...average life of brake pads? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-13-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to trainchaser
...average life of brake pads?

...interesting, I just had my 05 EX-L serviced and when I went to pick it up the girl at the service counter asked me "Don't you ever stop for anything?" I looked at her with a puzzled look and she said my brake pads were not showing much wear for the mileage on them. I said its probably because I don't ride my brake pedal and I don't follow cars ahead too closely, I also suspect it may have something to do with the fact I also gear down when coming down long hills...
...how about the rest of you? Hows the life span on your brake pads? This has happened to me with other vehicles I've owned as well, so think how you drive definitely has a major effect on brake pad life expectancy...

cheers,

Lorne Miller
05 EX-L deep green pearl with ivory
96 Odyssey taffeta white with sage

Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-13-2008, 11:18 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Well it seems that 7th Generation Accords are going though rear pads before the fronts. My Dad went 70k before he sold his 03 (in one year) and he never had any brake work. My godfather who still has his 03 Accord EX had all 4 wheels done at about 55k miles. His miles are mostly city.

On the other hand, drums seem to last forever. I'm almost at 120k miles and my rear shoes are still fine. They're not even cracked!

post #3 of 12 Old 06-14-2008, 06:33 AM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
Brakes have more to do with the driver than car.

My guess trainchaser....you are a good driver and thus your brakes last a long time.

It probably helps you don't do LA traffic everyday

post #4 of 12 Old 06-14-2008, 07:17 AM
6th Gear

[QUOTE=trainchaser;250432]...interesting, I just had my 05 EX-L serviced and when I went to pick it up the girl at the service counter asked me "Don't you ever stop for anything?"

...how about the rest of you? Hows the life span on your brake pads?

cheers,

Lorne Miller
96 Odyssey taffeta white with sage[/QUOTE

.........at circa 52.5 now (original pads still in place) Maybe they can check the wear pattern during my appointment for the 3-year brake fluid exchange scheduled at EOM.

I must admit that the sensitive brakes/vague clutch do detract somewhat from the splendid fuel usage and sparkling acceleration. But I could not have spent my Naval Reserve moolah more efficiently.

..well, off to the California State Railroad Museum......

best, ez....

2005 Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6M
Taff. White;cargo net;7-24-05

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)
post #5 of 12 Old 06-14-2008, 09:05 AM

Went 135k on original front brakes in a 6th gen. Probably could have gone longer but the caliper started sticking. Happened in the winter with the salty roads. Machined rotors in the front, still have original drums in back. Don't tailgate and anticipate stops.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-14-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to trainchaser
[QUOTE

best, ez....[/QUOTE]

...California State Railroad Museum, man oh man, lucky guy, one of my favorite places to visit...not fair that you're just down the road from there - it takes me two days to get to Sacramento, unless I want to drive all night...
...I haven't been there for a couple of years, have they made any of the changes or additions to displays that they've been talking about?

cheers,

Lorne Miller
96 Odyssey taffeta white with sage
post #7 of 12 Old 06-14-2008, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

i've had a much more "exciting" experience with my 7g brakes.....disappointing to say the least...

500 miles - resurfaced all rotors (warped)
20k - new front rotors (warped), new front brakes
resurface rear rotors (warped), new rear brakes

luckily all the above was covered under warranty

30k - brake pedal is starting to shimmy again!!!!

i do have "fun" when i drove though....but still, this kind of brake wear is uncalled for!!

going for brembos + hawks if they don't cover under warranty
post #8 of 12 Old 06-14-2008, 01:22 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainchaser View Post
[QUOTE
..California State Railroad Museum, man oh man, lucky guy, one of my favorite places to visit.

...I haven't been there for a couple of years, have they made any of the changes or additions to displays that they've been talking about?

cheers,

Lorne Miller
96 Odyssey taffeta white with sage[/QUOTE]

...yes, yes and yes. (Actually, I'm a docent). Given prior warning - should you head south - I can get you in sans American money. Your screen name indicates railroad familiarity.......which means my usual narrative would be optional.

hang in there, ez....

2005 Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6M
Taff. White;cargo net;7-24-05

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)
post #9 of 12 Old 06-14-2008, 08:35 PM
3rd Gear

37k on rear brakes (mainly because rotors warped) and 57k on fronts. Now at 66k the rear rotors appear warped (vibration at high speed braking). The rear pads have about 2/3 of material left - wonder if I can just replace rotors?

2004 Accord EX 2.4L 5-AT (gone)
2007 RAV4 4WD
1999 Miata
post #10 of 12 Old 06-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbear View Post
The rear pads have about 2/3 of material left - wonder if I can just replace rotors?
Yes, you can simply replace the rotors.

Out of curiosity, what is the front-rear brake bias on the gen' 8 Accords?
post #11 of 12 Old 06-15-2008, 01:39 AM
3rd Gear

48K here and I'm on my 3rd set of rears and still have the original fronts although they are about due

Shaun
2005 LX SE V6 5 Speed Automatic
Color: Graphite Pearl
post #12 of 12 Old 06-15-2008, 07:31 AM
1st Gear

I replaced my front pads 53K. I only replaced them because I wanted to get rid of brake dust. I went w/ Friction Master Ceramic pads f/ Auto Zone. Now I have ZERO dust.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.