Ceramic pads wearing the rotors? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Ceramic pads wearing the rotors?

I have a 2008 accord and my front brakes are ready for a replacement. The rotors are a little bit worn out and since the car has 72k miles on it and after a lot of reading I'm planning on changing both rotors and pads.
I went to Autozone for a set of duralast rotors + ceramic pads and the guy there mentioned ceramic pads wear the rotors way more than regular pads. Is this right?
How long should I expect the rotors and pads to last under not heavy driving conditions (average)?
I just walked out the store and wanted to confirm this here, where I know there are people with a lot of experience.
Thanks in advance!
R.R.

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-06-2011, 05:22 PM

All generalizations are false, including this one.

I'm gonna say the counter guy was well-intentioned. The fact is sometimes he'd be right, and other times, he'd be wrong. So you're asking a very good question.

I'm not a technical expert on brakes, but I spent some time in a startup in which an applications team was trying to develop ceramic composite brake ROTORS. So I learned a lot by being there. In the words of Yogi Berra, "You can observe a lot just by watching."

Brake pads try to do several things well at the same time, all of which are in tradeoff with one another to one degree or another.

They have to produce good friction, as consistently as possible, hot or cold, wet or dry. In general, softer pads have better cold friction, and harder pads have better hot friction. That's why performance pads such as some of those in, say, the Hawk and EBC lines are harder than the more street-oriented products in their lines.

They have to have good fade resistance, which is not the same as good hot friction. Fade resistance is good hot friction over time. In general, this is achieved by a combination of factors such as highly heat conductive pads and harder formulations.

They should be quiet. Again, softer is usually quieter.

They should be low dusting. There's not necessarily a correlation here. A softer pad wears the pad preferentially. A harder pad wears the rotor preferentially, as well as more frequently renewing the debris layer on the rotor surface which is really what stops your car. That "debris layer" sounds bad but in reality it's what the pad contacts and is the point at which the friction that stops your car is generated.

"Ceramic" pads actually contain very little ceramic. Pads can contain over 20 ingredients, including things such as walnut shells (in the pad manufacturing process, it carbonizes to a material with certain desirable noise, wear, friction, and fade characteristics.) So a "ceramic" pad may or may not wear rotors quickly. My preferred pads for daily driving are Akebono ProAct ceramics. And I doubt they contain all that much ceramic. They would probably be considered a relatively soft pad. They're smooth, quiet, relatively low dusting, and give me a long time between brake jobs at the corners. They meet my needs very well. For others, there are better choices.

I'd place at the other end the "lifetime" pads sold by some of the national chain service shops. They're a very hard formulation that WILL wear your rotors rather quickly. That way, you come back for service and need new rotor$ at $80 a pop as compared to pad$ at $60/pair, plus labor. I'd bet there's very little, if any, ceramic in those pads. IMHO, you can do way better than those "lifetime" pads.

"Communication isn't what you say. It's what they hear." - Red Auerbach

2015 EX-L V6, Modern Steel/Black
2007 SE I4 5AT, Cool Blue, 77k

Also in the family:

2009 TSX, navy, auto
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Ltd
2015 Crosstour V6, black
2013 Civic EX, gray
2014 Honda HRX217 (2)

Departed:
2004 EX I4 5MT, Desert Mist, 175,552
2001 Accord EX I4 5MT, Satin Silver, oil slick at 86K
1999 EX-LV, Heather Mist, 146,567
1994 Accord LX I4 5 MT ABS, Malachite Green, 285k
post #3 of 9 Old 10-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

My Wagner Thermo Quiet ceramic pads do not wear rotors out faster.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-06-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thank you both for the feedback.
thanks a ton for the elaborated answer and taking the time to explain all those details that are unknown for the common driver like me.

I'm clear on the pads however I'm not sure on what rotors to get now... Can any rotor out there do the job decently? Mostly talking about the brands in Autozone/Advanced Auto Parts (need to do the job ASAP). Or should I get something better on internet and wait for it?

2008 Accord Sedan LX-P
post #5 of 9 Old 10-07-2011, 12:39 AM
5th Gear

Reframmellator: Excellent post.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-07-2011, 04:14 AM

I've had good luck with Brembo rotors, but lately my favorite is the NAPA Ultra Premium Rotor. Made in USA, I believe by Raybestos (also a good choice), but the NAPA variety has a lifetime warranty whereas Raybestos is 2 years. Cheap rotors can have local variations in metallurgy which can create the uneven buildup of the debris layer that causes judder, what many of us mistakenly call "warped rotors."

Also in the family:

2009 TSX, navy, auto
2015 Crosstour V6, black
2013 Civic EX, gray
2014 Honda HRX217 (2)

Departed:
The Following User Says Thank You to reframmellator For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (11-30-2016)
post #7 of 9 Old 10-07-2011, 04:16 AM

Should have mentioned slots and grooves in your rotor are for show, not go, for 99+ percent of us; are noisier; and wear pads faster. Other than that, they're fine. Stick with smooth rotors IMHO.

Also in the family:

2009 TSX, navy, auto
2015 Crosstour V6, black
2013 Civic EX, gray
2014 Honda HRX217 (2)

Departed:
post #8 of 9 Old 10-07-2011, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reframmellator View Post
Should have mentioned slots and grooves in your rotor are for show, not go, for 99+ percent of us; are noisier; and wear pads faster. Other than that, they're fine. Stick with smooth rotors IMHO.
Thank you very much for your recommendations!!!

2008 Accord Sedan LX-P
post #9 of 9 Old 10-07-2011, 12:34 PM
3rd Gear

I am a pricing analyst for O'Reilly Auto parts and I will tell you right now what the Valucraft and Duralast brands are garbage. The Duralast Gold and Duralast C-max are much higher quality. Same thing at Advance. The Wearever Gold and Wearever Ceramics are much better than the Wearever silver pads.

Of course at O'Reilly the Brake Best Select pads are the way to go if you don't want to fork over the money for the Wagner TQ's.

The ceramic material will have no real effect on the life of the rotor. Carbon brake pads will but not ceramic.

Another choice for a more performance oriented pad is the EBC or PFC pads.

07 Sedan
94 N/A H22, ported head, s2p1 cams, s2vt, flat valves, blacktrax intake mani, euro R tb ported 70-65mm taper, hyptech rep header, Enkei Evo 5, Ground control, tokico struts.
The Following User Says Thank You to accordh22a For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (11-30-2016)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.