Replace struts myself or not? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-29-2014, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Replace struts myself or not?

Hello Honda aficionados,
I need some wise advice. My struts need replacing...rough riding and creakier handling. I took it to my mechanic, an honest one, for a quote on full assemblies.

He recommended Monroe assemblies and quoted me $1436 tax total for four struts (after a $255 rebate, a "buy three/get one free" promo). A lot higher than I anticipated.

If I dropped to just the two front, it would be $832.

From what I've read and researched, a replacing the struts with a strut/shock assembly kit is a very doable project. I want to get them replaced before our 12-hour drive to VA for Thanksgiving. The most I've done mechanically is replace the spark plugs and change the oil...so bear that in mind when recommending your course of action

So mine is the classic dilemma...I don't want to pay too much for something I could do myself for several hundred less. But I also don't want to risk botching the job myself.

What do you recommend? Is it a simple enough project to not worry about royally screwing something up? Or is the deal worth paying the mech to go ahead and do it?

Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-29-2014, 01:35 PM
6th Gear

I think it would be a simple job as long as you have the right tools and there's not a lot of rust underneath. Suspension bolts can be pretty tight and added rust can cause major headaches. I also would recommend to go with spring/strut assemblies if you do it yourself. The job becomes more involved for a DIY'er by having to compress the spring to remove the strut

The prices you got sound high

post #3 of 19 Old 10-29-2014, 01:35 PM
6th Gear

How many miles and what car you drive (4 or 6, etc). You can do yourself as I took my fronts off recently but I would count on a day project if you have never done it and more time if your replacing the shock from the spring in which you would have more time involved with breaking each strut down, etc. Do a search on this site as there are DIY (will be similar regardless procedure regardless of v6 or 4, coupe or sedan, etc) and you can find strut advice also.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP

post #4 of 19 Old 10-29-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Thanks mc1114, I would definitely be going with a spring/strut assembly.

Mine is a 2005 Accord EX 4 cyl with 127k on it.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-29-2014, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1114 View Post
I think it would be a simple job as long as you have the right tools and there's not a lot of rust underneath. Suspension bolts can be pretty tight and added rust can cause major headaches. I also would recommend to go with spring/strut assemblies if you do it yourself. The job becomes more involved for a DIY'er by having to compress the spring to remove the strut

The prices you got sound high
I second this. The first time I did a full strut replacement took me like 8hrs with an impact wrench and a friend helping. Of course, this was for a coilover setup so a lot of time went into adjusting the coils, but I'd say it will take a full day. You'll need lots of deep sockets too to make things easier.

Other than that, it was pretty doable.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-29-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Gotcha. Yep, I would be getting the following Monroe Quick-Strut assemblies to avoid the spring compression job altogether:

FRONT RIGHT:

FRONT LEFT

REAR RIGHT & LEFT

Thoughts?
post #7 of 19 Old 10-29-2014, 02:21 PM
4th Gear

Rear struts are typically easy. Jack car up, take off tire, remove 2 long bolts/nuts from top mount, One big one from bottom, Done.

2014 Accord Sport Sedan 6MT
White Orchid Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-29-2014, 02:43 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshisaking View Post
Hello Honda aficionados,
I need some wise advice. My struts need replacing...rough riding and creakier handling. I took it to my mechanic, an honest one, for a quote on full assemblies.

He recommended Monroe assemblies and quoted me $1436 tax total for four struts (after a $255 rebate, a "buy three/get one free" promo). A lot higher than I anticipated.

If I dropped to just the two front, it would be $832.

From what I've read and researched, a replacing the struts with a strut/shock assembly kit is a very doable project. I want to get them replaced before our 12-hour drive to VA for Thanksgiving. The most I've done mechanically is replace the spark plugs and change the oil...so bear that in mind when recommending your course of action

So mine is the classic dilemma...I don't want to pay too much for something I could do myself for several hundred less. But I also don't want to risk botching the job myself.

