RTX wheels as good as OEM? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-31-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

RTX wheels as good as OEM?

Would you trust RTX wheels even though they are made in China? Where are Honda OEMs made?

2011 Honda Accord EXL Coupe
5speed auto
4 cylinder
Calgary AB Canada
Current milage: 75k km
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-31-2016, 06:28 PM
pessimistic optimist

I think i would invest in something a little higher quality. The OEM wheels are most certainly not made in China, nor are they made to a $150 per wheel price point. If you insist on getting cheap wheels troll Craigslist for a deal on some Enkei, or Konig wheels that someone else has grown tired of.

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals Killed by a dump truck 12-13-2017
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter, 15mm spacers (rear) 35% tint
post #3 of 8 Old 10-31-2016, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Thanks ^

I know RTX wheels are made of low cast alloy. How are OEMs made?

5speed auto
4 cylinder
Calgary AB Canada

post #4 of 8 Old 10-31-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boring 08 EX View Post
I think i would invest in something a little higher quality. The OEM wheels are most certainly not made in China, nor are they made to a $150 per wheel price point.
What's wrong with RTX's quality? RTX offers wheels made using either a low pressure cast process or the higher quality flow formed process. Honda wheels are low pressure cast.

RTX says their wheels "are compliant with the JWL and VIA industry standards." Honda's wheels also meet JWL and VIA standards.

RTX wheels are priced anywhere from $150 to $220, depending on size. We don't know what Honda's price point is since they jack up their prices ridiculously, but you can find 18" HFP Honda wheels for $220.... the same price as 18" RTX wheels.

Paying more doesn't always get you better quality. Take a look at the overpriced low pressure cast wheels from Vossen. They charge at least $450 per wheel. You're mostly paying for the name with them. Are RTX wheels not good quality because their name isn't as well known?

RTX has been in business for over 10 years, and they back up their wheels with a 1 yr cosmetic warranty and lifetime structural warranty.

Quote:
Robert Thibert Inc. warrants to the original purchaser, that the wheels will be free from cosmetic defects for one (1) year from the date of purchase. Robert Thibert Inc. also warrants that its wheels will be free from structural defects for as long as the original purchaser owns the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boring 08 EX View Post
If you insist on getting cheap wheels troll Craigslist for a deal on some Enkei, or Konig wheels that someone else has grown tired of.
Cheap as in quality, or cheap as in price? If you're saying Enkei or Konig wheels are cheap in quality, then that would mean Honda wheels are cheap in quality too since Enkei makes most of Honda's wheels.

Enkei (and Konig) wheels also:

- meet JWL and VIA standards.
- are priced between $150 and $220.
- are made using either a low pressure cast or flow formed process.
- make wheels in China ()

Last edited by namegoeshere; 10-31-2016 at 09:22 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-01-2016, 04:51 AM
Yea I modded my car again

I can definitely say konig wheels are super well built. I hit some major major pot holes and didn't bend a rim until one day in the rain going 120km/h I layed into a massive pothole and thought I destroyed the car. Only to find out I ever so slightly bent the outer lip of the wheel. Frankly I find that incredible.

They were forged though. 18" konig zero-in rims.

My 18" Honda rims say they too are forged. So I image they are at least as strong because the konig had small spokes and big spaces which is where the bend in the lip was created. And it was barely visible to the eye.

08 EX-L V6/6
Performance : Dyno Tuned Ktuner, Fastline ss clutch line & powerlinks, P2R gaskets, EBC green pads, XLR8 ss brake lines, Progress 22mm rsb, HSD coilovers, Blox 15mm rear spacers,
Power : RV6 hfpc, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Injen cai, Unorthodox pulley, P2R pnp runners Magnaflow cbe, tl sh awd tb, j37 manifold
post #6 of 8 Old 11-01-2016, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

^ Konigs are very good, I had a set (non forged) on my civic for 4 years and not a single problem. Even the paint on them held up very well and only had a few chips during that 4 years. Condition was 9.5/10 when I sold them.

I called a shop and the owner said RTX are really good for the price and in terms of wheels made in China, there are two types.

WHeels made in China based on China spec requirements
Wheels made in CHina based on US spec requirements

He said that all RTX wheels made in China are based on US spec requirements.

Also a bit OT but do you think blue wheels on a white honda would make it ricey? I don't want it to be ricey but I do think blue on a white car is sharp and would make it really stand out. Yes it's flashy but I like it.

The RTX Ink Blue are $30 off/wheel right now, which essentially makes it 4 wheels for the price of 3. $490CDN for the set. Pretty amazing deal IMO.

5speed auto
4 cylinder
Calgary AB Canada
post #7 of 8 Old 11-01-2016, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
Enkei (and Konig) wheels also:

- meet JWL and VIA standards.
- are priced between $150 and $220.
- are made using either a low pressure cast or flow formed process.
- make wheels in China ()

I thought Enkei's are made in the U.S or Japan? Aren't the OEM Honda wheels on the 8th gen Accords Enkeis?

5speed auto
4 cylinder
Calgary AB Canada
post #8 of 8 Old 11-01-2016, 01:38 PM
pessimistic optimist

I wasn't meaning to imply that Konig and Enkei are Cheap quality, that was syntax error on my part, only that they can be found for cheap PRICES on Craigslist. I read a fair bit on the reviews in Canada for the RTX brand, and they do seem to have a pretty decent following mainly as a winter wheel. I guess anything that can survive Canadian winter must be pretty strong. To the OP, blue wheels aren't my cup of tea, but it is your car, do what you like.

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals Killed by a dump truck 12-13-2017
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter, 15mm spacers (rear) 35% tint
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.