Best Brake Rotors for durability - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 10-25-2014, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Best Brake Rotors for durability

I've experimented with several brands/types of rotors over the past few years and my finding is that for a stock type rotor Centric Premium rotors provide the best bang for your buck hands down! They don't warp like many of the aftermarket Chinese rotors! And they aren't machined close to the minimum rotor thickness allowed, per Honda specs (as I've found NAPA rotors sometimes are).

Here are the Centric Premium Rotor Options currently available for our cars:
Centric Plain 120 Series Rotors
  • Solid budget friendly option, but you will most likely need to re-machine the rotors every time you replace brake pads. As with any of the budget rotors, they tend to form grooves as they wear, but to much less of an extent than the other brands.
  • I'm currently using these on Front & Rear of my girlfriends 2002 Accord.
Centric Plain 120 Series Cryo-Treated Rotor
  • ~50% higher cost vs. Plain 120 Series w/o cryo-treatment
  • I haven't tested these
Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series Rotor
  • ~25% higher cost vs. Plain 120 Series w/o cryo-treatment
  • I am currently using these on the rear of my '07 Accord and have put ~35k miles on them. They wear significantly more evenly than the plain 120 series rotors, but not as even as the cryo-treated rotors.
  • I had to replace the pads after 30k miles (due to a stuck caliper) and there was no need to resurface the rotors at all.

Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series Cryo-Treated Rotor
  • ~100% higher cost vs. Plain 120 Series w/o cryo-treatment
  • I'm currently running these on the front of my '07 accord. I currently have ~15k mi on them and they still look nearly new with no uneven grooves worn in the rotors.
  • The only downside is the break-in period. The metal on these rotors is VERY hard, consequently it takes longer for the initial tooling marks to wear away and allow full contact of the brake pad with the rotor. You should expect the brakes to feel less responsive and require more pedal pressure for the first 100-500 miles, after which they perform as well as any other rotor.
  • Due to more even wear, I expect the need for re-surfacing of the rotors to be much less likely the next time I need to replace brake pads.

Does anyone else have experiences to corroborate mine? Any tests on the Centric Plain 120 Series Cryo-Treated Rotors? Any other brands you highly recommend?

For the Centric rotors, based on what I've tested so far, is that the High Carbon rotors are definitely worth the extra investment at only ~25% greater cost vs. the Plain 120 Series rotors. The Cryo-treated rotors are definately the most durable option, but I'm not 100% convinced they are worth

Look up the part number and search around for best price online. I've found that one vendor may have a better deal on the front rotors, while a second vendor has a better deal on the rear rotors.

NOTE: I've stayed with Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic brake pads through all of my recent rotor testing, so the rotor wear noted isn't impacted by the type of brake pad used for my tests.

Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-26-2014, 03:45 AM
6th Gear

I have 240,00 on my 07 accord with OEM rotors.... Still within specs with no warping.....

The Following User Says Thank You to rszappa1 For This Useful Post:
jimijam (10-26-2014)
post #3 of 27 Old 10-26-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszappa1 View Post
I have 240,00 on my 07 accord with OEM rotors.... Still within specs with no warping.....
Do you have a V6 with the larger size stock rotors, or a 4cyl?

post #4 of 27 Old 10-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston87 View Post
Do you have a V6 with the larger size stock rotors, or a 4cyl?
you mean the 6 spd?

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-26-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
you mean the 6 spd?
No, I meant 6 cylinder vs. 4 cylinder. I'm fairly sure the 6cyl cars have larger rotors (hence the need for larger 17" wheels to accommodate them). Because they are a larger diameter, they dissipate heat over a larger surface and are therefore less prone to warping.

Correct me if I'm wrong though...
post #6 of 27 Old 10-26-2014, 03:37 PM
mobiless2

Quote:
No, I meant 6 cylinder vs. 4 cylinder. I'm fairly sure the 6cyl cars have larger rotors (hence the need for larger 17" wheels to accommodate them). Because they are a larger diameter, they dissipate heat over a larger surface and are therefore less prone to warping.

Correct me if I'm wrong though...
Only the V6-6 speed coupe have the larger thicker rotors 11.8", everything else gets the smaller thinner 11.1" rotors

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto 4DR: Weapon-R I Throttle/TL FSB RSB/Morimoto H1/Fogs/K40/Viper 5704/exLED 146K

2015 HM SPORT I-4 CVT 4DR: TL RSB, exLED, OEM Tweeters-LED Mirrors-LED Tail Lights, Coutesy Lights, Ambient Light Kit, 4G TL Retrofit w/TSX-R Lens, RV6 PCD, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 36K

2016 ABP Civic EX-T CVT 4DR
exLED
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mobiless2 For This Useful Post:
jimijam (10-26-2014), RickBlaine (10-27-2014)
post #7 of 27 Old 10-26-2014, 05:11 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszappa1 View Post
That's impressive! So I guess you're not one of those people I see accelerating with the brake lights still on (obviously have their left foot sitting on the brake pedal).

