How much did you pay for your brake pads/rotors? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

How much did you pay for your brake pads/rotors?

I've had this high pitched noise while braking for awhile which i suspect is my front pads and/or rotors.

Before I take it to the shop, anyone know whats a decent price for
(a) front brake pads
(b) front rotors(do i have to replace all four?)

so i dont get royally ripped off.

Thanks

Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 02:48 AM
Roll Tide!

Honda is going to charge you $500 or more to do the fronts only. If you can DIY (It's not hard and there are videos online to make it REAL easy), you can get them done for around $150. You don't have to replace the rears when doing the fronts unless they are worn out or pretty damn close. Since most of the braking is with the fronts, the rears last a lot longer than fronts.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 07:21 AM
BRWNFLSH now

I just replaced my front rotors and pads. $125 (tax included) for two rotors from NAPA (Ultra Premium with painted hat and vanes), and $50 for Honda pads. Easy, painless job. I find the front is easier than the rear. You can get rotors for a variety of prices, ranging from $25 per rotor, to $125 per rotor or more. It all depends on what YOU want.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far

post #4 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 07:35 AM

$250 at the Honda dealer for my 6th gen which included new pads, resurface rotors and a rebuild kit for the calipers. The front passenger side was starting to stick during winter. They had 135k miles on them although many of those miles were highway.
post #5 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 10:44 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
Since most of the braking is with the fronts, the rears last a lot longer than fronts.
That's not generally true anymore. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's not ordinary. Most modern cars have brake proportioning valves, electronic brake distribution, etc. I would have to go back to the early 90's to think of any car I owned that wore the front brakes out 1st. That includes Ford, Chrysler, and Honda/Acura products.

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #6 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Roll Tide!

So you have to replace all four corners at the same time? Looking around this forum, the other forums I'm on, and my own three cars that are newer that yours, I'd say your experience isn't ordinary.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #7 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 11:28 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Quote:
Honda is going to charge you $500 or more to do the fronts only.
You're wrong. Honda does not charge that much for a brake job. Honda charged me $250 for front pads and turning the rotors. All the problems people complain about brakes here is because they think aftermarket rotors and pads are good idea, when they are not. I drove my Accord for 10 years and the brakes never squeaked and I never had to replace the rotors, and Honda always did the brake jobs, front and rear, when needed.
post #8 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 11:40 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
So you have to replace all four corners at the same time? Looking around this forum, the other forums I'm on, and my own three cars that are newer that yours, I'd say your experience isn't ordinary.
No. You usually replace the rears 1st. I don 't know where or how you read, but I've read the opposite. I don't know about your newer cars, but I doubt anything has changed related to brake wear. This was a 7th gen question. I've got two of them and have done a few brake jobs on them. Rears always 1st. I have always done my own brakes - - my entire lifetime. Have never paid for a brake job. If some of your brake jobs were done by a mechanic they may have taken you for a ride.

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #9 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 12:43 PM
BRWNFLSH now

The rear disk brakes have worn faster than the front on my car. I'm on the third set of pads in the rear, and second set on the front. The rears seem to go 10k less miles than the front. I could still be on the original rotors, but I wanted to get rid of the rusty originals.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #10 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 02:18 PM
5th Gear

Since I bought this car, I changed fronts once and rears twice. OEM only.

2012 Toyota Avalon Limited, Magnetic Grey - Wife's Car
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, Alabaster Silver - Family Hauler/My daily ride
2003 Accord EXV6, 5AT Sedan- Sold

Current OEM: Moonroof Visor, Window Visors, Roof Rails, Crossbars, Body Side Moldings, Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Door-Sill Garnish, All-Weather Floor Mats, Wheel Locks
Future OEM: Remote Engine Start

"Performance modifications are not worth the hassle on an old daily ride. Buy a performance car instead " - Accord_Rules
post #11 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
You're wrong. Honda does not charge that much for a brake job.
No. You're wrong.

From 6 days ago, for fronts only...
Questions about some deal recommended service

Glad you got them cheaper.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #12 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 08:19 PM
cgb
4th Gear

Labor is about $80 or $90 and hour if not less and they charged you $550 for an oil pan? Oil pan should be NO MORE than $100 if not $75. They are royally screwing you, hate to break it to you. Brake jobs don't cost $500 like he said, unless they are * you which they did

Last edited by SatinSilver; 03-10-2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: watch language!
post #13 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 PM
03-SSM-AV6-6MT

If you DIY the front rotor screws can be a BITCH if you live in a snow climate. You need an impact driver, and possibly a drill to drill them out if they won't budge. Other than that they are very easy to do. I would get some Brembo blanks, and OEM pads and DIY.

2003 Accord V6 6MT
OEM kit/spoiler/fogs. 35% tint. Custom 3.5inch CAI, 3.7 Intake mani and TB, coolant bypass, RV6 Jpipe, 2.5 custom cat back to 2.5 Magnaflows, TL ECU tuned on Hondata Flashpro, Ingals tq dampner, JDM DC5-R 6mt shift knob, TL-S rear sway bar, H&R sport with Koni adjustbl. Black housed hdlights, Akoi LED 9006 and H1 bulbs gloss blk roof. Enkei RPF1 17x8 wheels with Michelin Pilot Super sport 235/45/17 tires. 245whp 220wtq

2015 Honda Civic LX 5MT (daily)
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisQ80 For This Useful Post:
jimijam (03-08-2014)
post #14 of 43 Old 03-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgb View Post
Labor is about $80 or $90 and hour if not less and they charged you $550 for an oil pan? Oil pan should be NO MORE than $100 if not $75. They are royally screwing you, hate to break it to you. Brake jobs don't cost $500 like he said, unless they are * you which they did
"unless"? does that mean some dealers do, as in it happens?

do you realize that labor rates are not the same everywhere in the country and there is a reason why dealership and stealership are interchangeable? and, had you clicked on the link (the source for the photo), you would have learned this wasn't my car, wasn't my estimate, and wasn't my thread. it was simply proof that honda does charge that much for a front brake job, which obviously varies from dealer to dealer just like any other service.

my local stealership quoted me $460 in september for fronts only on my ex's '07 crv...so pile on their "shop fees and taxes" and thats an rch over $500. i had the rotors turned for $20 each, slapped in some akebonos i grabbed off amazon for about $50, and bled the system with the dot 3 i ordered from curry acura; i didn't get raped.

my local stealership has a "pothole special" this month for a "four wheel" alignment and tire inspection for $79.95, which is regularly $139.95. same work, same labor, same time, same shop, but two different prices depending on the month...is that * or what?

2007 V6 AT Sedan

Last edited by SatinSilver; 03-10-2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: let's watch language guys.
post #15 of 43 Old 03-09-2014, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I've looked at some youtube videos and it doesnt seem too difficult, so I'm willing to definitely DIY.

So from what im reading NAPA and Brembo rotors are the way to go.
As for pads, OEM? or Akebonos?

Anyone know a good place to buy them? I've looked at advanceauto because they have promos all the time but only saw the akebonos.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.