to aim your headlights downward."
- enne
post #14 of 15 Old 03-29-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Put the basic ceramic pads on all four corners today on my 05. Between that and the valvoline dot 3/4 fluid flush the brakes feel great! Happy with akebono pads so far.
jimijam likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chris918 For This Useful Post:
jimijam (03-29-2015)
post #15 of 15 Old 03-29-2015, 08:37 PM
I <3 My Honda

I love my akebono pads Been running them for years

Ben

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 07/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.