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 13,000 miles so far
post #8 of 27 Old 10-26-2014, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

160,000 + miles and only been turned 1 time by the dealer with a on car brake lathe.And when I do replace them it will be with genuine honda parts.

96 accord 4 cyl v tech k&n air filter flowmaster super 40
post #9 of 27 Old 10-27-2014, 03:34 AM
6th Gear

Mine has the 4.......
post #10 of 27 Old 10-27-2014, 06:11 AM

Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,325 Posts
Quote:
my finding is that for a stock type rotor Centric Premium rotors provide the best bang for your buck hands down! They don't warp like many of the aftermarket Chinese rotors!
WTF?

They are ALL made in China or Taiwan. No rotors are made in the USA anymore.

I've used many different "brands"- which are most likely manufactured in the same plants anyway. I've never noticed much of a difference.

Guys, I've done tours of Hong Kong's shipping ports at all hours of the day. 24/7 they are running at 100% capacity. Birds don't hang out there because of the constant light, noise, activity, etc. All the containers that go out come back filled with scrap metal, coal from West Virginia and Montana, and waste paper.

Countries such as China, India, Bangladesh turn that scrap around and make steel "blanks", paper goods, etc. - and use the coal to power those plants.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
144k miles (as of Dec '17)
The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
jimijam (10-27-2014)
post #11 of 27 Old 10-27-2014, 06:50 AM
5th Gear

I have cheap advance auto parts rotors, fronts have about 45k miles on them and seem to be doing fine so far, backs only have about 4k on them

Current:
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
2016 Honda Crv AWD EXL

Previous:
2006 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Navi I4
2013 Honda Ridgeline RTL Navi (Wife's)
2003 Mercedes ML500
2007 Pontiac Torrent (Wife's)
1994 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
1992 Mercedes 300SE
1988 Mercedes E260
post #12 of 27 Old 10-27-2014, 10:15 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
WTF?

I've used many different "brands"- which are most likely manufactured in the same plants anyway. I've never noticed much of a difference.

Guys, I've done tours of Hong Kong's shipping ports at all hours of the day. 24/7 they are running at 100% capacity. Birds don't hang out there because of the constant light, noise, activity, etc. All the containers that go out come back filled with scrap metal, coal from West Virginia and Montana, and waste paper.

Countries such as China, India, Bangladesh turn that scrap around and make steel "blanks", paper goods, etc. - and use the coal to power those plants.
There's a plant in Waupaca, WI that makes rotors. At least they did just a few years ago, and I know they haven't closed.
post #13 of 27 Old 10-27-2014, 04:33 PM

Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,325 Posts
I should be more clear....American plants may drill, paint, or "finish" the rotor, but the blanks are made in China. I know member (and fellow Chicagolandian) "t-rd" does not wanna hear that.....

Please read the first post in this link....
post #14 of 27 Old 10-27-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
WTF?

If you re-read my statement, I said, "They don't warp like many of the aftermarket Chinese rotors". I never said all foreign rotors were bad.

You are forgetting a major factor here. Rotor quality isn't purely a matter of where the rotors are made. It is also a matter of how well the company holds their foreign manufacturers accountable for producing a quality product. If the contracted foreign manufacturer feels they can get away measures that save them money... they will... unless they are held to a higher standard (US based manufacturers do the same thing!). They can make tons of cost cutting measures that can impact rotor durability if they aren't held to strict standards.

For example:
  • Making the rotors thinner (closer to minimum spec)
  • Increasing the thickness of the vanes in the middle, but keeping the disc thickness the same
  • Using less expensive metal alloy mixtures or providing lack-luster control of the mixtures.
  • Reducing the amount of time castings are allowed to cool prior to processing (alters the molecular structure of the metal, weakening it).
  • Altering furnace temperatures
  • Not maintaining equipment, so that it can provide a consistent product.
post #15 of 27 Old 10-27-2014, 05:19 PM
BRWNFLSH now

People say they want to buy American, but when faced with the choice of $65 rotors made in America, and $25 rotors made in China, we (at least most of us) chose the latter. We put them out of business because we could buy 4 Chinese rotors for less than 2 American.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 13,000 miles so far
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.