[VIDEO] Grinding noise when braking at low speeds and reversing - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-30-2014, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

[VIDEO] Grinding noise when braking at low speeds and reversing

Just replaced my front brake pads and rotors because my car had been making this nasty grinding sound when I would start braking at low speeds. It was almost constant, even if I would get into my car and reverse about to leave it would start making this loud whining type sound til put in Drive and started heading down the road. It drives me crazy cause it doesn't happen all the time but it happens most of the time. Sometimes even when I'm doing highway speeds and I have to apply the brakes it will make the grinding/scraping sound. It's kind of embarrassing. But even after the new rotors/pads in the fronts I still hear the problem, it isn't as bad, but still there. I even took some short videos the other day to show how it sounds and when it happens. If anyone could help out it would be great! How could I post the videos here in the thread as well?

Videos:

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-30-2014, 08:40 AM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcontreras910 View Post
How could I post the videos here in the thread as well?
Post to YouTube...then post the link here by clicking "Advance", then find the blue link button just under the white smiley face.

post #3 of 8 Old 11-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Shiny.

This happened to me a couple years back when I had my '94. I would check the dust shields to see if they're bent. Did you grease up the caliper pins?

'94 Accord LX Coupe MT - RIP

'03 Accord EX-L Coupe AT (4-cylinder)

"If you are clinically insane, by which I mean you wake up in the morning, and you think you are an onion, this is your car." - Jeremy Clarkson

post #4 of 8 Old 11-30-2014, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Alright i'ma put some links up to the videos one is just normal braking and the other is braking at highway speeds. And I did grease up the pins. I will clean them and regrease them some more but what would you consider the best thing to use on them is?

post #5 of 8 Old 12-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Shiny.

I just use the CRC brake and caliper grease.

After listening to the videos, it sounds (to me) like the brakes are still engaged, hence the squealing. Just out of curiosity, is there any sponginess in the brake pedal?

'94 Accord LX Coupe MT - RIP

'03 Accord EX-L Coupe AT (4-cylinder)

"If you are clinically insane, by which I mean you wake up in the morning, and you think you are an onion, this is your car." - Jeremy Clarkson
post #6 of 8 Old 12-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Carpe Diem

Did the pads have a metal wear indicator on them? Are you sure you didn't accidentally bend it while installing the pads so it's hitting too early?
post #7 of 8 Old 12-01-2014, 02:39 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Sounds a lot like the clips at the end of the pads are rubbing on the rotor. Check the clips to make sure they are not touching the rotor. I think it was Mike, who posted a video on this years ago. I don't have the link.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 14,000 miles so far
post #8 of 8 Old 12-09-2014, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear

First off make sure the correct slide pins are in the right spot. The slide pins that have the beveled flat sides should be on the trailing side of the caliper. In the front that would be on the bottom, not top. The grinding sound is fairly common with certain ceramic compounds in the pad itself. If the calipers aren't stuck and the pins are in the right spot and sliding freely, then I would switch to a different pad.
Advertisement

Tags
accord, brakes, grinding, noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.