Low Tire Pressure Indicator Light - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-09-2008, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to Throwdown
Low Tire Pressure Indicator Light

Okay, it's been off and on for a few weeks now (assumed it was the weather) so I have to ask the question. The past few weeks my Low Tire Pressure Light (the one that looks like a fish bowl with an exclaimation mark, not the TPMS light next to it) keeps coming on sparatically.

I'm assuming this has something to do with winter weather temperature drop. Anyways, it's coming off and on. Last night I checked with the pressure gauge and some were down around 25 so I filled them back up to 35. Still nothing now that they are all balanced.

Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas? A lot of times it will go off after I drive for a while (figured it was the wheels heating up) - but any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||

Don't see the parts you are looking for...
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-09-2008, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

I just had the same thing occur today. Normally I have my car garaged, but it was out last night in the cold and frost. I had the tires checked at my local America's Tire Store.

A couple were slightly low, just enough to trigger the light. After topping 'em off, and a couple miles of driving, the light reset and switched off.

The Tech mentioned they have seen this occuring quite a bit lately with Accords.

Cheers,

/rmr

One Honda 'Funatic' -- Never been without one !!

Hondas currently owned:
'08 Accord EX Sedan (4 cyl) - RBP w/ 35K miles
'02 Odyssey - SS Metallic EX-L RES w/ 150K miles
'02 Civic LX - White w/ 76K

Hondas previously owned:
'99 CR-V EX sold with 187K miles
'87 Accord LXi sold with over 200K miles
'86 CRX sold with 180K miles
post #3 of 20 Old 12-09-2008, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

My indicator went on a few days ago, on what was by far the coldest night of the year (a bone-chilling 58 degrees in south Florida!). Went to my car the next morning and the light was still on. So I went to a local mechanic, who measured my tire pressure and said everything was fine. He said the light would most likely shut itself off within a few miles.

While pulling out of the parking lot the light shut itself off and hasn't returned since.

post #4 of 20 Old 12-09-2008, 08:05 PM
8th Gen Crazy.....

Send a message via AIM to shift 718
It turns on when its very cold...don't worry your tire is fine
post #5 of 20 Old 12-09-2008, 08:07 PM
3rd Gear

You should measure the pressure in your tires when they are COLD. If they are low, add air. That's all the light is telling you.

As you drive the air in the tires heats up and expands... That is probably why the light went out after driving for a while.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-09-2008, 08:10 PM
5th Gear

Send a message via AIM to Demonik
i have had one tire repeatedly lose pressure...from 34 to 22ish in about 2 weeks...tire checks out fine (no holes) so i have no clue what is causing it

just need to find the time to take it to the dealer to get it check out/new rim put on under warranty...

either way im getting tired of filling the thing up.

Code:
'08 Honda Accord LX-S / Nighthawk Black Pearl / Black Interior

CURRENT MODS
 6000k 55 watt HID kit / Interior and Exterior LED conversion
 25/15/15 tint / Autozone grille mod
post #7 of 20 Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 PM
4th Gear

I have the same problem with sedan. In the cold the light would come on. Obviously since air does not expand when it is cold, the tire thinks it is low on pressure. So this is the best time to add air. I normally inflate to 35-36 all around.

I also thought one tire used to keep losing air air pressure, but haven't noticed it in a while. We'll see what happens though, I only have about 3k on my car.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 08:01 AM
4th Gear

I would make the suggestion of using Nitrogen in the tires instead of air. Here in Toronto we are having up and down temps. So far with the Nitrogen in the tires I have yet to have the sensor turn on. Nitrogen doesn't fluctuate as much as air with temp changes. Also with nitrogen there is no moisture in the tire. Usually with air, if it is not properly filtered, will have alot of moisture in it. The moisture also makes the air temp fluctuate more during temp changes. I personally have never bothered with nitrogen before but once I got this car with the TPMS I got my winters installed with nitrogen. No worries about the sensor going off. Glad I did.

