Ebay brake rotors and pads? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-22-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Ebay brake rotors and pads?

I believe at 135k it is getting close to brake replacement time. I am starting to hear a faint noise when I brake and I can feel it on the pedal.

My question is, has anyone had any experience with ebays brake rotors and pads? I mean, I can get drilled and slotted rotors and pads for the price of what autozone has replacements for. These are an example of what im looking at:

Please tell me if I am being stupid, the black is not necessary, but I like the way they look. I am aware that ebay has a lot of crap, so i figured I would ask.

Another question I have is, do I have to replace both the front and the back at the same time? I watched alot of videos and the front disk brakes with standard rotors and pads seem pretty easy to do yourself. The back looks like a whole nother story though. I am not confident I could accomplish that on my own. So i would have to save up to get someone to do them.

PS: I am a fan of stopping. So if its not a good idea for me to try to diy, please let me know, I would rather pay someone if it is something better left to the professionals.

Thanks in advance guys.

post #2 of 6 Old 03-22-2014, 08:40 AM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,012 Times in 765 Posts
The only ebay brake kits I've read favorable reviews about are "brake motive" and "r1 concepts". I'm not saying those are junk, just haven't heard anything about them.

If you've seen the videos and they didn't scare you, then I'm willing to bet you can DIY this. Biggest trick is doing a proper bleeding, which isn't that hard either.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Thanked 1,934 Times in 1,380 Posts
eBay is a marketplace, not a brand. You can find almost anything for sale there....so asking if "eBay brakes" are good/bad is not the question.

I bought two sets off of eBay from BrakeMotive. One for my Accord, and one for my 1991 240sx. Each set was 4 rotors and all ceramic brake pads. Around $150 delivered per car.

My neighbor has a 2007 Accord, and money is tight. Castle Honda quoted her $1,150 for a "complete" brake job. I ordered yet another set from BrakeMotive and did that 2007 for $150 in my driveway.

Stops well, looks great, very happy.

Know that most brake rotors and pads are made in China. You may see a video of what looks to be Pittsburgh steel workers making brake rotors- but it is bull. Canada (Vancouver and Toronto) as well as California get thousands of these rotors from China. Some places will then drill and slot them in North America so they can say "Made in USA", but believe me (I've seen the factories), they are only "finished" in the USA.

Unless you go exotic, rotors are made with the same metal ratings as the next guy.

I wanted drilled and slotted for the next 5 years, and so I put them on my Accord. I just like the look and doing brakes on these cars is so easy, I went with it. You may get flamed by other Accord owners for going drilled and slotted, but you will earn respect from the neighborhood toughs and really, isn't that what life is about?

The rear...

EDIT: Brake rotors are a "low tech" item. Perhaps the 10 most common brake rotor model numbers cover about 75% of all cars on the road. So high volume, low-tech, and lax environmental regulations during manufacturing equals "overseas". However, if you are autocrossing, I would go with a different brake set up.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Bob's your UNCLE ...

^^ ... WOW - a view of the fastest Accord on the planet, that isn't of the tail lights ??

-'07 K24/AT SE CM5

P&P ’08 TSX IM|P&P OEM Injector Base|’08 TSX TB|HPS short ram intake w/ K&N|wrapped headers
6-6 strut tower brace|Megan Racing strut tower brace|TL-S FSB|TL-S RSB
HDR grills|JDM emblems|HFP front lip|Inspire fogs|Mugen side sills|OEM deck-lid spoiler|OEM Hybrid tails|17"x7" EP-R5 (HFP) rims
ELM 327 Bluetooth|USA Spec BT-35 HON|Kicker CS65's|Kicker CS693's|LED interior bulbs
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbo For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (03-22-2014)
post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2014, 03:06 PM

The question I have about those rotors is, why is the coating on the machined surface? Are the rotors Black all the way through? Or will the coating come off as the brake pads squeeze them, and possibly contaminate the pads. Are you supposed to have the coating machined off, before mounting them?

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 17,000 miles so far
post #6 of 6 Old 03-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,012 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post

The rear...
How is it that your calipers are the cleanest things in this pic?

2007 V6 AT Sedan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.