Do you have to have a camber kit? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-28-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Do you have to have a camber kit?

I have an 08 accord coupe thats lowered on D2 springs which offer a 2in drop in the front and 1.8in in the rear. Do I have to have a camber kit with this drop? It doesn't seem like I have a lot of camber, but I do have just a little in the rear.

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-28-2015, 06:41 PM
2nd Gear

The car and drop looks good man.

I'm also curious to hear the answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-28-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Thanks man

▶ ▶ ▶ ▶ Suspension FAQ - Coilovers, HFP suspension, Springs, Camber Kits

Quote:
<< Will I need a camber kit? >>

A camber kit is not really "needed" as long as you get a good alignment. Make sure toe is set as close to 0 as possible and you'll usually be okay since a bad toe setting will eat through tires the quickest. However, it is recommended that you purchase either a 1-arm kit, or a 2-arm or 3-arm kit when lowering 1" or more if you want to keep toe and camber settings within manufacturer specifications and to maximize tire tread life.

A 1 arm kit will come with 1 arm to allow for the adjustment of camber only.

A 2 arm kit will come with 1 arm to allow for the adjustment of camber and 1 arm for the adjustment of toe.

A 3 arm kit will come with 1 arm to allow for the adjustment of camber, 1 arm for the adjustment of toe, and 1 arm for the adjustment of set back.

Lowering a car can and will throw off your toe and camber settings. The lower the height, the more those settings can change. A camber and toe kit will allow you to get that toe and camber setting back to within factory specs. If a camber and toe kit is not used, your rear tires can wear unevenly (more inside tread wear vs wear evenly across the width of the tire tread) and they might even wear out slightly faster than without a camber and toe kit.

If you decide you want a camber kit, a 1-arm rear camber kit will be fine if the car is lowered about 1” - 1.5" (like with springs). If you plan to lower the car more than 1.5”, you'll want the 3-arm rear camber kit. Megan Racing Camber kit Installed..... (about 3pc kit)

Camber wear with a corrected toe setting:

Tire wear from an incorrect toe setting:

Camber wear

post #4 of 12 Old 05-28-2015, 06:57 PM
5th Gear

You don't "need " to have a camber kit. But you will run thru tires faster. A camber kit for the front isn't needed unless you are real low. I'm lowered about 3-3 1/2 inches front and rear and my camber upfront is within stock spec at -.08 degrees. I am running an spc camber kit in the rear and I am at -1.0 degrees only because I wanted to maintain a bit of negative. It's up to you but I would imagine you are at about -2.0 degrees in the rear which really isn't a whole lot.

2012 Accord Coupe LX-S
4 banger/auto
Ap1 S2k retrofit, OrionV2 halos, Phillips 4300k
19" G35 Rays federal ss-595 225/35 and 235/35
Ksport Coilovers
Spc 3 arm Camber kit
TL ShAWD Front and Rear Sway bars 31mm/20mm
Brembo blanks/Akebono ProAct ceramics Front/Rear
Ex-l steering wheel
ExLED full interior 6000k
Nesa n-81acrs, JBL Ms-8,JL 300/4V2, JL 500/1V2, HAT Legatia l6 mids, Morel Mt-230, Custom sail panels, BA 12.5lf<Old school Sq goodness
The Following User Says Thank You to 2012Taffeta For This Useful Post:
BlueBeast (05-28-2015)
post #5 of 12 Old 05-28-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Will tire rotation help and should I do an alignment in a week or so since I have had the springs installed for a couple days.

08 Accord Coupe BBP V6
Megan EZ coilovers
J-Power 3 Arm camber kit
19x8.5 Drag Racing wheels
Magnaflow 16817 catback
Debadged
LED interior
Tint 35% front 20% rear
post #6 of 12 Old 05-28-2015, 08:41 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeast View Post
Will tire rotation help and should I do an alignment in a week or so since I have had the springs installed for a couple days.
Rotation Will help to a point. It won't stop the camber wear but might get you a bit longer life on the 4 tires overall. I would wait a couple weeks to let the springs settle fully before an alignment. You could probably get away with just the 1 piece spc camber arm if money is tight, since you aren't that low.