'08 Accord V6 AT w/Navi PMM
18" Enkei EM3K wheels
Venture Shield Clear Bra
post #9 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Manong

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwind View Post
I would make the suggestion of using Nitrogen in the tires instead of air. Here in Toronto we are having up and down temps. So far with the Nitrogen in the tires I have yet to have the sensor turn on. Nitrogen doesn't fluctuate as much as air with temp changes. Also with nitrogen there is no moisture in the tire. Usually with air, if it is not properly filtered, will have alot of moisture in it. The moisture also makes the air temp fluctuate more during temp changes. I personally have never bothered with nitrogen before but once I got this car with the TPMS I got my winters installed with nitrogen. No worries about the sensor going off. Glad I did.
where would a person get Nitrogen?

Mine: 08 BBP EX-L Coupe w/Navi Hers: 06 Atomic Blue Civic Coupe w/NAVI

No ticky, no washee
post #10 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 AM
5th Gear

I believe the ICON comes on when tire PSI drops to 25 PSI. Just remember this simple rule. Set your tire pressure when COLD and to be safe I usually add a pound or two during the winter.

And yes,once you start driving the tires will heat up causing the air to warm and the PSI to increase, so if your close to the LOW trigger point the warmed air could be enough to turn off the light until the next time the tires cool.

The system is working as designed.

Tom
2008 Accord EX-L A5 w/Nav
post #11 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 AM
4th Gear

There should be some tire shops in your area that should have it. I remember someone saying that Costco in the States uses Nitrogen. Most performance shops should have it. You will have to pay for it. My shop charged $20 but any refills or top ups are free. Alot of tire shops don't have it because the machine is not cheap.

EDIT: If you are out and about and need to top up you can use air to top up no problem. If I ever need to do this I can always go later to my shop and they will extract all the air and refill with nitrogen again.

'08 Accord V6 AT w/Navi PMM
18" Enkei EM3K wheels
Venture Shield Clear Bra
post #12 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 11:14 AM
5th Gear

Yep same thing happened to me on Sat while changing the oil. Although the lowest of the tires were only at 29 psi so that seems odd. I filled them up to 32 and the light went off. I had thought that these go off only when you have a 5 psi loss.

[SIZE="1"]
2007 TSX - Auto - 93k miles - Non Nav - CGP - Mine
2009 Altima 2.5 SL - 123k miles - Auto - Sister's
1999 Accord LX Sedan - Auto - 109k miles Dad's
2012 Camry LE - Auto - 18k miles Mom's
2016 Pilot - 22k miles Sister's
post #13 of 20 Old 12-10-2008, 11:34 AM
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV

The TPMS light has been coming on and off for me last few days (it's been relatively cold here in Northern California). I checked my tires cold and they were all between 27 and 28 psi. So I filled them up to 33 and now no more TPMS light. My car rides alot stiffer though.

08 Accord V6 Coupe Auto NAV PMM/Black

Haves:
20% Tint / 55W 5K HID / Debadged / Rebadged with HFP Emblems / No DRLs / 7th Gen Coupe Headrests / Oddyssey Lower Grill / 20" Privat Vulkans 20x8.5 45 ET / 245 35 20 Nitto Extreme ZR 555's / HFP Suspension / TSX RSB / Magnaflow CBE / Crosstour Shifter / Xpel Fog Light Film

Wants:
Rearview Camera / Hacked Navi

Previous Rides:
2000 CLK 320
1995 3000GT
1988 Supra Turbo
1982 Supra
1985 Accord
post #14 of 20 Old 12-11-2008, 09:10 AM
1st Gear

Yeah this happened to me too a while ago, it was around 1 degree outside.
its weird because when I pressed my VSA button to turn it off it doesn't turn off. When i aired up my tires, my VSA works again!

----------------------------------------------
Life is Nice
2008 Accord Coupe LX-S 5A/T Alabaster Silver Metallic
De-Badged
Short Ram Fujita Air Intake
Chrome Grille

Coming Soon:
6000k HIDs
post #15 of 20 Old 12-11-2008, 06:43 PM
can'tpoop

It's in the instruction booklet that you cannot turn off the VSA when the TPM light is on.

2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L i4 Nighthawk Black Pearl manual trans. - 39k miles.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.