What do you recommend? Is it a simple enough project to not worry about royally screwing something up? Or is the deal worth paying the mech to go ahead and do it?
If he's charging over $1400 dollars after some discount of his, then he is not a very honest mechanic, more of a scammer. Try to get a quote from the dealer, I bet it will be cheaper without any discounts, and you'll get better struts in the end. Aftermarket struts/shocks only last a couple of years, and they begin to rust the day they get put on.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-29-2014, 03:56 PM
CM6
RIP my Acorn

Garage
Super easy project. I only had basic tools and had never done anything like that before and swapped all four in a few hours. Only had to go to the hardware store once.

2006 Accord V6 6MT 4D - TOTALED
Carbon Bronze

2014 Ford Focus ST 6MT 5D
Spirit Blue
post #10 of 19 Old 10-29-2014, 04:59 PM
mobiless2

I would order OEM complete units before using Monroe units.

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto 4DR: Weapon-R I Throttle/TL FSB RSB/Morimoto H1/Fogs/K40/Viper 5704/exLED 146K

2015 HM SPORT I-4 CVT 4DR: TL RSB, exLED, OEM Tweeters-LED Mirrors-LED Tail Lights, Coutesy Lights, Ambient Light Kit, 4G TL Retrofit w/TSX-R Lens, RV6 PCD, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 36K

2016 ABP Civic EX-T CVT 4DR
exLED
The Following User Says Thank You to mobiless2 For This Useful Post:
jimijam (10-30-2014)
post #11 of 19 Old 10-30-2014, 05:57 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiless2 View Post
I would order OEM complete units before using Monroe units.
I have to agree with this one. Last March I had my mechanic replace the front struts with Monroe and it took a couple of months for them to settle in. It raised the front 3/4". The Monroe doesn't have a different part # for the 4cyl, its the same as the 6cyl. So the lower sprung weight of the 4cly caused the front of the car to lift a bit.
After 7 months of having them installed, I would call them "Good" but not as good as OEM. My mechanic charged $600 tax included.
One issue I have with the Honda parts is that the passenger front strut assembly for the 4 Manual is $318. where the other strut assemblies are $143. Why is just the right side $175 more than the others?
I would find a mechanic that would skip the strut assemblies and keep your OEM springs. Just replace the dampeners themselves with Honda or another good brand.

2006 EX-L Coupe 2.4L 5MT 162,500
Sapphire Blue Pearl w/Ivory Leather

夢のパワー
post #12 of 19 Old 10-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 757 Posts
I have never read a good review of those monroes. people buy them because they are cheap and an easy install, then a few months later they bitch about the sagging springs (one size doesn't fit all approach) and soft shocks.

if a guy doesn't want to bother with a spring compressor and wishes to go the monroe route, don't be that guy. if you can take off your oem assemblies and install the monroes, then you can drive those same oem assemblies down to your neighborhood shop and have them swap new shocks into them for you for about $50 and a smile.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 19 Old 10-30-2014, 09:19 PM
5th Gear

Your mechanic is ripping you off badly.

When I needed to get my front shock assemblies replaced last year, I called several independent mechanics and the local Honda dealership. The total cost for replacing both front strut assemblies (shock + spring + mounts) came out to about $500-700 for the fronts.

Regardless of whether you decide to do the job yourself or not, I would ditch that mechanic ASAP.

Also, DO NOT go with Monroe parts. They are inferior to the OEM parts made by Showa, and the spring rates/shock valving will not mmatch OEM specifications.

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
post #14 of 19 Old 10-30-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Glad I checked with you guys! Thanks for all the advice. The price quote I got was a shocker...granted, it was for all four struts, but still WAY more than expected based on what I was reading online. I'm thinking I'll definitely set aside a Saturday and recruit a buddy to help.

I don't have an impact driver. Is that critical?
post #15 of 19 Old 10-30-2014, 09:35 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshisaking View Post
Glad I checked with you guys! Thanks for all the advice. The price quote I got was a shocker...granted, it was for all four struts, but still WAY more than expected based on what I was reading online. I'm thinking I'll definitely set aside a Saturday and recruit a buddy to help.

I don't have an impact driver. Is that critical?
No. A breaker bar or long ratchet wrench will suffice. A torque wrench is also helpful. You can pick one up from Harbor Freight for $10-15.

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
Advertisement

Tags
2005, 4 cylinder, shocks, struts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.