2012 Accord Coupe LX-S
4 banger/auto
Ap1 S2k retrofit, OrionV2 halos, Phillips 4300k
19" G35 Rays federal ss-595 225/35 and 235/35
Ksport Coilovers
Spc 3 arm Camber kit
TL ShAWD Front and Rear Sway bars 31mm/20mm
Brembo blanks/Akebono ProAct ceramics Front/Rear
Ex-l steering wheel
ExLED full interior 6000k
Nesa n-81acrs, JBL Ms-8,JL 300/4V2, JL 500/1V2, HAT Legatia l6 mids, Morel Mt-230, Custom sail panels, BA 12.5lf<Old school Sq goodness
post #7 of 12 Old 05-30-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
When I bring it in for an alignment will they be able to bring the toe back to spec without a camber kit? Also this is what the camber looks like in the rear.
Attached Images

08 Accord Coupe BBP V6
Megan EZ coilovers
J-Power 3 Arm camber kit
Magnaflow 16817 catback
Debadged
LED interior
Tint 35% front 20% rear
post #8 of 12 Old 05-30-2015, 04:15 PM
All my wats

Lowered 2" with stock struts? You have more to be worried about than camber in back.

Mine is about the same height as yours, but my rear is wayyyyyyyy out of whack

'11 NH737M CS2
post #9 of 12 Old 05-30-2015, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryry+ View Post
Lowered 2" with stock struts? You have more to be worried about than camber in back.

Mine is about the same height as yours, but my rear is wayyyyyyyy out of whack

Yeah I am lowered on stock struts, and I know the risk of it. Plan on buying coilovers or new aftermarket struts if they blow. Had great longitivity with lowering springs on stock struts on other cars.

Do you have a camber kit?

08 Accord Coupe BBP V6
Megan EZ coilovers
J-Power 3 Arm camber kit
Magnaflow 16817 catback
Debadged
LED interior
Tint 35% front 20% rear
post #10 of 12 Old 05-30-2015, 07:07 PM
All my wats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeast View Post
Yeah I am lowered on stock struts, and I know the risk of it. Plan on buying coilovers or new aftermarket struts if they blow. Had great longitivity with lowering springs on stock struts on other cars.

Do you have a camber kit?
Isn't the ride really bouncy, though? I mean, if they last 50k, that's about average for suspension, but I'd want to replace the struts before then.

I have a 3-arm JPower kit sitting next to me, waiting to be installed. For the extra $60 or whatever it was, it made more sense to get the full kit with 3 degrees of adjustment rather than the 1-arm kit that only has 1 degree of adjustment. Better to "waste" $60 and have too much adjustibility than not have enough and waste a $300+ pair of tires

'11 NH737M CS2
post #11 of 12 Old 05-30-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryry+ View Post
Isn't the ride really bouncy, though? I mean, if they last 50k, that's about average for suspension, but I'd want to replace the struts before then.

I have a 3-arm JPower kit sitting next to me, waiting to be installed. For the extra $60 or whatever it was, it made more sense to get the full kit with 3 degrees of adjustment rather than the 1-arm kit that only has 1 degree of adjustment. Better to "waste" $60 and have too much adjustibility than not have enough and waste a $300+ pair of tires
Believe it or not, the ride quality is not bouncy. It feels just like stock but you do feel alot of bumps and such on the road which is expected when lowered.

08 Accord Coupe BBP V6
Megan EZ coilovers
J-Power 3 Arm camber kit
Magnaflow 16817 catback
Debadged
LED interior
Tint 35% front 20% rear
post #12 of 12 Old 06-01-2015, 08:14 AM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

the best!

That is the hottest looking gen 8 I've seen. It's not overly flashy, just clean and mean. Great job!

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
The Following User Says Thank You to slimm1469 For This Useful Post:
BlueBeast (06-01-2015)
Advertisement

Tags
camber, camber kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.