How to Retract Rear Brake Piston - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
  • 1 Post By RickBlaine
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

How to Retract Rear Brake Piston

I'm going to be changing the rear rotors and pads on my 09 EX-L shortly. I also know that ypu just can't squeeze the piston back in like you do on the fronts. Is there a special tool I need to turn the piston and, do I assume that it turns clockwise to retract? Or can I just just a big screwdriver?

'13 Accord EX-L V6 coupe w/navi, 58K (my daily ride)
'14 Sonata GLS, 23K (wife's grocery getter)
'14 Kia Forte LX, 56K (kid's car at college)
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 09:14 AM
4th Gear

Go to any part store like oreily or autozone and rent a brake piston tool. It's free to rent and easy to use, just turn the piston clockwise to compress it.

If your no where near a store you can buy a piston tool that attaches to a regular ratchet with extension on Amazon for 7$

Either one is very easy to use.

post #3 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Just here for the food

rear piston is a spiral piston right?

'09 EX-L Sedan L4 "Nina" | NH578
Current mods:
  • LED interior lights (warm white dome + map | blue courtesy/door)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 6000k COB LED Bar DRL/Fogs (just for looks) INOP

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • NOKYA Hyper Yellows for DRLs/Highs
Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 11:05 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teezythakidd View Post
rear piston is a spiral piston right?
Yes
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirt McGirk For This Useful Post:
teezythakidd (04-04-2015)
post #5 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

In the past I've done it with a heavy duty C-clamp or a Vice, whichever I could find and it seems to do the trick as well.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 04:27 PM
lol wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecknrob View Post
In the past I've done it with a heavy duty C-clamp or a Vice, whichever I could find and it seems to do the trick as well.
That would work for the front calipers, but not on the rear calipers. I haven't done my rear brakes yet, but I've seen many people use big flathead screwdrivers and prybars to turn the piston. Not as effective as the tool, but it works.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 05:40 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerocket View Post
That would work for the front calipers, but not on the rear calipers. I haven't done my rear brakes yet, but I've seen many people use big flathead screwdrivers and prybars to turn the piston. Not as effective as the tool, but it works.
Exactly. DO NOT use a clamp to compress the back lol.

Yea I have used the end of a pry bar before but it's iust easier to use the piston tool plus I have an autozone and oreily within a mile of my house.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-05-2015, 06:47 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt McGirk View Post
Exactly. DO NOT use a clamp to compress the back lol.

Yea I have used the end of a pry bar before but it's iust easier to use the piston tool plus I have an autozone and oreily within a mile of my house.
I've yet to do my rears, so I was under the impression they were exactly the same as the fronts. Now I'm curious to see and want to go out and take a look at the rear caliper. Thanks for the info, I would have been out there with a damn clamp trying to figure out why the hell it worked on the front and not the rear.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-05-2015, 07:01 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
For newbies, I highly recommend YouTube videos from "Eric the Car Guy" - he points out the differences between front and rear calipers and shows you a few options to retract the rear pistons. Some times he uses the special tool, sometimes a large Flathead screwdriver, and sometimes I have seen him use a pry bar.

Anyhow, lots of YouTube videos are dangerous, but ETCG videos are spot on. Check them out.
teezythakidd likes this.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #10 of 10 Old 04-05-2015, 07:19 AM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to Throwdown
I'd recommend just picking up the square box socket tool that most car parts stores and likely even Walmart has. It's one of those small things in your tool box that you'll buy once and unless you are doing a LOT of brake jobs, you'll have it for years or possibly even the rest of your life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||

Don't see the parts you are looking for...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.